to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony learnt pricing lessons from PS3 launch, exec suggests

Your comments on our articles.

Worldwide Studios VP wants console to appeal to "gamers in the broadest sense"

Sony has learnt pricing lessons from the PS3 launch, Worldwide Studios vice president Michael Denny has suggested.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby KilltheWabbit » 16 Apr 2013, 12:13

Does that mean they won't go above £400, or does inflation come into effect when comparing to the PS3 release and it ends up being about the same again but effectively cheaper as £425 is worth less now than back in 2006.

I would be amazed if its any lower than £350
KilltheWabbit 47

PSN ID: Jhizzle1984

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 16 Apr 2013, 12:21

Somewhere between £349-399 would be alright, but I'm afraid they're gonna push it a little over that sum.

The key is the bundles and PS+ integration. The Vita suffered initially from a clear lack of PS+ offers (even if that's sorted out now) and above all the lack of attractive bundles, which is a shame since the memory cards were clearly overpriced.
The PS4 is supposed to come with a HD cam, a DualShock 4 and a bluetooth headset bundled with every single console, not the kind of gizmos that drive the price down. I for one wish they can manage to bundle a few interesting first-party games (Knack, Infamous, Drive Club) to offset the cost a little. I'm not holding my breath, but this strategy worked great with Nintendo and would hammer down the "gamers' console" message.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Re: Sony learnt pricing lessons from PS3 launch, exec sugges

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 16 Apr 2013, 12:23

From what he said, I'm predicting a multi-sku campaign like the wii-U.

Say a hardcore 500GB model with PS plus.
A lower 250GB "arcade model".
A low spec "kids" model maybe 60Gb but with kids bundle or PSmove or extra pad or whatever.

Or maybe even a subscription based model ripped from the supposed X720.
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
NEO_SUPERMAN 44

Postby KnightLore » 16 Apr 2013, 12:28

The cheaper the better because I'd much rather spend my cash on the games. I'm hoping for between £250 and £350. Any more than that would scupper any chance of me getting 2 or 3 games at launch.

Personally, I'm hoping Knack is awesome, because us gamers deserve a brilliant launch game that isn't a shooter or racer.

Obviously a great shooter and racer would be cool too though. :)

The same goes for Nextbox too. The idea of Next-gen Forza and Halo is great, but a new and fun IP would really get my pulse going.
Formerly known as Mark240473. Older, wiser, grayer, creakier and skinter.
KnightLore 31

Postby SuperCinos » 16 Apr 2013, 12:35

The lessons they've learnt is to simply get everyone excited about the product before announcing the high price tag.

At least this way you have people who may have dismissed the PS4 straight away, become actually interested and maybe even persuaded once the price is finally announced.

As to price, I still think the lowest SKU will be £425, but if the rumoured price point for the lesser specced durango is anything to go by it may even be higher.
SuperCinos 53

Postby illage2 » 16 Apr 2013, 12:56

£150 - £300 is my price range.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby billysastard » 16 Apr 2013, 12:56

i do wonder what happens with ps+ on the ps4 to start with when there aren't really any games to give away, it isn't as if they could start with ps1 or 2 (or 3) classics unless its streamed versions either and it doesn't look like current ps+ subscribers will be able to move their current ps+ collections over at least in the beginning until they are available on the streaming service.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Agent75 » 16 Apr 2013, 12:58

Stan_Goodspeed wrote:Somewhere between £349-399 would be alright, but I'm afraid they're gonna push it a little over that sum.

The key is the bundles and PS+ integration. The Vita suffered initially from a clear lack of PS+ offers (even if that's sorted out now) and above all the lack of attractive bundles, which is a shame since the memory cards were clearly overpriced.
The PS4 is supposed to come with a HD cam, a DualShock 4 and a bluetooth headset bundled with every single console, not the kind of gizmos that drive the price down. I for one wish they can manage to bundle a few interesting first-party games (Knack, Infamous, Drive Club) to offset the cost a little. I'm not holding my breath, but this strategy worked great with Nintendo and would hammer down the "gamers' console" message.

The PS3 launched for £425 in the UK, so if it launches at say £350 or £400, that's only £75 or £25 cheaper, so you'd be willing to pay that at launch? Current consoles should be knocking about for under £150 by now. Keeping current consoles high in price is just a mask to price next gen consoles high. The Wii U will still struggle if it was £200. Tops for me is £300, otherwise I'm one of the mass that waits for the price drop. And Sony products are never cheap, that's the reality of it.
Agent75 48

Postby Penguin101 » 16 Apr 2013, 13:00

If it's as cheap as the Wii U that'd really be interesting. I still think that they'll have a cheap base model at around £399 and an expensive Premium model with 1 year PS Plus subscription at £499
Penguin101 32

Postby fustacluck » 16 Apr 2013, 13:09

Stan_Goodspeed wrote:Somewhere between £349-399 would be alright, but I'm afraid they're gonna push it a little over that sum.

If I remember rightly the headset plugs into the controller, between the sticks facing you, so wouldn't be bluetooth.
fustacluck 36

Xbox Live: fustak luck
PSN ID: fustacluck

Postby H0P5 » 16 Apr 2013, 13:10

I think it would need to be £150 cheaper than PS3 launch this to even be a story. I think as soon as you hit £300+ it becomes an actual chunk of money, anything under that I think would be super enticing, and more worthy of such a comment.
-------------
PSN: H0P5
-------------
Capital "H"
Number "0"
Capital "P"
Number "5"
H0P5 47

PSN ID: H0P5

Postby fustacluck » 16 Apr 2013, 13:16

The SKU I would love, and would keep the price down, would be without HDD but you can take any laptop drive, like the PS3, and whack that in there.
fustacluck 36

Xbox Live: fustak luck
PSN ID: fustacluck

Postby buffig » 16 Apr 2013, 13:19

£299 is a headline grabbing price and would be first day purchase. Higher than that and I may be forced to wait a year.
buffig 61

Postby flash501 » 16 Apr 2013, 13:22

I hate corporate speak. They talk and talk and talk without actually saying anything.
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby wishface » 16 Apr 2013, 13:24

£200 at most.

Anything more than that and you are selling stuff that noone wants or needs.

We're in a recession. Stop ripping people off. The pricing of the ps3 was beyond absurd.
wishface 41

Next