to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Square Enix elaborates on weak Tomb Raider, Hitman and Sleep

Your comments on our articles.

Tomb Raider was roughly 600,000 units short of its minimum forecast

Square Enix has elaborated on the extent to which Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs fell short of expectations.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Penguin101 » 09 Apr 2013, 11:34

How are these weak sales?!?
Penguin101 32

Postby beastie » 09 Apr 2013, 11:41

Well there is a recession.

and personally if I see a game, and the PC and Xbox versions are vastly different, then I'm not really going to get excited about only being able to play the inferior looking version.

I know the PC will always look better, but with 7 year old consoles it is just stupid how different games can look
beastie 52

Re: Square Enix elaborates on weak Tomb Raider, Hitman and S

Postby Bright-Light » 09 Apr 2013, 11:43

Just keep the faith Square Enix.
I loved Hitman and sleeping Dogs, and im picking up Tomb Raider this weekend.
So your hard work will pay off.
Bright-Light 47

Postby Tailisjoy » 09 Apr 2013, 11:45

Didn't RE6 sell six million copies?
Tailisjoy 73

Xbox Live: 3DS-1993-9136-3386
PSN ID: Saul_Iscariot
Wii Code: WiiU-Saul_Iscariot

Postby apalmer28 » 09 Apr 2013, 11:49

Metacritic scores....pahhh!

If you base your sales forecast on that load of old b*****ks then you'll never make any money. Might as well buy a lottery ticket.

How about realistic research into a customer base, Tomb Raider is a high scoring game but what Metacritic report is not real life.
apalmer28 55

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby Toasted_PSP » 09 Apr 2013, 11:58

beastie wrote:Well there is a recession.

and personally if I see a game, and the PC and Xbox versions are vastly different, then I'm not really going to get excited about only being able to play the inferior looking version.

I know the PC will always look better, but with 7 year old consoles it is just stupid how different games can look

People these days get way to hung up on what the version other people are playing is like. As long as you get enjoyment out of a game and find it fun who cares if you have an inferior version.

The fact the PC version looks prettier than the console version doesn't take anything away from the enjoyment you will receive from the console version.

You come over as someone who has felt superior by owning the better version of a game on Xbox and now feel hurt and hard done by because the PC is the system with the superior version of games been released. This is what the constant comparison videos do to people, they make you feel your missing out if you don't have the best version when in reality all versions are great, some just look a little better than other but that doesn't take any of the fun away from the game.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby BenThomasFoster » 09 Apr 2013, 12:04

bloody publishers 3 millions sales should adequate, and 1.5mil sales for new franchises should be adequate.
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby lonewolf2002 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:08

Penguin101 wrote:How are these weak sales?!?

Maybe the over estimated sales as these were Western orientated games to make it look like these games do not perform to expectations, if CDProjectRed can do a sequel to the Witcher 2 with 1 million odd sales what excuses have this lot got?
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Agent75 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:09

I suppose the dogs are barking at Tomb Raider and Hitman, I've never rated those 2 franchises. Sleeping Dogs was average.

From reading so of the comments, it's comical when gamers go too far when comparing a game on each format. I couldn't care less about the PC, they're no way worth the money. The Xbox 360 and PS3 hold up very well to the PC. In fact, the quality of your TV can make a big difference graphically. Between the 2 consoles, I much prefer the Xbox 360 controller and the Xbox 360 in general. But games wise, one format might have exclusive content on the disc, so that plays a major part, I couldn't care less about DLC.

Next gen will probably see more franchises fall at the knees, so the likes of EA, Activision, SEGA and Square need to up their game.
Agent75 48

Postby Agent75 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:12

Penguin101 wrote:How are these weak sales?!?

If you had 10 apples and you only sold 5, I'd class that as weak sales. In other words, Square might have wanted to sell 1 million games, but only sold 600,000 (60%), so it was a case of weak sales.
Agent75 48

Postby drpunk » 09 Apr 2013, 12:20

That's a lot of numbers and figures from someone who can't tell us the numbers and figures :?:
drpunk 61

Postby toaplan » 09 Apr 2013, 12:21

Maybe people are holding off (non-essential) game purchases a bit until next-gen consoles arrive? Also, the Tomb Raider IP has likely been tarnished over the years by the many mediocre sequels (and the movies), while Hitman may suffer from competition by the 14-million-selling Assasin's Creed?

Next-gen Final Fantasy could be a make-or-break game for Square Enix, and I'd put everything into ensuring it's going to be great. I'd also announce Actraiser 3 for the PS3/4 and hire Koshiro to do the soundtrack...
Last edited by toaplan on 09 Apr 2013, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
toaplan 73

Postby brookie_2001 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:21

I think they over estimated their sales figures. They should base it off of metacritic. They should look at the market and see how other AAA titles did in past months. Tomb Raider was better than i thought but it was in development for a looong time, so i think they were hoping for amazing sales to recoup the development costs.

Look at Far Cry 3, that was critically acclaimed but i bet that didn't sell as well as it should.
brookie_2001 62

Postby wiesniak1 » 09 Apr 2013, 12:25

What p**ses me off is the fact that all 3 games were good,with Hitman being very good and Tomb Raider just brilliant,yet they sell below expectations.Come november-another Call of Duty comes out and bunch of thick as plank teenagers will spend hours queing for a midnight launch,making it again biggest event ever and earning Bobby Kottick millions of dolllars again.It`s so aanoying-milking cows sell millions,just so publishers are happy until another annual update,but really good games,made with passion and care-sell like s**t and underperform.Another Fifa comes out-sells tons of copies.And why-I don`t know.It is supposed to be "THE ultimate footy game".Really????Played it last week-beating Liverpool wiyh Man Utd 7:0 in the 87-th min.Liverpool attacks and commentator shouts-"IS THIS THE CHANCE FOR THEM TO EARN A DRAW???!!!"Seconds later I plan another goal and he screams-"IS THIA THE GOAL TO FINALLY SEAL THE WIN FOR THEM??!!!!!".What the f..k????And people buy this every year????Yet good games sell crap.I really hope the next gen consoles will bring next generation of gamers,who will finally see what good games mean and will stop buying this s**t from Activision,EA and other greedy bunch of people,instead giving a chance good games,intelligent devs and honest publishers.
wiesniak1 20

Postby toaplan » 09 Apr 2013, 12:29

brookie_2001 wrote:Look at Far Cry 3, that was critically acclaimed but i bet that didn't sell as well as it should.

Far Cry 3 sold 4,5 million copies in about two months and "well above Ubisoft's expectations" :P

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/38 ... missioned/
toaplan 73

Next