to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Company of Heroes 2 preview: Beta disappoints but hopes rema

Your comments on our articles.

Skirmish mode leaves us a little cold

Company of Heroes 2, the long-awaited sequel to what developer Relic Entertainment is keen to tout as 'The Highest Rated Strategy Game Ever', hit journalists and pre-order customers with a beta last Tuesday, and after hours of flanking Nazis, fleeing panzers and bracing for mortar strikes, here's how we think it's shaping up ahead of a June release on PC.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Company of Heroes 2 preview: Beta disappoints but hopes rema

Postby Uzi77 » 10 Apr 2013, 22:10

Later, in a fierce two-on-two winter battle against human opponents (the maximum amount of players you can have in a match is six), we uncovered more problems. You can't scroll out far enough, so your zoomed in view increases the chance of losing track of troops; you can't rotate the map - still
I'm not sure what version of the beta you played, but in the previous games, 4v4 was the biggest, and in the beta I played, 4v4 was also the biggest. Also, you can rotate the map, by holding 'Alt' and moving the mouse (the map and screen rotate and can be pitched differently as well), this was also in the original CoH, and is in the current Beta version.

I agree with the zoom, but that can be changed with simple modding, though a larger zoom by default would be such a help.
Uzi77 54

Re: Company of Heroes 2 preview: Beta disappoints but hopes

Postby Jingee » 10 Apr 2013, 22:55

I too started a skirmish, and got battered as my fingers fought to regain the long-lost muscle memory of spamming units until everything died and everything else was under my control.
I didn't think the graphics were particularly impressive, tbh; even maxed.
Jingee 48

Steam: -Jingee

Postby LedBetter » 11 Apr 2013, 19:46

Before I start what I want to say I just want to comment on this first of all

"You can't rotate the map - still"

What the hell? Yes you can. Hold alt and you can turn it and pan it any which way. You can even go down to a first person view pretty much right into your troops faces. What do you mean by still? Have you even played the original damn game? It worked the same way ffs do you people actually play these games or do you try to BS your way out of it.

So let me see if I got this right...

Blizzard remakes a game from 1998 and releases the same exact formula in what was it 2010? 12 years after its original release with nothing really changing in the gameplay side and its hailed as incredible and amazing and how smart Blizzard is to not ruin what made the original good. Then 3 years later they add a $40 expansion pack to it that is again the same game and gets the same praise.

But if Relic takes a game from 2006 that was hailed for its amazing gameplay that still holds up today and improves upon it it's a disappointment? Can game journalists stop with this double standard please? Of saying oh it's okay if company x just improves upon an old game but if company y does it then that's dissapointing.

CoH is far, far more advanced to Starcraft in everyway. Whether it's graphics, tactics, gameplay, etc. it feels more like a modern game than SC2 does which re-uses a formula from the 90's.

When Relic completely redid Dawn of War II people were p**sed as hell that it wasn't like the original. Some companies can never win unless they have a Blizzard or other name like that attached.
LedBetter 13

Postby Stewox » 14 Apr 2013, 17:03

Hello CVG

(caps aren't screaming, just to point out simple stuff to this guy)

Open Letter to the one an only Ben Peter "Product of 2013" Griffin, you are welcome in the squadron of always-online douchebags of 2013.

I have randomly awoken early morning and checked a few links on my cellphone, the last i checked was CVG. I found this interesting article, after i've read it, i have to say openly and honestly to f**k OFF. I've now forced my self out of the bed, turned the computer on to write this immediately as we speak.

First of all, the beta is under NDA for a reason, and this is the exact reason why NDA's exist, an person of "teh 2013" spreading bullshit on a community he has no idea about; so this feels more like twisting to get in, and why would they let you in I have no idea either. Let me explain, the whole issue with your article is that you are a standard type of person who expects MAJOR changes in each following sequel, this is a illfested toxic trend that major capitalist publishers have created, because the wonderful low-standard communities would always rate games based on how much a game changes, their teeny years of having all the time in the world, they need to get the daily fix of something, even if it's s**t, let me tell you, I am the core customer of Company of Heroes and have known and been in modding community for years, I know the community, THEY DON'T WANT MAJOR CHANGES because some things are GOOD ENOUGH or are a part of FUNDAMENTAL MEHANICS of COH by which the name has a genuine spirit and soul, if you have major changes, it is not COH anymore, if you take the fundamentals away, it's a worthless wordmark plasted on some bogus piece of code, feels unnatural and eerie, a SACRILEGE of C&C4 proportions. There is the fundamental rule if you even begin of talking about core communites requirements, for example things that are GOOD ENOUGH don't need FIXING FOR NO REASON. Improving yes, but not trying to find excuses to make a new seqel based on those unprofessional nitpicking to try to get some visible changes done. Do you Person of 2013 UNDERSTAND that, that what you are saying is not true at all , and there is a culture of people in the COH community who don't like Other RTS because it's the EXISTING MEHANICS that make it different and preffered for such people.

