to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Fears over ban on UK games tax breaks

Your comments on our articles.

European Commission openly states it has reservations over the policy

The European Commission has said it will open an "in-depth investigation" into the viability and necessity of games tax breaks in the UK, throwing the existing plan into disarray.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Fears over ban on UK games tax breaks

Postby danbish » 16 Apr 2013, 15:09

When will these people mind their own damn business?
danbish 51

Re: Fears over ban on UK games tax breaks

Postby richomack360 » 16 Apr 2013, 15:11

Another victory for Europe, but a potential loss for the UK.

Roll on the next general election... (sorry to sound political)
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby bigste26 » 16 Apr 2013, 15:36

A general election will not work unless we pull out of the EU and become britain again.
bigste26 12

Postby frazzerr » 16 Apr 2013, 15:46

Why don't they mind their own damn business, the UK industry needs the tax break to help it move forward. Go focus on something more important than a tax break, is there not more important things to worry about in Europe than the UK giving their games industry a helping hand?
frazzerr 44

PSN ID: frazzerr_1

Postby danbish » 16 Apr 2013, 15:58

bigste26 wrote:A general election will not work unless we pull out of the EU and become britain again.

I dream of this every time I hear of the EU interfering in our business - which is pretty much every single day.
danbish 51

Postby Agent75 » 16 Apr 2013, 15:59

I don't even think any Government understands the gaming industry, it probably hasn't delved deep enough. But when you look at how many publishers and devs that are out there, the amount of consoles available, not forgetting next gen consoles and how many games are released each year, there's way too much of everything. Publishers etc. suffer for a lot of reasons. Games are priced too high, some publishers take the p**s with diferent versions, then you have all the DLC, games are even released with bugs, the quality of some games could be better, the same old franchises, cost of advertising, back handers to magazines in return for a great review to boost sales (it's goes on...). Not sure if there's any truth that around 70% of games flop, but I think next gen will break gaming, more so because most people are just not ready for it, plus it'll be too expensive. Tax breaks in any country just isn't justified, even in the UK, next every industry will ask for a tax break. Publishers spend way too much money on advertising, even over paying staff, some staff are under paid (I've been there...), it's all down to silly costs that they try to pass on to the consumer. The list goes on and on and on. But publishers and retailers will learn the hard way come next gen. The evidence is there with the 3DS, Vita and Wii U which all flopped at launch and I can't see it changing with the Xbox 720 and PS4, even if sales will move faster. Publishers etc. need to go back to basics, be realistic and stop aiming too high. Week in, week out, this dev goes under, this publisher goes under, this retailer goes under. The truth is out there...
Agent75 48

Postby frazzerr » 16 Apr 2013, 16:16

Tax breaks in any country just isn't justified, even in the UK, next every industry will ask for a tax break.

So what about the tax break the UK film industry gets then? You say giving the industry a tax break can't be justified, justify the tax break for the film industry then :roll: ...
frazzerr 44

Postby jodders » 16 Apr 2013, 16:30

Here's a wild suggestion to George Osborne (a frequent visitor to these pages
as an avid fan of Sim City- that's how he comes up with policy & why
thos country's circling the toilet bowl) give a nice big fat tax break to low-middle
income folk then we can afford to buy games; reduce VAT making things more
affordable still.
That and don't spend 10million burying one elderly lady.
Priorities Mr Osborne, priorities.
jodders 61

Postby CatfishMurphy » 16 Apr 2013, 16:31

frazzerr wrote:
Tax breaks in any country just isn't justified, even in the UK, next every industry will ask for a tax break.

So what about the tax break the UK film industry gets then? You say giving the industry a tax break can't be justified, justify the tax break for the film industry then :roll: ...

Because the British film industry has long struggled to stay competitive since Hollywood product dominates here because we're an english speaking country. The British games industry is more akin to the British music industry as they both stand toe to toe with American product in those industries, and the British music industry does not get any tax breaks as far as I'm aware.

I'd hate to see the elimination of these tax breaks if it were to mean less games and less good games being made here, but it is still a vibrant commercial market in which we're extremely competitive so are they really justified in such times?

Oh and by the way, saying this is bad just because Europe said it, is not helping.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby frazzerr » 16 Apr 2013, 16:39

e British games industry is more akin to the British music industry as they both stand toe to toe with American product in those industries

I think if you have a look the UK games industry is loosing talented individuals to other countries such as Canada etc, so if the industry stands toe to toe with the American's then why are we losing talented programmers, designers etc to other countries?
frazzerr 44

Postby CatfishMurphy » 16 Apr 2013, 17:18

frazzerr wrote:
e British games industry is more akin to the British music industry as they both stand toe to toe with American product in those industries

I think if you have a look the UK games industry is loosing talented individuals to other countries such as Canada etc, so if the industry stands toe to toe with the American's then why are we losing talented programmers, designers etc to other countries?

Because the weather's so s**t here? British games are a hell of lot more competitive in their market place than British films are, that's all I'm saying. I mean GTA V is being made by a British company, are you telling me that's not standing toe to toe with American product?
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby Barca Azul » 16 Apr 2013, 17:18

Don't remember such a big fuss when france were giving them!
Barca Azul 61

Postby freds1 » 16 Apr 2013, 17:24

Next general election: UKIP.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 56

Postby Version10 » 16 Apr 2013, 17:28

If I was to be satirical, I would say that more economical sense is being talked in this comments section than in the Houses of Parliament. 8)
Version10 45

Postby alan666 » 16 Apr 2013, 17:40

The EU seem to have no problems giving out free money in the way of farm subsidies to lay French farmers though.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Next