Dead Island Riptide review round-up

Your comments on our articles.

All the review scores in one place...

In our Dead Island Riptide review Alex Dale writes that the zombie thriller is "swamped by familiar flaws."... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dead Island Riptide review round-up

Postby RustySpoon80 » 22 Apr 2013, 10:29

Dead Island had some flaws but was quite fun. It wouldn't have taken much to turn it into a great game. But it sounds like they've not listened to any of the criticisms about the first game.
RustySpoon80 56

Re: Dead Island Riptide review round-up

Postby TheLastDodo » 22 Apr 2013, 10:47

Sterling is bang on the money yet again.

I'm a fan of the first Dead Island, it's nowhere near a GOTY contender, it's not innovative but at a base level it's good fun but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"..........there is so much to fix in the first Dead Island and to hear very little has been fixed is disappointing.

This game has always sounded like a cash grab to me, just by it's concept, but to read that it's suffering from the same issues as the first game (which were kinda understandable first time round - small dev, not much cash) well personally I find it lazy and tbh disrespectful and I won't be "upgrading" til they get their s**t together.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby FishyGinger » 22 Apr 2013, 11:20

TheLastDodo wrote:Sterling is bang on the money yet again.

I'm a fan of the first Dead Island, it's nowhere near a GOTY contender, it's not innovative but at a base level it's good fun but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"..........there is so much to fix in the first Dead Island and to hear very little has been fixed is disappointing.

This game has always sounded like a cash grab to me, just by it's concept, but to read that it's suffering from the same issues as the first game (which were kinda understandable first time round - small dev, not much cash) well personally I find it lazy and tbh disrespectful and I won't be "upgrading" til they get their s**t together.

What if it was made by suda51?

The first one interested me mildly but not quite enough to get it. This has me at an extremely high level of indifference
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby TheLastDodo » 22 Apr 2013, 11:25

If it had weapons called Big Boners then it would be a day one buy but it doesn't so it isn't.

Boners = sales.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Petebaldwin » 22 Apr 2013, 11:29

I really struggled with Dead Island. I wanted to like it but rather than thinking "just one more mission" before I went to bed, I thought "I really want to go to bed... I guess I should probably finish the mission first...."

If they've just released the same game again, I'm not going to bother. It's not an experience I want to try and go through again!!
Petebaldwin 25

Postby EvilWaterman » 22 Apr 2013, 11:35

Just seems like this is a quick cash in really. Shame really as this is one of a few games that really has a lot of untapped potential!

I tell you something, I'd like to see this game done properly and then turned into an MMORPG! PS4/xbox720 anybody??
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 55

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby illage2 » 22 Apr 2013, 12:03

The original Dead Island was fine, I have to dismiss the "More of the Same" because it means nothing to how good a game is. I loved the original and as such will be picking it up on Friday.

Sure it might have issues but they'll be patched at a later date. People who hate this game should go back to playing Call of Duty Zombies.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby roland82 » 22 Apr 2013, 12:34

TheLastDodo wrote:If it had weapons called Big Boners then it would be a day one buy but it doesn't so it isn't.

Boners = sales.

Why are saying this like its a joke, I thought it was the first rule of international business.
roland82 59

Postby wotta » 22 Apr 2013, 12:35

Here's our review:

ShopTo - No Score

http://www.shopto.net/news/42508/Dead-I ... ide-Review

Cheers :)
wotta 50

Postby Solm » 22 Apr 2013, 12:38

Even if it's more of the same it's still better than that other Zombie game from Activision.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 54

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby FishyGinger » 22 Apr 2013, 12:43

illage2 wrote:The original Dead Island was fine, I have to dismiss the "More of the Same" because it means nothing to how good a game is. I loved the original and as such will be picking it up on Friday.

Sure it might have issues but they'll be patched at a later date. People who hate this game should go back to playing Call of Duty Zombies.

If I only don't care about it rather than hating it can I go back to playing what I was playing? Or do all people who not care about this game automatically love call of duty? Because that's prejudiced you bigot.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby c97dem » 22 Apr 2013, 13:16

illage2 wrote:The original Dead Island was fine, I have to dismiss the "More of the Same" because it means nothing to how good a game is. I loved the original and as such will be picking it up on Friday.

Seconded! Flawed but extremely fun game!
c97dem 55

Xbox Live: magic mugs
PSN ID: chenzee
Steam: thenephilim79

Postby illage2 » 22 Apr 2013, 13:58

FishyGinger wrote:

If I only don't care about it rather than hating it can I go back to playing what I was playing? Or do all people who not care about this game automatically love call of duty? Because that's prejudiced you bigot.

How is it prejudiced? They bashed this Dead Island for it being "More of the same" yet the same thing isn't applied to games like Call of Duty, hence why I don't take much notice of reviews.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby ingy » 22 Apr 2013, 14:53

Absolutely, other games, especially AAA titles aren't marked down for similar so-called flaws, and cod is one of them.

It's 'reviews' that are flawed, there shouldn't be scores for a start, instead there should just be the thoughts of the reviewer on how the game plays, then games like this one would review very similar to cod, ie more of the same but still a lot of fun.

If killing zombies in an open world with a variety of weapons, laced with some rpg elements and co-op play (if wanted) sounds like your kind of thing, then give it a try........
ingy 64

Postby Mini-Nev » 22 Apr 2013, 17:01

Dead Island was a very average game with huge flaws (the leveling system being the worst) and it seems like Techland learnt nothing for this cash grab sequel.
"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."
Mini-Nev 43

Xbox Live: minin3v
PSN ID: MLNLN3V

Next