to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Batman Arkham Origins: 'I'm as worried as I am excited'

Your comments on our articles.

OPINION: CVG's Tamoor Hussain reveals his wishlist for the Rocksteady-less sequel

I feel a little conflicted about the just-announced Batman: Arkham Origins. On the one hand, it's a new Batman game, which - as a huge fan of the Dark Knight - I'm ecstatic about. But on the other, Rocksteady has nothing to do with it.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Batman Arkham Origins: 'I'm as worried as I am excited'

Postby JD_Method » 09 Apr 2013, 18:42

Although the Boy Wonder doesn't make an appearance in Rocksteady's Arkham games

Yes he does! He makes a brief appearance on the rooftops when you're chasing that ninja girl in Arkham City. There's also the Harley Quinn DLC.

I would love some Batman/Robin free-roam in Gotham co-op though.

As for what I've seen of Batman's suit for this game, I'm not really liking the look of it. It looks a little too armoured and "tech-like" for my tastes.
For when you're sick of watching quality videos, check out my selection of half-arsed, on-the-s**t-side videos on YouTube: GameCheeseHD
JD_Method 58

Re: Batman Arkham Origins: 'I'm as worried as I am excited'

Postby TheLastDodo » 09 Apr 2013, 19:04

No multiplayer please.

Personally I'd like Superman to be kept as far away from a Batman game as possible.

If you have to have heroes to fight alongside then I'd like to see Nightwing (I'm only familiar with Batman through the live action movies, Burton to Nolan and the Rocksteady games and so have seen very little of this popular character) and simply because the character has been brought to the attention of DC noobs like myself thanks to the new TV show then why not include Green Arrow?
TheLastDodo 76

Postby JOFF » 09 Apr 2013, 19:05

Arkham Origins, a prequel to the last two games, is being developed by the unproven Warner Montreal. The studio's last project was Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition for the Wii U, a frankly shoddy port of Rocksteady's Xbox 360, PS3 and PC title

Shoddy port??? I played armored edition, and apart from the occasional graphical glitch (due to hardware limitations at a guess), it was a extremely competent, and well done port with a few nice extras.
JOFF 33

Postby DiamondDogs » 09 Apr 2013, 19:17

JOFF wrote:
Arkham Origins, a prequel to the last two games, is being developed by the unproven Warner Montreal. The studio's last project was Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition for the Wii U, a frankly shoddy port of Rocksteady's Xbox 360, PS3 and PC title

Shoddy port??? I played armored edition, and apart from the occasional graphical glitch (due to hardware limitations at a guess), it was a extremely competent, and well done port with a few nice extras.

It had nothing to do with hardware. Regardless what people may think of the Wii U or their stance on the power of a console is irrelevant in this case. How can a machine more powerful than the PS3 & Xbox360, be limited in hardware when they pulled the game off better? (Frame rate, I mean) I have the armoured edition on Wii U & it's great. My problem is the frame rate when I'm fighting, except that, it's the same game. Other than the suit & gamepad options of course. I think shoddy is a poor choice of word in this case.
Last edited by DiamondDogs on 09 Apr 2013, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.
DiamondDogs 59

Postby Big_Bad_Bassist » 09 Apr 2013, 19:18

Surely Rocksteady were fairly unproven before Asylum too? That turned out pretty well so give them a chance!

Please correct me if i'm wrong about their history mind, I lose track of name changes and buyouts, etc of studios
I'm a PC gamer and don't really care about the console war as i am far above you, so far infact that you'll probably take this signature seriously.
Big_Bad_Bassist 64

Postby Lt Fatman » 09 Apr 2013, 19:19

As long as they leave Superman out of it, he's way too overpowered, it's just annoying having him around, and his dozens of super powers / abiltiies. "Oh hey, did you mess up Batman? Don't worry, I'll just fly around the globe real fast and turn back time! Someone learnt your secret identity? I'll erase their memory of that particular event! Anything else I can do for you Bats?" With an ally like that, why not just leave everything up to him?
Lt Fatman 25

Postby Tamoor » 09 Apr 2013, 19:44

JD_Method wrote:
Although the Boy Wonder doesn't make an appearance in Rocksteady's Arkham games

Yes he does! He makes a brief appearance on the rooftops when you're chasing that ninja girl in Arkham City. There's also the Harley Quinn DLC.

