to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nordic Games picks up Darksiders, Red Faction IPs

Your comments on our articles.

505 Games wins bid for Drawn to Life franchise

Nordic Games has acquired the rights to the Darksiders and Red Faction franchises as a result of the final THQ IP auctions.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Nordic Games picks up Darksiders, Red Faction IPs

Postby BenThomasFoster » 23 Apr 2013, 00:41

Very interesting! Darksiders still has potential as a franchise and mx vs atv does have a good niche in the market. Destroy all humans could be a good arcade game if made correctly. However I feel all other franchise at this point are pointless and you're better off just making a similar but free one.
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Re: Nordic Games picks up Darksiders, Red Faction IPs

Postby Imaduck » 23 Apr 2013, 00:51

Interesting! :) Good stuff.
Imaduck 58

Postby karkify » 23 Apr 2013, 00:58

I'm glad to see they've been saved. It is sad to see promising series die.
karkify 50

Postby TheLastDodo » 23 Apr 2013, 01:32

Pardon my ignorance but who are Nordic Games?

I checked out their wikipedia and only recognised Alan Wake (I guess PC version?), Rochard (an ok PSN game) and Painkiller (only by name though).

I love your optimism guys in the comments but I truly believe the Darksiders ship has sailed, it's barely above a cult game at this juncture, nothing wrong with that but it's never going to be the mainstream mega hit that you believe it deserves to be.

Happy someone picked it up as the series has it fans and that they'll be able to enjoy it once again hopefully but I'd say just enjoy it for yourselves if you get what I mean, don't go expecting everyone else to suddenly go mad for it.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby BenThomasFoster » 23 Apr 2013, 02:04

TheLastDodo wrote:Pardon my ignorance but who are Nordic Games?

I checked out their wikipedia and only recognised Alan Wake (I guess PC version?), Rochard (an ok PSN game) and Painkiller (only by name though).

I love your optimism guys in the comments but I truly believe the Darksiders ship has sailed, it's barely above a cult game at this juncture, nothing wrong with that but it's never going to be the mainstream mega hit that you believe it deserves to be.

Happy someone picked it up as the series has it fans and that they'll be able to enjoy it once again hopefully but I'd say just enjoy it for yourselves if you get what I mean, don't go expecting everyone else to suddenly go mad for it.

I think there is a game series that should take advantage of the myths about the 4 horse men and doing a small twist on it. whilst gameplay and maybe style wise darksiders could change like with the rebbot 3D castlvania it could be something cool
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby sm0k3y2307 » 23 Apr 2013, 07:53

forgot about full spectrum warrior it was a rather enjoyable game
sm0k3y2307 41

Xbox Live: sm0k3y2307
PSN ID: sm0k3y2307
Wii Code: 3DS 3265-6325-3204
Steam: kevjames

Postby RustySpoon80 » 23 Apr 2013, 08:28

When did THQ take control of Stuntman, if I remember correctly that was made by Reflections who also made Destruction Derby (a game that would be perfect online).

I was hoping that a larger studio would take over the Darksiders ip.
RustySpoon80 55

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 23 Apr 2013, 09:23

TheLastDodo wrote:Pardon my ignorance but who are Nordic Games?

At least their name fits the Darksiders bill, doesn't it? :wink:

I think the series has potential, and obviously the quality was there with the first two games. I doubt Darksiders will ever become a big hit, but with a decent budget and a talented studio behind they could very well deliver another episode for current gen and make it profitable, since next-gen would be too costly and not widespread enough to warrant good numbers before a while (save for heavy-hitters like Assassin's Creed, GTA or MGS).

All they need is to avoid naming it "Darksiders III", since the first two games only sold so much. The first one ended on a cliffhanger and the sequel only barely touched upon the first one's storyline (not to mention the radical changes to the gameplay), they have all the room in the world to pull a Snake Eater and deliver something great that's not a slave to its predecessors.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby ingy » 23 Apr 2013, 09:25

I would love to see Red Faction return to it's roots, what an amazing game the first one was considering it was on the ps2.

I can remember using the infinite ammo cheat and creating tunnels with the rocket launcher :D why is it that with all the power of the new consoles, level destruction has decreased, Battlefield springs to mind.

Oh and while i'm on topic, change it back to an fps, far better immersion.
ingy 63

Postby brookie_2001 » 23 Apr 2013, 10:50

RustySpoon80 wrote:When did THQ take control of Stuntman, if I remember correctly that was made by Reflections who also made Destruction Derby (a game that would be perfect online).

I was hoping that a larger studio would take over the Darksiders ip.

THQ published the game, they own the IP. Publishers usually own the IP. Like Microsoft with Halo, they own the IP, so they can do what they want with it.
brookie_2001 62

Postby sm0k3y2307 » 23 Apr 2013, 11:10

ingy wrote:I would love to see Red Faction return to it's roots, what an amazing game the first one was considering it was on the ps2.

I can remember using the infinite ammo cheat and creating tunnels with the rocket launcher :D why is it that with all the power of the new consoles, level destruction has decreased, Battlefield springs to mind.

Oh and while i'm on topic, change it back to an fps, far better immersion.

remember playing the original never finished it tho was to interested in causing as much destruction as possible
sm0k3y2307 41

Xbox Live: sm0k3y2307
PSN ID: sm0k3y2307
Wii Code: 3DS 3265-6325-3204
Steam: kevjames

Postby Ghostface_K » 23 Apr 2013, 11:12

Just started playing Darksiders 2 and really enjoy it, shame about the cruciable pass been taken off the PSN store. Not sure about Nordic picking up Darksiders, had hope an experienced/successful studio in developing similar games. I think Sanata Monica or Platinum games would had been better.
Ghostface_K 34

Postby iPliskin » 23 Apr 2013, 13:44

Not happy with this. I was all excited when Crytek said they will buy Darksiders IP
iPliskin 2
New user

Xbox Live: iSolidSnake7
PSN ID: iGooner7