BioShock Infinite is 'horrendous', claims indie dev - but wh

Your comments on our articles.

OPINION: When did indie gaming become the Vox Populi? There'll be no celebration if interesting AAA games die, argues Dan Dawkins

"BioShock Infinite is so flawed, so horrendous, so, damaging, yet sits at 94% on Metacritic," wrote indie dev, Kris Piotrowski on twitter this week. "Bioshock Infinite isn't the answer to our problems. It is the best example of them."... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby spr1ngbock » 11 Apr 2013, 13:02

I must say, I think the media have definitely over praised this game. I'm nearly finished it (I think) and I must say, the overwhelming feeling is disappointment. The most enjoyable part of the game for me was the first hour of meandering around Columbia.... and then the fighting started.

The controls and gunplay in the game are weak. There's a real disconnect between what I am doing and what's happening on-screen. Not to be flamed but at least COD fighting mechanics are tight. I wanted something a bit closer to that feel. I guess it was the same feel as Bioshock, but that game had more forgiving and smaller environments.

There have been only a few fights where everything has clicked and I was thinking, "I actually enjoyed that one".

The story is pretty interesting and I do want to see what happens, but unless they pull something major out of the bag, I don't think it'll have any wow factor (like the original Bioshock did for example).

I do agree that all the faux American history references seem to be just thrown in so the story comes across as intelligent. I don't mind the casual racism or "shocking" elements of the story. Not sure they play a major part, but I'm not offended by them. It is strange when Elizabeth is horrified by something happening (IE Dewitt decapitating someone) and 2 seconds later joking about how great she is a picking locks...

I think in no way is this game groundbreaking, Enjoyable enough, but definitely overhyped. Its a bad sign that I'm looking forward to finishing it so I can trade it in.
spr1ngbock 34

Postby wezbit » 11 Apr 2013, 13:05

Wow, great review! :roll:
wezbit 44

Postby ricflair » 11 Apr 2013, 13:09

Not played Bioshock Infinite yet, but it seems to be about where you think a game becomes a 'classic' - through setting/environment/story/graphics, or through gameplay.

From what I've read, it's not a gameplay classic.

And yes, the gaming media are often spineless buffoons when it comes to a 'clever' AAA game and gush all over it.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Re: BioShock Infinite is 'horrendous', claims indie dev - bu

Postby spr1ngbock » 11 Apr 2013, 13:12

wezbit wrote:Wow, great review! :roll:

Wow, useful comment. :roll:
spr1ngbock 34

Postby beemoh » 11 Apr 2013, 13:17

Hollis' comment about 'wanting to be taken seriously so hard it hurts' holds some merit, but it should be angled at the press, more than the game. (And that being said, it's hard not to make the same accusation of Hollis himself in those tweets)

Infinite is another case of a game getting a free pass because in the preview content, the developers alleged the game had a story- not a 'good' story, just a story. Which gets a lot of games journalists a little too excited because it means games are a bit like films now and they can look their parents in the eye and tell them they've got a Proper Job.

The games press seems to have this bonk-on at the moment for pretending to be critical, going on about how every game is an FPS with space marines in it (despite such games being a small minority of those released), and that lets a lot of people sneak through without criticism.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Postby apalmer28 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:21

I find this pseudo intellectualism annoying about whether the level of violence and FPS shooting runs against the story content.

ITS A GAME!!!

Lets remember that fact.

I thought it's pretty good actually, and I like the mechanics employed by having Elizabeth, vigors, skytracks and other things that have been included that place it differently to other standard shooters.

However, it is a GAME!! It's not a retelling of the fight against racism, it's using that concept to base it's story and environment around. I thought in the 1910's racism was pretty rampant in USA anyway so perhaps its being more accurate in its skewed view of the world and trying to give an idea of opinion at that time.
apalmer28 57

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby Uzi77 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:22

Played and finished it recently, I only read the title and opening lines here, and I completely disagree. It needed to be a genre, else it would just be a film, it was a shooter as that genre generally sells the best, if that's the only way to get a damn good story into the current mass market youths, then so be it. The story was amazing, and although it wasn't as simple or elegant as Bioshock 1, there are so many elements to it, and underlying things, it was a masterpiece, on par with highly rated films.

It was never going to deliver what BS1 did, because that accomplishment can only be done once, then it is expected from everything that follows.

