Dead Island: Riptide review: Zombie thriller swamped by fami

Your comments on our articles.

It's got the moo-oo-ooo-oo-oves like stagger

Zombies, eh? At least their hearts are in the right place. So are their arms, for that matter. And their torso, legs and at least one of their eyeballs.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dead Island: Riptide review: Zombie thriller swamped by fami

Postby ingy » 22 Apr 2013, 08:14

Well, i loved the original, it was harshly criticised imo, so i'm definitely taking a punt on this :D
ingy 64

Re: Dead Island: Riptide review: Zombie thriller swamped by

Postby middle finger » 22 Apr 2013, 08:28

I did enjoy the first one even with its flaws. At 20 pounds after a month I'm sure I will enjoy it.
middle finger 68

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 22 Apr 2013, 08:55

"Since Dead Island is built for co-op it tends to gravitate towards fetch quests. Three people protected one guy carting a salvaged turret gun isn't so bad, but one guy having to constantly pick up and drop their quarry every time a zombie appears (which is ALL THE TIME)? Not so much. Then of course you have to trawl all the way back to pick up the other turret."

Really you went all the way back for the second one. You fool. you can stash them in the boat then you only need to make one trip.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby 360_Fan » 22 Apr 2013, 08:58

Yeah I will still give this a go. Anything with co op deserves a few extra points.
360_Fan 61

Postby Stryker89 » 22 Apr 2013, 10:53

People will forgive such glaring flaws as long as it means they get to kill a few zombies. I could forgive such flaws in the original Dead Island, but in the sequel..? No thanks. They should have learned by now.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby ingy » 22 Apr 2013, 11:22

Stryker89 wrote:People will forgive such glaring flaws as long as it means they get to kill a few zombies. I could forgive such flaws in the original Dead Island, but in the sequel..? No thanks. They should have learned by now.

You're right, they should have fixed any flaws from the original,

But most of the complaints in the review aren't flaws as such so didn't need fixing, i mean fetch quests are in every open world game going, but it's listed as a flaw in this one?

Also apparently, there are endless zombies to kill wtf?
ingy 64

Postby freds1 » 22 Apr 2013, 13:12

I enjoyed the first one, I expected something different after watching that trailer, but I enjoyed it.

I'll pick this up after a price drop though.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 57

Postby nefariousbig » 22 Apr 2013, 14:16

Well, it looks like you didn't take my advice and didn't play the game with the analog controls. You wouldn't have had to have ironically called the game repetitive about 30 times if you'd have played that way. There's nothing repetitive about perfectly smashing hordes of zombies in exactly the right places. Although it does seem that you don't really enjoy killing zombies that much, seeing as you didn't give any actual reasons for why it's repetitive. If it's repetitive because it makes you kill zombies over and over again then you should not be reviewing this game.
nefariousbig 52

Postby Petebaldwin » 22 Apr 2013, 15:04

ingy wrote:
Stryker89 wrote:People will forgive such glaring flaws as long as it means they get to kill a few zombies. I could forgive such flaws in the original Dead Island, but in the sequel..? No thanks. They should have learned by now.

You're right, they should have fixed any flaws from the original,

But most of the complaints in the review aren't flaws as such so didn't need fixing, i mean fetch quests are in every open world game going, but it's listed as a flaw in this one?

Also apparently, there are endless zombies to kill wtf?

The flaw is that basically every quest was a fetch quest! Skyrim is packed full of fetch/deliver quests but there are enough other ones that it keeps it varied. Dead Island felt more like Courier Simulator 2012.

For me, the biggest flaw was the combat. I never looked foward to a fight as it just felt like a chore.
Petebaldwin 25

Postby TheLastDodo » 22 Apr 2013, 15:28

nefariousbig wrote:Well, it looks like you didn't take my advice and didn't play the game with the analog controls. You wouldn't have had to have ironically called the game repetitive about 30 times if you'd have played that way. There's nothing repetitive about perfectly smashing hordes of zombies in exactly the right places. Although it does seem that you don't really enjoy killing zombies that much, seeing as you didn't give any actual reasons for why it's repetitive. If it's repetitive because it makes you kill zombies over and over again then you should not be reviewing this game.

I agree nefarious (well it had to happen eventually :)). It's very satisfying lining up and connecting with that perfect strike in Dead Island, not repetitive, certainly no less repetitive than shooting the thousandth fake Taliban grunt in the latest military FPS.

I was going to say it may be best for a fan to review this game but the Destructoid reviewer who was a fan of the first rated this less than CVG did.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Dannyb0yUK » 22 Apr 2013, 15:48

TheLastDodo wrote:I was going to say it may be best for a fan to review this game but the Destructoid reviewer who was a fan of the first rated this less than CVG did.

Why would it be best for somebody with a strong bias to review it? That's the worst possible kind of reviewer, someone who isn't impartial. Let's be honest, if fans of the first one aren't rating this one then it kinda says it all. The impression I get is that the first title just about got away with it's flaws- but that they've barely been addressed, let alone improved upon, which is simply inexcusable. Opinion I've seen from those who've played the game and looking at Youtube vids all seems to indicate a disappointing carbon-copy rehash of the first game.
Let's just discuss, not fight.
Dannyb0yUK 37

Postby TheLastDodo » 22 Apr 2013, 16:15

Strong bias sounds more like fanboys.

Fanboys? Absolutely not. Fans? Sure. It's a game clearly designed for the fans and real fans tend to be more critical of things they enjoy. But as you say, if the fans aren't enjoying it then that pretty much says it all anyway.

Which is why I brought up the Destructoid review, the Destructoid reviewer enjoyed the first game, gave it a 7, same guy gave Riptide a 5.

Impartial enough?
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Welsh Jester » 22 Apr 2013, 17:34

First one was rather poor so didn't expect much anyway, awful collission detection and terrible camera sway among other things.. just not enjoyable and was rather boring.

Left 4 Dead is a ton more fun than this, as is Killing Floor.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby alan666 » 22 Apr 2013, 18:36

Was hoping for better things from this game, i traded the original in after a couple of days, i have just now cancelled my order for the Dead Island: Riptide Zombie Bait Edition there is no way i am spending £89.99, the statue was pretty cool though.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Dannyb0yUK » 22 Apr 2013, 23:48

TheLastDodo wrote:Strong bias sounds more like fanboys.

Fanboys? Absolutely not. Fans? Sure. It's a game clearly designed for the fans and real fans tend to be more critical of things they enjoy. But as you say, if the fans aren't enjoying it then that pretty much says it all anyway.

Which is why I brought up the Destructoid review, the Destructoid reviewer enjoyed the first game, gave it a 7, same guy gave Riptide a 5.

Impartial enough?

A fair point, one I had not considered.

I wasn't saying the reviews aren't being impartial btw. I was merely questioning the need for someone who, by definition as a fan, wouldn't be impartial. However, you make a good counter-argument to that, so kudos :)
Let's just discuss, not fight.
Dannyb0yUK 37

Next