to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Metro: Last Light review: Gruelling, oppressive, but well wo

Your comments on our articles.

Better shooting helps elevate Russian sequel

Metro: Last Light's world might be lacking the glorious vistas, the Kinkade-esque veneration of light and the surreal architecture of Bioshock Infinite's colourful Columbia, but make no mistake: its universe is every bit as impressive and as captivating as the one Booker DeWitt ripped apart in 1912.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Jingee » 13 May 2013, 17:14

Nice review. Any more info on how it plays on PC in regards to system spec/configuration?
Jingee 50

Re: Metro: Last Light review: Gruelling, oppressive, but wel

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 May 2013, 17:17

Didnt finish the first one but felt the premise was all there for a really good game.

Seen quite a few positive reviews so im going to bite the bullet and pick this up at the weekend, hopefully not tearing my hair out by Sunday night!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby karkify » 13 May 2013, 17:31

I look forward to trying this out at some point, but the reviews don't fill me with hope. I was hoping for a more refined Metro 2033, not Die Hard 2033. Still, at least the atmosphere has been kept intact. If it weren't for that, I don't think I would have bothered with 2033 after a certain point; the kind of of atmosphere Fallout can only dream of achieving.
karkify 50

Postby sonic_uk » 13 May 2013, 17:52

I saw this over on gametrailers and I have to say it looks amazing. Nice detailed review here too. Its good to see there's more emphasis on stealth this time around.

Interesting you mentioned the gamma levels too - normal Tv and some other games display correctly but I generally find the vast majority of games even when adjusted according to the instructions are way too dark, and I find myself having to adjust to a higher gamma level to be able to see properly. The danger of course is if set too high it can take away some atmosphere of the game so you have to reach a fine balance which is sometimes difficult depending on the game, and I have the added issue of daily migraines so I really have to be careful with brightness and contrast settings to avoid triggering this off.

I really enjoyed the first Metro, which must surely be one of the most underrated games of all time. The atmosphere was very unique and I loved the cobbled together weapons and having to survive any way you can. I'm very much looking forward to playing this.
Last edited by sonic_uk on 13 May 2013, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 13 May 2013, 17:53

That's more like it, never got to grips with Bioshock infinite, bit too clean and bright for me, much prefer the gritty, dark environments of survival horror games of the past or Dishonoured and old Gears games.

KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby gmcb007 » 13 May 2013, 18:23

Can't wait for this. The first game really amazed me and had a universe that you just want to see more of. I'm glad the small things like charging your battery and manually changing your filter are back, they really add to the survival theme.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Terranova1 » 13 May 2013, 18:45

I see there is no mention of having to pay to get ranger mode unlocked if you didn't pre-order .. why not CVG
Terranova1 35

Postby plain_kloz_cop » 13 May 2013, 18:49

I would buy Metro, but STALKER beat them to it back in 2007.

Also, no mention of the hard/ Ranger mode being set as DLC ~£5? Don't know about you chaps, but that's a deal breaker right there for me.
plain_kloz_cop 47

Postby Gameoholic007 » 13 May 2013, 19:38

Good review, I can't wait to play this, it sounds great! :D
Gameoholic007 55

Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Postby TheLastDodo » 13 May 2013, 19:40

Really want this but I've got to finish Combat Evolved before I start 2033 :| .

plain_kloz_cop wrote:I would buy Metro, but STALKER beat them to it back in 2007.

Also, no mention of the hard/ Ranger mode being set as DLC ~£5? Don't know about you chaps, but that's a deal breaker right there for me.

They mentioned it, you get it as part of the Limited Edition, which is actually the standard edition, going on amazon and game's websites.

Did anyone complain about having to pay for Ranger Mode with 2033? It's 240 points on XBLA.

Just wondering if it's the higher price or the principle that people are getting hot and bothered over.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby rhyfel » 13 May 2013, 19:48

charging for a hard mode? it i'll be ammo pack's next.
rhyfel 37

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 13 May 2013, 19:49

TheLastDodo wrote:Really want this but I've got to finish Combat Evolved before I start 2033 :| .

plain_kloz_cop wrote:I would buy Metro, but STALKER beat them to it back in 2007.

They mentioned it, you get it as part of the Limited Edition, which is actually the standard edition, going on amazon and game's websites.

Did anyone complain about having to pay for Ranger Mode with 2033? It's 240 points on XBLA.

Just wondering if it's the higher price or the principle that people are getting hot and bothered over.

Just people moaning for the sake of things. I dont care personally, Metro is hard as balls on the standard difficulty, so I would never play Ranger mode
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby plain_kloz_cop » 13 May 2013, 20:42

Just people moaning for the sake of things.

You have to admit though, this is the thin end of the wedge. Things like this should come as standard.

Actually, maybe we're halfway up the wedge...and maybe it's not a wedge, but a broom handle...and maybe it's not under a door, but rather it's up...I'm gonna stop now...
plain_kloz_cop 47

Postby qSPARTANp » 13 May 2013, 20:49

Was a huge fan of Metro 2033, just needed an option to turn the flashing ammo/pickups off etc. Shame the developers "RANGER MODE", the supposed "true" experience is a pre-order bonus????????????????

Hope they have not p**sed about too much with this, the gunplay in Metro felt awesome!
qSPARTANp 50

Postby beastie » 13 May 2013, 22:36

If I had a gaming PC with a few Titans wedged in I'd be getting this game day one,
On me old cog whirring Xbox I'll wait until it's half price somewhere.
beastie 53

Next