to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to play

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo's classic games service is now live, but which games are worth your time?

After a five-month delay the Wii U's Virtual Console service has finally gone live, with seven games on offer in Europe and eight in North America.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to play

Postby toaplan » 27 Apr 2013, 10:48

Yep, disagree about F-Zero... The original F-Zero has a kind of purity and clarity to it. It's just you against a few rival vehicles on tight, flat, slippery tracks, where mistakes will cost you. The music perfectly reflects the action - it's funky, but in a restrained way. In F-Zero you always have to watch out for the next difficult turn, the next critical jump and for the opponent breathing down your neck as you hear his approaching jet engine get louder and louder.

The handling is initially frustratingly challenging, but can be mastered with practice and patience and ultimately feels like one of the strong aspects of the game. The graphics have dated a bit, but are still very smooth and should look better in terms of detail on the GamePad's lower-res screen, compared to watching on a HDTV.

F-Zero SNES HD gameplay video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ena8yX2HAZY

F-Zero SNES "Port Town" track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw5ZOEoshfE

F-Zero SNES "Sand Ocean" track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yrb_yFtSsc

F-Zero X added a lot more opponent vehicles, wider undulating tracks and a horrible rock soundtrack which ruined the game's atmosphere for me. To be fair, I never gave F-Zero X a proper chance and migrated over to the PS Wipeout and Ridge Racer games instead. But from what I've played it, it seems that the focus in F-Zero X is more in trying to avoid crashing into the many opponent vehicles that abruptly appear in front of you, instead of navigating the tracks, which seem to be much wider and more forgiving than in the original F-Zero. Also, the slowdown in F-Zero X can get pretty jarring at times.

F-Zero X N64 gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2uy78sLQak
User avatar
toaplan 73
 
Posts: 2701
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby roland82 » 28 Apr 2013, 21:42

At 11 I thought Super Mario World was one of the best games ever made. Today at 30 I would still argue the same thing. Its a game that every gamer should play.
User avatar
roland82 58
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: 22 Sep 2005, 17:39
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Laughlyn » 28 Apr 2013, 23:17

I was never a fan of the original F-Zero but the N64 version and eventually F-Zero GX on cube really showed how to do a futuristic racer. GX's speed and tracks were incredible and despite being frustratingly difficult the relief of finally getting Gold in every cup was one the best moments in my gaming life. i could still never expert the story mode level with the tunnel though. i had to use an AR to get the last AX piece lol
User avatar
Laughlyn 55
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: 20 Jan 2008, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Samurai-Don » 29 Apr 2013, 01:04

The European Kirby's Adventure isn't the 60Hz US versions.
User avatar
Samurai-Don 21
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 03:19

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Simon Carlin » 29 Apr 2013, 10:53

Just putting it out there but really, I think these games should be free.

I can't see how that would hurt them and what a nice incentive to buy Nintendo "enjoy the future with us but have our past, gratis".

It's 2013, how in the world are these games an exciting prospect to buy once again?
User avatar
Simon Carlin 25
 
Posts: 202
Joined: 29 Nov 2012, 14:45

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Chris Scullion » 29 Apr 2013, 14:41

Simon Carlin wrote:Just putting it out there but really, I think these games should be free.

I can't see how that would hurt them and what a nice incentive to buy Nintendo "enjoy the future with us but have our past, gratis".

It's 2013, how in the world are these games an exciting prospect to buy once again?

Because there will always be people who have never played them, such as younger gamers. Just because they're old doesn't mean they're no longer playable, and if people are willing to buy them I don't see why Nintendo should have to give them away for free. It's a business, after all.
User avatar
Chris Scullion
CVG Staff
 
Posts: 679
Joined: 30 Aug 2012, 23:27
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Scully1888
PSN ID: Scully1888

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Paul Skinback » 29 Apr 2013, 14:53

Chris Scullion wrote:
Simon Carlin wrote:Just putting it out there but really, I think these games should be free.