It seems to be "cool" to actually dislike this game now, how fickle... At least for once the press and reviewers got it right.
Uzi77 54

Postby beastie » 11 Apr 2013, 13:25

spr1ngbock wrote:
wezbit wrote:Wow, great review! :roll:

Wow, useful comment. :roll:

Wow, I see what you did there :roll:
beastie 54

Postby beemoh » 11 Apr 2013, 13:27

beastie wrote:
spr1ngbock wrote:Wow, useful comment. :roll:

Wow, I see what you did there :roll:

Wow, I'm just joining in to feel included. :roll:
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Postby Reegeee » 11 Apr 2013, 13:34

The problem is the internet has given a voice to all the bell ends you previously would've either laughed at or ignored. 'The Meek will inherit the earth'.

The gameplay in Infinite is far better than it was in the first Bioshock. Gone is the clumsy swapping between plasmids and guns, and there is a much greater variety of enemies, AI and better level design with more of an open feeling to the levels/combat. I can understand people saying they preferred the setting and story in the first game, that's just personal preference and fair enough IMO. From a gameplay perspective though it has everything Bioshock 1 had and improves on all of it. I actually looked forward to the combat sections in Infinite which is more than I can say for the first game.

Oh, and this stupid thing people say, 'There's too much shooting'. For the love of God, it's an fps, it's always been an fps and it's never going to be anything other than an fps! :lol: People talk about the first game like it was some sort of epic rpg. It wasn't, it was a good fps with a really good story. Just like Infinite is.

ricflair wrote:Not played Bioshock Infinite yet, but it seems to be about where you think a game becomes a 'classic' - through setting/environment/story/graphics, or through gameplay.

From what I've read, it's not a gameplay classic.

And yes, the gaming media are often spineless buffoons when it comes to a 'clever' AAA game and gush all over it.

I would say the only thing that is 100% better than the first game is the gameplay. Everything else is up for debate. Story, atmosphere, setting. That's up to the player. The actual gameplay though is far better. Better shooting, weapons, powers, enemies, levels, variety. Everything is the same but just better.
Last edited by Reegeee on 11 Apr 2013, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:34

Wow, I think I can see why he is an indie dev, reminds me of Martin Prince off the Simpsons.

I'm sure someone cares....... somewhere....

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby fustacluck » 11 Apr 2013, 13:39

There's a simple response for Hollis: Don't think it's good or of any merit? Show us how it should be done, then.

Until then, this smacks of a once bright light in the industry not happy that he's fading, so feels he should attack what is, for a lot of people, the best game this year so far, and one of the best of the generation, in order to remain relevant.
fustacluck 36

Xbox Live: fustak luck
PSN ID: fustacluck

Postby runadumb » 11 Apr 2013, 13:45

There's been many games I've enjoyed over the years that have actually had, IMO, pretty "crap" gameplay.
Infinite doesn't quite fall into that category for me as the gameplay was reasonably solid, not great, but solid enough.

Games like Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2/3 and one of the biggest offenders, Bioshock, have me tolerating the action/shooting parts because I enjoyed the world, the characters and the parts in between shooting everything. Bioshock 1&2 really are mechanically f**king awful, handles like total s**t and was by far the worst part of the "games".

I play plenty of Indie games and if you ask me the single most over hyped game last year was hotline miami. It was cack and suffered more pseudo intellectual wank praise from the media than most. I feel thats BECAUSE it was indie and not from a large studio. The music was ace though 8)

Infinite was great for its overall world. The ending didn't actually do much for me but the parts leading up to it were engrossing enough and the gameplay good enough to keep me hooked (mostly) the whole way through.

As a side note right after I finished infinite I started Darksiders 2. Now that is a game with extremely solid gunplay (some parts are admittedly terrible, certain enemy types ruin the fun). It was fun as all hell, but hey, don't tell anyone. After all it' hasn't got a very clever story and doesn't make you massurbate to its intectuallism. :roll:
Last edited by runadumb on 11 Apr 2013, 15:03, edited 2 times in total.
runadumb 62

Postby Uzi77 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:49

Reegeee wrote:I would say the only thing that is 100% better than the first game is the gameplay. Everything else is up for debate. Story, atmosphere, setting. That's up to the player. The actual gameplay though is far better. Better shooting, weapons, powers, enemies, levels, variety. Everything is the same but just better.
You sir, hit the nail on the head. I personally found the story on par with the first game, the atmosphere and setting though, I preferred Bioshock 1, but then if these 2 games were released in reverse, I may be saying I enjoy the setting in Infinite better. The first was like nothing I had ever played, I just did not expect a story and game of that excellence, whereas I did with Infinite.

Edit: For people who didn't like, or fully get the ending, or even think they did but weren't happy with it, this article may open your eyes to the full picture:
SPOILERS
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/39 ... ed/?page=1
Uzi77 54

Postby Coulson1990 » 11 Apr 2013, 13:55

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. If you like it you like it. If you hate it, you hate it. You can't please everybody.
Coulson1990 44

Next