Thomas Was Alone review: Patchy puzzle platforming

Your comments on our articles.

Idiosyncratic indie title takes a while to prove its point and never peaks

The underpinning simplicity of Thomas Was Alone is, for that crucial first half hour, a little grating. But over time it expands in complexity and morphs into a puzzle game that is pleasant and satisfying, though lacking in eureka moments. By the final few levels (about three hours in), its challenge plateaus and there isn't quite enough thinking going on.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Thomas Was Alone review: Patchy puzzle platforming

Postby TheLastDodo » 22 Apr 2013, 12:03

I'm not sure if it was the intention but that Tetris line sold me on this Rob :lol:.

I'm on PS Plus and TWA is free to subscribers this week anyway so nothing to lose.
TheLastDodo 77

Re: Thomas Was Alone review: Patchy puzzle platforming

Postby Rob Crossley » 22 Apr 2013, 12:31

TheLastDodo wrote:I'm not sure if it was the intention but that Tetris line sold me on this Rob :lol:.

I'm on PS Plus and TWA is free to subscribers this week anyway so nothing to lose.

Nice one dude, let me know what you think!
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby JD_Method » 22 Apr 2013, 12:39

I picked this up the other week while it was going cheap on Steam.

It's pretty decent for one playthrough, but I probably won't play it again any time soon.
JD_Method 58

Postby JPTiger » 22 Apr 2013, 14:59

I have this game and have played through it once. And, a bit like journey and other "experience games", I would say that it is a game that you play once for the experience (which for me is was a good experience), but never play again.

Shame though, because the narrative is very very good.
JPTiger 45

Postby chrisw92 » 23 Apr 2013, 08:37

I'll admit on first glance seeing the screenshots I thought "is this some sort of hipster thing?". But after playing the game (got it on a steam discount, and getting it again for free on PS+ soon) it made sense, I don't think he could have picked a better art style.

The simplicity fits perfectly, the levels aren't hard, nothings going "oh look at me", everything is just like "yeah, if you want to get into it your going to have fun. if you don't 'get' it, your not."

If it wasn't for the story the game would be a bit dreary. But its not like this should be sold as an audio-book, the way the narrative interacts with whatever your doing (yes, in a linear form just using trigger points... but still) makes it so much more enjoyable.

Are you going to hail this as your most played game? probably not.

Are you going to have a fun lazy afternoon playing this game? yeah.

Is it worth it, since its more about the story. Couldn't I just watch a movie? Sure, but good luck finding a movie where everyone is a block, doesn't talk and they keep jumping on the other actors. It's cheap enough, take a chance... If your on PS+ you get it for free anyway.
chrisw92 38