to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo telling Wii owners 'Wii U is not just an upgrade'

Your comments on our articles.

Messages delivered via WiiConnect24

Nintendo is sending messages to Wii owners stressing the Wii U is a brand new console and "not just an upgrade".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Nintendo telling Wii owners 'Wii U is not just an upgrade'

Postby Drusus » 02 May 2013, 09:55

All of this, all of this, avoided with a 2. When your audience is not tech savvy, keep it simple.
Drusus 58

Re: Nintendo telling Wii owners 'Wii U is not just an upgrad

Postby Balladeer » 02 May 2013, 10:04

This would be a wonderful, cost-effective way to do it... but how many of the "casual" Wii owners, i.e. those without the "tech. savvy" Drusus mentions, will actually have their Wii online? Especially now? Old-fashioned billboards and newspaper adverts are still the best way, I'm afraid.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby dwhlufc » 02 May 2013, 10:10

Balladeer wrote:This would be a wonderful, cost-effective way to do it... but how many of the "casual" Wii owners, i.e. those without the "tech. savvy" Drusus mentions, will actually have their Wii online? Especially now? Old-fashioned billboards and newspaper adverts are still the best way, I'm afraid.

Glad you said it, mate.

Maybe pay for a commercial at half time during the Champions League final. Millions watching so huge so huge sales potential, just make sure the message is clear that's it's a new HD console with full backwards compatibility.
dwhlufc 75

Postby Balladeer » 02 May 2013, 10:16

Anybody who's bought a Wii U hoping for long-term western third-party support is a derp and deserves all they get.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby TheLastDodo » 02 May 2013, 10:18

Why not do this 6-12 months ago? Why not do it after the first reveal and launch?
TheLastDodo 77

Postby ingy » 02 May 2013, 10:29

I think the problem is their mass market of casual owners don't want or care about a new wii anyway, that was always going to be the case. And us so called core gamers know the difference but are just not interested.
ingy 63

Postby scatterbrain02 » 02 May 2013, 10:33

I am really happy with my wii u. When the 360 and ps3 launched there weren't many games either. Seems to be a regular occurrence with launches. However, do agree there is no killer app and not enough differentiation between current consoles. In all honesty I bought it for the Nintendo games. I am happy that it is not a success it means Nintendo will try a lot harder like they are doing with the 3DS. Specs don't matter anymore it's how you use the features. I am loving my 3DS and am sure the Wii U will have no issues later on.
scatterbrain02 40

Postby KesMonkey » 02 May 2013, 10:35

TheLastDodo wrote:Why not do this 6-12 months ago? Why not do it after the first reveal and launch?

They weren't desperate then. Nintendo are practically begging at this stage.

It's time to start really considering the possibility that the Wii-U is going to be a massive failure.
Nintendo need to start announcing new Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Star Fox, Pilot Wings, Wave Race, and Metroid games.
Soon.
E3?
I like cake.
KesMonkey 62

Postby Jon Ahmad » 02 May 2013, 10:55

Here we go again. How many times have we heard the words 'Nintendo' and 'failure' in the same sentence? Yes, it's had a shakey start due to lack of quality content but let's just persevere at least until E3. I've bought one and I'm glad I did. In the near future, I'll enjoy the likes of Nintendo's brilliant first party titles amongst other gems produced by the likes of Retro, Platinum, CapCom and hopefully, Treasure to name a few. There's no denying that there are some fantastic titles on the horizon for the U and of course, impending stiff competition from the 'other two' but I think Nintendo have a big enough slice of the market to retain sustainability. We shall see...
Creator of The Jellydoodz
Jon Ahmad 52

Postby Barry316 » 02 May 2013, 10:55

It needs posters in bus stops, they always work. Just this morning i drove past one for Burger King and by crikey do i want one now.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby ingy » 02 May 2013, 11:41

They could always try releasing lots of motion control and party games for it.
ingy 63

Postby me4pd » 02 May 2013, 11:44

"And for the first time ever, you can see Mario and your favorite Nintendo franchises in glorious HD."

Yeah. That'll be the day.......
me4pd 48

Postby Zabba 2 » 02 May 2013, 11:52

Drusus wrote:All of this, all of this, avoided with a 2. When your audience is not tech savvy, keep it simple.

Probably didn't help that the console physically resembles a Wii either
Zabba 2 65

Postby Gemini40 » 02 May 2013, 12:16

I think its more of a case that a large percentage of Wii owners have moved on with the novelty having worn off.
Gemini40 51

Postby HelloLadies » 02 May 2013, 14:29

That article is just tragic. What a total comedy of errors.
HelloLadies 50

Next