You Sir, are not genuine fan or any community "follower" of COH, you fall into the self-proclaimed fanboy squadron, good luck, you are a traitor! But it's obvious you had no idea what community likes and what not. And if this was any other RTS game my response would be the same. I admit I am enoying SC2 As well, and it's a healthy crossover, however I do defend COH as much as if I wasn't crossovering to SC2, but I keep things separate I will stand for each other camp when it's appropriate and in line with CORE community spirit.

Forthly, the whole idea of making such an article in a way, and then makin an excuse "oh it's beta you thinK" ... it's like the same thing with VERGE where they gave a score to OUYA in it's early beta form.

We DON'T want, need, require or like anything from the mainstream "2013" because that's just a word for something F2P or some bullshit from mobile industry, no thank you. You are biased agains 90', a spoiled brat who does not RESPECT the elderly. Shame on you, junior.

This is a classic article of making up something to write about over the already BS joke story, it's the headline, cognitive dissonance, oh it disappoints, but hope still remains, oh it's not a product of 2013, but oh it's just a beta.

Confuses people, makes up the drama, makes people talking, makes click, clickers click ads. Why don't you change the business model then, man, it's 2013, I am disappoint, you're a product of 90', taking revenue from advertisments, that's really doesn't bring anything new to the table right, same old rehashing of old formula.

My point was for the good, admittingly it could be better written, and im not english also, it's really early morning here, but I can safely confirm to you that Adam Orth could probably write anything at this point in time, he's always on.

Finalizing, the whole thing is too of a big of a topic for me to finish every argument I may recall, a note to any reader, I cannot possible go over everything at this time(since i plan to go back to sleep), in the meantime i'll just make an alert to the other comrades!

Ouya Critique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnYNerkTIk
SC2 "not changing too much is a good thing": [can't find article link in time, it's been 3 years] (it was one of the major news sites)

LedBetter wrote:Before I start what I want to say I just want to comment on this first of all

"You can't rotate the map - still"

What the hell? Yes you can. Hold alt and you can turn it and pan it any which way. You can even go down to a first person view pretty much right into your troops faces. What do you mean by still? Have you even played the original damn game? It worked the same way ffs do you people actually play these games or do you try to BS your way out of it.

So let me see if I got this right...

Blizzard remakes a game from 1998 and releases the same exact formula in what was it 2010? 12 years after its original release with nothing really changing in the gameplay side and its hailed as incredible and amazing and how smart Blizzard is to not ruin what made the original good. Then 3 years later they add a $40 expansion pack to it that is again the same game and gets the same praise.

But if Relic takes a game from 2006 that was hailed for its amazing gameplay that still holds up today and improves upon it it's a disappointment? Can game journalists stop with this double standard please? Of saying oh it's okay if company x just improves upon an old game but if company y does it then that's dissapointing.

CoH is far, far more advanced to Starcraft in everyway. Whether it's graphics, tactics, gameplay, etc. it feels more like a modern game than SC2 does which re-uses a formula from the 90's.

When Relic completely redid Dawn of War II people were p**sed as hell that it wasn't like the original. Some companies can never win unless they have a Blizzard or other name like that attached.

Truly duty has sent you here COMRADE!
Stewox 23

Postby NorthWestFresh » 14 Apr 2013, 23:46

I agree with you guys this review of the "Multiplayer Beta 'is complete incompetent BS and is a very shoddy and irresponsible piece of "journalism" if you want to call it that. I prefer to call it a load of crap written by someone who is obviously completely ignorant of the material he is reviewing and probably ignorant in many more areas then just the review of this game in a multiplayer beta state; because obviously he couldnt get this simple task even remotely close to correct. 6 players is the max...... can't rotate the map..... you only run around capturing points... This guy really p**ses me off, he obviously has no understanding of what makes Company of Heroes great or the finer points of good gameplay mechanics. And he pretty much stated himself that he is a single player campaign guy, so wtf is he doing giving a great game bad press based on the multiplayer. He obviously doesn't even have an understanding of the competitive multiplayer aspects of the game and why it appeals to those who enjoy it. A long story short Company of Heroes 2 is going to be a great game... and yes I am in the beta and have been playing it as much as possible, It will be great in both single player campaign and online in multiplayer with friends whether just for friendly play or for hardcore competition. One more time and then im done.... This guy is an idiot and clearly has no F&^%$N clue what hes talking about at least as pertains too Company of Heroes 2.
NorthWestFresh 3
New user