New Gears and God of War games 'have underperformed' - analy

Your comments on our articles.

But Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite thought to have sold well in the US last month

Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz has forecast disappointing first month North American sales for Gears of War: Judgment and God of War: Ascension, ahead of the NPD Group's release of official market data this Thursday.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

New Gears and God of War games 'have underperformed' - analy

Postby Agent75 » 16 Apr 2013, 10:39

Told you all. The gaming crash started a while back.
Agent75 49

Re: New Gears and God of War games 'have underperformed' - a

Postby Barry316 » 16 Apr 2013, 10:46

Agent75 wrote:Told you all. The gaming crash started a while back.

So you're ignoring the bit that says Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite are thought to have done well?

Don't give up the day job. I'll have a Big Mac meal.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 16 Apr 2013, 10:46

I'll happily shell out for games at full whack if they are my thing and review well. I got TR, Bioshock and Gears and although Gears was a little lacking in some departments both are great. However all the early DLC, multiple special editions (I'm looking at you Ubisoft) the high street vs online store price wars, 2nd hand quick switching (battleing to get through a game quickly to trade it for something else before it loses value) the mass choice of games new or 2nd hand generally, the economic climate and the onset of the next gen all make the market a little meh at the moment.

@ Barry- bit harsh :mrgreen:

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby wishface » 16 Apr 2013, 10:51

They completely f**ked up JUdgement. Why is it surprising it's underperformed? They gutted everything that makes the game what it is and stinted massively on the content. They deserve to fail because of this. It's obvious fans are being primed for DLC, most of which is probably on the disc.
wishface 41

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 16 Apr 2013, 10:58

[quote="wishface"]They completely f**ked up JUdgement. Why is it surprising it's underperformed? They gutted everything that makes the game what it is and stinted massively on the content. They deserve to fail because of this. It's obvious fans are being primed for DLC, most of which is probably on the disc.[/quote]

I don't agree they f**ked it but it was not Gears as we know it (that's why I've gone back to 3) The fact that Aftermath felt better, Baird et al were more amusing and it felt grittier, than the main campaign was a problem (I'm guessing this was done way back by Epic themselves and not by PCF) Also the MP was not as good because they took out the best modes imo and comitted the crazy mistake of taking out the locust as playable characters in the main modes, I wanna shoot a Kantus not a red tinted Cole!.

Till the next gen....

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Postby StonecoldMC » 16 Apr 2013, 11:01

I'm really enjoying Judgement at the moment and think the Declassified missions inject something new into the way you play the game.

One thing though, this is the first Gears game where I haven't seen any TV spots for it and for MS, that's a bit of a surprise.

Anyone would think there saving there money for something else :wink: .

Bioshock is everywhere on TV, same for Tomb Raider. I don't think I saw a God of War ad slot either?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby ________________ » 16 Apr 2013, 11:07

Barry316 wrote:
Agent75 wrote:Told you all. The gaming crash started a while back.

So you're ignoring the bit that says Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite are thought to have done well?

Don't give up the day job. I'll have a Big Mac meal.

The publishers of Tomb Raider themselves have said it hasn't done well.
________________ 45

Postby ingy » 16 Apr 2013, 11:07

I loved Tomb Raider, it felt fresh and was a joy to play, Bioshock on the other hand felt tired and horribly generic and tired.

Just goes to show there's plenty of good stuff out there, we just have to be a little more choosy in what we buy, and not follow reviews blindly, ignore the written scores and just go for the games you like the sound of, if i'd followed this rule i wouldn't have bought Bioshock.

Anyhow, back on topic,... with all the uncertainty regarding the imminent next gen' and the crazy rumours flying about i'm not surprised sales are maybe a bit slow, let's see how things are after Microsoft's reveal,....when is that again? :?
ingy 64

Postby TheLastDodo » 16 Apr 2013, 11:09

We're all doomed! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!

I had a real reply but this f**king website has signed me out twice as I've tried to post it so screw it.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 16 Apr 2013, 11:13

StonecoldMC wrote:I'm really enjoying Judgement at the moment and think the Declassified missions inject something new into the way you play the game.

One thing though, this is the first Gears game where I haven't seen any TV spots for it and for MS, that's a bit of a surprise.

Anyone would think there saving there money for something else :wink: .

Bioshock is everywhere on TV, same for Tomb Raider. I don't think I saw a God of War ad slot either?

I co-opped Gears on Hardcore and tbh I found the declassified missions a bit tacked on after a while but each to their own. For me the campaign was good as it had a lot more varied environments, some nice new weapons and a varied story however by the end I was missing Marcus (but not Dom) the Russian dude and the woman are a bit annoying and Baird and Cole just are not funny until you get to Aftermath when normal service is resumed. I won't mention the ending so as not to spoil anything but it's more Scorge than Raam that is for sure.

ps for anyone doing it in co-op, if you want all the achievements, if anyone drops out due to bad connection etc... make sure you all replay the mission otherwise you will not get all the achievements for finishing the game.
Last edited by KK-Headcharge78 on 16 Apr 2013, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

KK-Headcharge78 64

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 16 Apr 2013, 11:15

TheLastDodo wrote:We're all doomed! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!

I had a real reply but this f**king website has signed me out twice as I've tried to post it so screw it.

Ahh the old Bellend-blocking feature...... :mrgreen: :wink:

KK-Headcharge78 64

Postby Reegeee » 16 Apr 2013, 11:18

New Gears and God of War games 'have underperformed - analy'

Possibly the greatest thread title of all time in the article comments forum.

Good to see Tomb Raider and Bioshock doing well. 2 single player games.
Reegeee 75

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby El Mag » 16 Apr 2013, 11:24

The problem with both might be that a lot of people have viewed them as stopgaps and rented or decided to wait until an inevitable price drop. Or they've bought games that will offer something a bit different to ones in a series that have seen a few already this gen. I got both but have traded them in, I thought Judgement apart from Aftermath was poor and Ascension was alright but I wouldn't play it again.

And I don't much like McDonald's so I'll have a Burger King instead.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Barry316 » 16 Apr 2013, 11:27

________________ wrote:The publishers of Tomb Raider themselves have said it hasn't done well

By their own stupidly high predictions. They expected everybody with a console to buy it. Twice.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 16 Apr 2013, 11:28

Strange how both the under performers are exclusives. Maybe it's because they're the 4th or 5th games in there series or maybe it's because the third party devs are just making better games at the minute. :wink:
Two Pennys Worth 57

Next