to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PlayStation income sinks by £180m

Your comments on our articles.

Decrease in PSP sales and Vita price cut blamed

Sony's PlayStation business has posted a notable drop in sales and operating income for the financial year ended March 31.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PlayStation income sinks by £180m

Postby stealth » 09 May 2013, 12:26

sony uses shipped numbers to which makes it extra bad
stealth 47

Re: PlayStation income sinks by £180m

Postby Schlowbro » 09 May 2013, 12:31

amg if sony keep dis up dey may ave 2 stop makin consolz nd b lyk sega...wait...wrong company I'm dooming, never mind.
Schlowbro 48

Postby toaplan » 09 May 2013, 12:46

The PS3 seems to have sold very well in the latest January-March quarter: 3,4 million units. To be accurate, that figure is the total for PS3 & PS2, but at this point it's got to be mostly PS3s, as the PS2 has been discontinued already (at least in Japan).

If PS3 sales could keep up the 15 million / year pace, it would only take a little over a year to reach the magical 100 million lifetime units...
toaplan 73

Postby xJohnOx » 09 May 2013, 12:53

I do not currently own a Sony machine, but I wish Sony good luck with the incoming PlayStation 4. I had some great gaming moments on the previous PlayStation machines. Unfortunately, I never got around to owning a PlayStation 3 due to the price off the console, it's quite expensive. I think a price drop on PlayStation 3 and also it's handheld PSP Vita would do wonders for Sony.

A bit off topic, but I truly hope that we see a new Sega console come some day soon to. I grew up on Sega's machines, and what a great moment it would be for videogame business on a whole, to see them emerge with a new console.
xJohnOx 20

Postby MrPirtniw » 09 May 2013, 13:03

xJohnOx wrote:I do not currently own a Sony machine, but I wish Sony good luck with the incoming PlayStation 4. I had some great gaming moments on the previous PlayStation machines. Unfortunately, I never got around to owning a PlayStation 3 due to the price off the console, it's quite expensive. I think a price drop on PlayStation 3 and also it's handheld PSP Vita would do wonders for Sony.

A bit off topic, but I truly hope that we see a new Sega console come some day soon to. I grew up on Sega's machines, and what a great moment it would be for videogame business on a whole, to see them emerge with a new console.

I grew up with Sega too- I used to be obsessed with Nintendo but when Sonic finally arrived I jumped ship and never looked back... until he started talking. Ugh. As much as I like the idea of a new Sega console they're really not in the position to be able to do that anymore- and Sega really are just a shadow of their former selves these days, releasing a few good games now and then just doesn't cut it.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby patiotom » 09 May 2013, 13:09

Profit figures that hide the fact that have been loosing money hand over fist for the last decade. Wonder how much the sale of the US HQ for $1.1b or the redundancy of 6% of the work force played in these figures?
patiotom 34

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 09 May 2013, 13:13

xJohnOx wrote:I do not currently own a Sony machine, but I wish Sony good luck with the incoming PlayStation 4. I had some great gaming moments on the previous PlayStation machines. Unfortunately, I never got around to owning a PlayStation 3 due to the price off the console, it's quite expensive. I think a price drop on PlayStation 3 and also it's handheld PSP Vita would do wonders for Sony.

A price drop for the PS3 are you kidding me? You can pick up a brand new super slim for £130 and if you shop around you can get them for even less. Imanaged to pick one up on ebay for£80.

Also, Sega will never make another games console. they don't have the money or the Knowhow to do it anymore. It wouldn't be a great day for the industry it'd just push the already struggling company into bankrupcy.

If you miss Sega, buy a nintendo machine. all the games you loved from your childhood are available on the VC.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Dalaeck » 09 May 2013, 13:21

If the PS4 fails, it's another SEGA. They have nothing to fall back onto.
Dalaeck 42

Postby toaplan » 09 May 2013, 13:22

patiotom wrote:Profit figures that hide the fact that have been loosing money hand over fist for the last decade. Wonder how much the sale of the US HQ for $1.1b or the redundancy of 6% of the work force played in these figures?

Asset sales in the past year were a big contributor in the return to profitability of the overall Sony corporation. But the games division nowadays reports its own operating figures, which don't include any of the corporate-level asset sales.

The games division made an operating profit again last year, although a significantly smaller profit than in the year before that.
toaplan 73

Postby S-Smith » 09 May 2013, 13:37

This site [& 99% of other so-called gaming sites] just love any negative PlayStation News. It's like SONY killed their families or something lol
S-Smith 41

Postby toaplan » 09 May 2013, 13:42

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Also, Sega will never make another games console. they don't have the money or the Knowhow to do it anymore. It wouldn't be a great day for the industry it'd just push the already struggling company into bankrupcy.

Sega's parent company Sammy is a relatively wealthy company though. Recently they made the biggest purchase (Relic) in the THQ auction. Also the stock price of Sega-Sammy Holdings is currently at multi-year highs, which is a positive sign.

I'd like to see a new Sega console, one that would use the same (or more powerful, but compatible) AMD APU as the PS4 (and IllumiBox?), so that porting would be easy and it would get the necessary third-party support. They should also get some of the key people like Suzuki, Naka and Mizuguchi back onboard. I know Naka at least has said he'd like Sega to make another console :) and I think Suzuki has said he'd like to make Shenmue 3.
toaplan 73

Postby MrPirtniw » 09 May 2013, 13:48

S-Smith wrote:This site [& 99% of other so-called gaming sites] just love any negative PlayStation News. It's like SONY killed their families or something lol

"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby The Drunken Spy » 09 May 2013, 13:49

toaplan wrote:
patiotom wrote:Profit figures that hide the fact that have been loosing money hand over fist for the last decade. Wonder how much the sale of the US HQ for $1.1b or the redundancy of 6% of the work force played in these figures?

Asset sales in the past year were a big contributor in the return to profitability of the overall Sony corporation. But the games division nowadays reports its own operating figures, which don't include any of the corporate-level asset sales.

The games division made an operating profit again last year, although a significantly smaller profit than in the year before that.

Indeed. While Sony's future may still be a bit iffy (selling assets to reach a paltry profit isn't exactly confidence boosting), the Playstation brand makes money and would survive quite easily elsewhere or maybe even independently if Sony were to go belly up.
The Drunken Spy 50

Xbox Live: KillMeOnceMore
PSN ID: KillMeOnceMore

Postby dmanning » 09 May 2013, 14:02

I think the PS4 may be Sony's last console going by their performance business wise.
dmanning 48

Postby toaplan » 09 May 2013, 14:15

The Drunken Spy wrote:While Sony's future may still be a bit iffy (selling assets to reach a paltry profit isn't exactly confidence boosting)

They still need to improve the TV and mobile phone businesses further, and obviously the PS4 will be a crucial product for the future. On the bright side, movies, music and financial services are making steady profits every year. The corporate net profit for the past fiscal year was 43bn yen ($436m; £280m), so not that paltry.
toaplan 73

Next