I can't see how that would hurt them and what a nice incentive to buy Nintendo "enjoy the future with us but have our past, gratis".

It's 2013, how in the world are these games an exciting prospect to buy once again?

Because there will always be people who have never played them, such as younger gamers. Just because they're old doesn't mean they're no longer playable, and if people are willing to buy them I don't see why Nintendo should have to give them away for free. It's a business, after all.

Agree with Simon here.
These games, although immensely playable, are over 20 years old.
I picked up F Zero for 30p on WiiU a little while ago and that's what the rest of them should cost.
And let's be honest now, Chris, if you weren't old enough to play them the first time around then it's unlikely that the young gamer will want to spend over a fiver for a 20+ year old game when they can pick up stuff for free to play on their phones no matter how playable those classics are.
In my eyes it would have been a goodwill gesture on Nintendo's part to have given those games for free or charged a token price like the 30p offer.
Old, ungifted and white.
User avatar
Paul Skinback 78
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: 24 Mar 2013, 13:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Barry316 » 29 Apr 2013, 14:58

I can lend you a tenner if you're struggling?
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
User avatar
Barry316 66
 
Posts: 7525
Joined: 20 Apr 2011, 21:23

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Paul Skinback » 29 Apr 2013, 15:05

Barry316 wrote:I can lend you a tenner if you're struggling?

Always struggling is me, Baz.
Couldn't make it a score perchance?
Old, ungifted and white.
User avatar
Paul Skinback 78
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: 24 Mar 2013, 13:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Samurai-Don » 29 Apr 2013, 18:07

Paul Skinback wrote:In my eyes it would have been a goodwill gesture on Nintendo's part to have given those games for free or charged a token price like the 30p offer.


Nintendo is a business not a charity, so why would they give the Games for free? Beside the game cost a £5-7 or 99p-£1 if brought them from the Wii Virtual console and are the proper US 60hz versions that alone justify the price.
User avatar
Samurai-Don 21
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 17 Nov 2011, 03:19

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Paul Skinback » 29 Apr 2013, 18:24

Samurai-Don wrote:
Paul Skinback wrote:In my eyes it would have been a goodwill gesture on Nintendo's part to have given those games for free or charged a token price like the 30p offer.


Nintendo is a business not a charity, so why would they give the Games for free? Beside the game cost a £5-7 or 99p-£1 if brought them from the Wii Virtual console and are the proper US 60hz versions that alone justify the price.

The decent ones are more than a fiver.
And 20+ years old.
Nintendo being a business rather than a charity would surely benefit them in the long run to sell these initial games very cheaply or give them away free. N64 games should be around the £5 mark.
Speculate to accumulate.
Old, ungifted and white.
User avatar
Paul Skinback 78
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: 24 Mar 2013, 13:20
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby ricflair » 29 Apr 2013, 19:23

Expecting them for free is ridiculous, as samurai said, they're a business! I think expecting them for a couple of quid is reasonable though, £5.49 is OTT. I don't mind it for Metroid, SMW, Mario Kart etc, but a blanket price for any SNES game is a bit crazy.
Woo
User avatar
ricflair 76
 
Posts: 12756
Joined: 19 Feb 2008, 23:13
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Re: Wii U Virtual Console: Our pick of the best games to pla

Postby Paul Skinback » 29 Apr 2013, 19:49

ricflair wrote:Expecting them for free is ridiculous, as samurai said, they're a business! I think expecting them for a couple of quid is reasonable though, £5.49 is OTT. I don't mind it for Metroid, SMW, Mario Kart etc, but a blanket price for any SNES game is a bit crazy.

Why shouldn't they be free though, mate?
At least to early adopters.
They gave 10 games away free to early 3DS owners afterall.
Old, ungifted and white.
User avatar
Paul Skinback 78
 
Posts: 6464
Joined: 24 Mar 2013, 13:20
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rammsoldat and 5 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]