to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony 'won't take a big hit' introducing PS4 like it did with

Your comments on our articles.

CFO Masaru Kato explains the different business model Sony adopted for its new console

Sony's adoption of third party technology and production capabilities for PS4 means the company won't take the "big hit" it suffered launching the console's predecessor.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Fr33Kye » 09 May 2013, 17:42

Speaking of the cell sony, have you given any thought to my idea of an expensive ultra super special deluxe alpha squadron playstation 4 that has the components to play all playstation games? Because zero backwards compatibility is making me incredibly f**king sad.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby BlueScorpion91 » 09 May 2013, 17:53

Good to hear that they're being smart with their being smart with their money, a company that is silly with money is a silly company. :p
Cheeky & Geeky since 1991 | 3DS Mii code: 2766-8673-8011(Ammy). PM me if you add me and I'll add you back. | Twitter: @BlueScorpion91
BlueScorpion91 42

PSN ID: bluscorp91
Wii Code: 3DS 2766 8673 8011
Steam: psn_bluscorp91

Re: Sony 'won't take a big hit' introducing PS4 like it did

Postby shiwayb » 09 May 2013, 17:55

To be quite honest, the PS3 failed to somewhat live up to the expectations of its 'amazin Cell Processor.

In the end, the graphics on both consoles are similar with the 360 having a slight advantage, possibly because developers use it / used it as a lead console or because it was easier to develops for.

No PS3 game in the end differentiated itself in the graphics area that was substantially superior than the 360.

But, it seems the next gen will also feature relatively similar hardware, which isn't really a bad thing...
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2842130498.png = 120 Mb.

AlienWare ALX Area 51 PC + 30" Dell Monitor
Samsung 52" Full HDTV
Cambridge Audio Amp + Kef Speakers
Xbox 360 Slim (Halo 4 LE)
PS3 80 GB
iPhone 5S
shiwayb 55

Xbox Live: Io BALLiSTiC oI
PSN ID: Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

Postby BlueScorpion91 » 09 May 2013, 17:55

Fr33Kye wrote:Speaking of the cell sony, have you given any thought to my idea of an expensive ultra super special deluxe alpha squadron playstation 4 that has the components to play all playstation games? Because zero backwards compatibility is making me incredibly f**king sad.

Why? Surely you buy a new machine to play new games. I know it's nice to have just one machine but I can't see how it's a big deal. And if you have the games already then won't you already have the console?
Cheeky & Geeky since 1991 | 3DS Mii code: 2766-8673-8011(Ammy). PM me if you add me and I'll add you back. | Twitter: @BlueScorpion91
BlueScorpion91 42

PSN ID: bluscorp91
Wii Code: 3DS 2766 8673 8011
Steam: psn_bluscorp91

Postby manky » 09 May 2013, 18:01

Fr33Kye wrote:Speaking of the cell sony, have you given any thought to my idea of an expensive ultra super special deluxe alpha squadron playstation 4 that has the components to play all playstation games? Because zero backwards compatibility is making me incredibly f**king sad.

Yeah - 'cos I buy a new game console to play all my old games on it.
manky 28

Postby Fr33Kye » 09 May 2013, 18:15

BlueScorpion91 wrote:
Why? Surely you buy a new machine to play new games. I know it's nice to have just one machine but I can't see how it's a big deal. And if you have the games already then won't you already have the console?

manky wrote:
Yeah - 'cos I buy a new game console to play all my old games on it.

Because ideally sony's next console would be the best console ever, and i would think that would mean doing everything the past consoles could do and more. If they don't have backwards compatibility, when someone asks if they should get a ps4 it is actually a serious question when they are also looking at the playstation 3 and 2. I still have my ps2, but i don't know how long it will keep running. And besides the mere convenience of having all your games running on your new console, do you not see the appeal in one playstation to rule them all? One that doesn't dismiss 3 generations of playstation games? Imagine if when you bought a new ipod it couldn't play any songs that were released before it came out.......
Fr33Kye 70

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 May 2013, 18:16

So what's happening with the Cell, do Sony utilize it in anything else?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby Taus » 09 May 2013, 18:19

shiwayb wrote:To be quite honest, the PS3 failed to somewhat live up to the expectations of its 'amazin Cell Processor.