I would love some Batman/Robin free-roam in Gotham co-op though.

As for what I've seen of Batman's suit for this game, I'm not really liking the look of it. It looks a little too armoured and "tech-like" for my tastes.

Bah that doesn't count. I'm talking in costume, front and center.
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby TheLastDodo » 09 Apr 2013, 19:55

You can play as Robin in challenge rooms too Tamoor.
TheLastDodo 76

Postby Tamoor » 09 Apr 2013, 19:56

TheLastDodo wrote:You can play as Robin in challenge rooms too Tamoor.

Oh yeah, I completely ignored that DLC.
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby JD_Method » 09 Apr 2013, 20:20

Although the Boy Wonder doesn't make an appearance in Rocksteady's Arkham games... except for that one cutscene in the main story of Arkham City... and as a playable character in that challenge mode DLC... and as the main playable character in the story-based Harley Quinn's Revenge DLC.

:P
For when you're sick of watching quality videos, check out my selection of half-arsed, on-the-s**t-side videos on YouTube: GameCheeseHD
JD_Method 58

Postby photoboy » 09 Apr 2013, 20:27

JOFF wrote:

Well said. I can't see any justification for calling the port shoddy. While it does have the occasional frame rate issue there is also the rather impressive ability to throw a remote Batarang and see an entirely separate view of Arkham City rendered on the Gamepad from where Batman is facing on the TV. There were quite a few nice Gamepad features too. Definitely not shoddy.
photoboy 47

Postby JOFF » 09 Apr 2013, 22:53

It had nothing to do with hardware. Regardless what people may think of the Wii U or their stance on the power of a console is irrelevant in this case. How can a machine more powerful than the PS3 & Xbox360, be limited in hardware when they pulled the game off better? (Frame rate, I mean) I have the armoured edition on Wii U & it's great. My problem is the frame rate when I'm fighting, except that, it's the same game. Other than the suit & gamepad options of course. I think shoddy is a poor choice of word in this case.[/quote]

I'm not dissing the power of the console, it seems powerful enough, just i now own 8 games for it, but the one thing that seems to be a consistent problem is shadows, they always seem very glitchy, thats why i assume it was more to do with the hardware. Didn't have any framerate issues with the game though, and as i said earlier it's in no way a shoddy port.
JOFF 33

Postby Antideluvian » 09 Apr 2013, 22:58

Hopefully it'll feel like a sequel instead of a good expansion pack. Arkham City is good it just didn't bring anything new to the table.
I write for GatherYourParty.com

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gypryan
Antideluvian 25

Postby The_Mighty_Steve » 09 Apr 2013, 23:27

I'm fine with other superheroes showing up in the game but I'd only like it if it was in a cut scene, like perhaps a cut scene of Superman and Batman meeting for the first time. It probably wouldn't add anything but it would be pretty cool.

I'd also like to see the accident at Haley's Circus and then Bruce adopting Dick and his training to become Robin, again could probably be just a few cut scenes throughout the game.

Oh, and more Alfred instead of just his voice.
The_Mighty_Steve 48

Postby DiamondDogs » 10 Apr 2013, 00:24

I'm not dissing the power of the console, it seems powerful enough, just i now own 8 games for it, but the one thing that seems to be a consistent problem is shadows, they always seem very glitchy, thats why i assume it was more to do with the hardware. Didn't have any framerate issues with the game though, and as i said earlier it's in no way a shoddy port.

I never said you were "dissing" the power of the console. I said it couldn't be the power, if it ran smoother on the PS3/360. And again, I agreed it's not a "shoddy" port either. It's funny though, everyone I've spoken to on Miiverse has had different experiences in regard to the performance of the game. Shadows are fine on the Wii U, for me. As the frame rate would dip when I'm in a fight, sometimes.
DiamondDogs 59

Next