In the end, the graphics on both consoles are similar with the 360 having a slight advantage, possibly because developers use it / used it as a lead console or because it was easier to develops for.

No PS3 game in the end differentiated itself in the graphics area that was substantially superior than the 360.

But, it seems the next gen will also feature relatively similar hardware, which isn't really a bad thing...

I thought Uncharted 2 distinguished itself in every way from its nearest competitors, hence the GOYT awards

Killzone 2, terrible game to be honest, but the graphics were excellent at points

Is Uncharted 2 and decent graphics on KZ2 enough to plunge billions into a custom chipset? Did that custom chip deliver enough performance to distinguish the platform from its competitors. Answer to both those questions is No, albeit I would have like to seen some performance metrics on the hardware, CPU utilization vs RAM utilization

With only 250MG + 250MG of RAM (I.e.not unified RAM) I suspect the PS3 was an unbalanced machine, potentially the RAM was the bottleneck not the CPU

Either way, PS3 architecture will go down in the text books as an example of corporate folly - this is what happens in technology projects when you do not have the necessary checks and balances to keep the project focused on the objectives. It is clear, 7 years on, Ken K had a lot of influence on the PS design without anyone seemingly constraining him
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby damoxuk » 09 May 2013, 18:19

I'm sure the cell is used in smart TV's?
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby Gameoholic007 » 09 May 2013, 18:29

shiwayb wrote:To be quite honest, the PS3 failed to somewhat live up to the expectations of its 'amazin Cell Processor.

Your wrong, I have both systems, and I can easly tell the difference when it comes to comparison to 1st party titles. The PS3 out did the 360 in graphics, physics, A.I behavior/mapping, and video resolution among other things. The 360 really didn't have a slight advantage in anything when it came to performance, except data readout speed off the disk. The PS3 mainly lacked in memory, having 512mb split independent(256/256), when the CBE uses a lot of it. But, the 360 has 512 unified memory, which was set up better for developers, but had a few cons with it, like gameplay stopping for loading in the middle of playing the game, Gears of War and Oblivion were notorious for this. You would actually notice this without having to try, if you actually played games on both systems, and knew anything about hardware. :)
Last edited by Gameoholic007 on 09 May 2013, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Gameoholic007 54

Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Postby Gameoholic007 » 09 May 2013, 18:33

StonecoldMC wrote:So what's happening with the Cell, do Sony utilize it in anything else?

The Cell was used in Toshiba tv's, but I don't know if it still is to this day. But the Cell technology is mostly used in super computers (32 core chips).
Gameoholic007 54

Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Postby Taus » 09 May 2013, 18:34

StonecoldMC wrote:So what's happening with the Cell, do Sony utilize it in anything else?

I gather the plan was for the Cell to be the de facto processor for all Sony products - TVs, imaging, media servers etc - and also the base chipset for future generations of PlayStations, they were going to design multicore cell processors, each core being a cell with multiple SPEs in its own right

Well, that was the plan anyways and Sony being Sony, the company invested heavily in bespoke manufacturing facilities, as the CFO said, an investment of several hundreds of millions.

In fairness to Sony, the Cell was part of a wider alliance with IBM, I had IBM try to sell me their range of blade, high density compute, servers with Cell processors, that was 6 years ago. As they explained, the performance (compute power) well exceeded x86 chipsets of the time (x86 = Intel processors) but I couldn't agree to purchase them; all our code would have needed to be regression and performance tested on the new hardware - I just didn't need the hassle and didn't have the budget or willingness to do it

And that is the last I heard of the Cell apart from on CVG
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby me4pd » 09 May 2013, 18:39

Won't take a hit? Who will then? Us?
me4pd 48

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 May 2013, 18:46

Cheers guys.

It hasnt been a total waste of money then. Sony sure do know how to squander lots of money :lol: .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby S-Smith » 09 May 2013, 18:55

At least they learnt from their mistakes. Hopefully the internet won't be so hard on SONY to when the PS4 comes out but as soon as MS show their new console i fear sites like this & every other gaming site will just trash-talk the PS4 i bet for no reason like they did with the PS3. Oh well.
S-Smith 41

Next