to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ouya responds to early negative reviews

Your comments on our articles.

'Ouya has not sent review units out to press'

Ouya has responded to negative early reviews of its Android console, stating that the consoles tested weren't review units.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ouya responds to early negative reviews

Postby diablomaster000 » 09 Apr 2013, 05:46

The latest cell phones have more power then this crap ware.
diablomaster000 55

Re: Ouya responds to early negative reviews

Postby mrlister » 09 Apr 2013, 07:40

diablomaster000 wrote:The latest cell phones have more power then this crap ware.

...and cost four or five times as much! This will still be good for kids who can buy cheap games and people who want to learn to program for android. It is not meant to be a 360 or PS4 competitor!
mrlister 46

Xbox Live: Shinishii
PSN ID: Shinishii
Steam: Shinishii

Postby RustySpoon80 » 09 Apr 2013, 08:31

The units were sent out for a "preview period" to test, in order for Ouya to make improvements based on feedback before the product's official retail launch. The early shipping was also an opportunity for supporters of the Kickstarter campaign to get their hands on the hardware.

So those who supported this through Kickstarter are getting inferior versions of the console and pad. Nice.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby nologo » 09 Apr 2013, 08:59

i just want it for xmbc + and a nice media hub. for £99 who can complain.
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby Padua » 09 Apr 2013, 10:02

nologo wrote:i just want it for xmbc + and a nice media hub. for £99 who can complain.

I want it for that and also to see what the modding community does with it. Could be mental.
At worst it can always remain a decent unintrusive xmbc and media hub for my non-smart TV's :D

I hope it isn't long before the Google Play store is hacked into being on it. 8)
I will have a lot of mobile apps/game that I can enjoy on the OUYA too!

I backed this project but am going to pick mine up on holiday in the USA this June for $99.
Has anyone used a Rasperry Pi for an xmbc :?:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Stigweird85 » 09 Apr 2013, 13:38

Are you saying that a device that costs a fraction of a smart phone/console/PC doesn't deliver the same performance/features of the more expensive device? Surely not.

The Ouya is an interesting prospect but currently at least to me, is nothing more than a gimmick designed to play mobile games on the TV. I view this as a modern equivilent of those X in 1 devices that came out in the 90s.
Stigweird85 44

Xbox Live: Stigweird85
PSN ID: BigStig85
Steam: Stigweird85

Postby Giomanach » 09 Apr 2013, 15:45

if i can run a emu on it all my snes games neogeo etc etc on big tv with it sold just for that
Giomanach 34

Postby Madbrit2K5 » 09 Apr 2013, 16:19

Ouya is about creative gameplay, indie games at there best! Not raw console power.
People need to understand what this console is, it's never been designed to take on the big three.
Like everything it comes down to software, not hardware.
It might be a niche market but finger crossed it can succeed.
Plus it's nice to see a company up front about its issues and what it's doing to correct them!
Madbrit2K5 28

Postby chamony » 09 Apr 2013, 18:42

Madbrit2K5 wrote:Ouya is about creative gameplay, indie games at there best! Not raw console power.
People need to understand what this console is, it's never been designed to take on the big three.
Like everything it comes down to software, not hardware.
It might be a niche market but finger crossed it can succeed.
Plus it's nice to see a company up front about its issues and what it's doing to correct them!

but if it just looks like mobile games on a tv, or a smart tv interface, will it sell in the numbers that devs will really bother with it??
android isnt exactly known as the big money maker is it? far too easy to hack, far to easy to copy games, with this openly being "very hackable"

psp piracy problem caused developers to move away from it, and sh1t still sticks with vita.

ultimately for £100 whats the choice, for the average person, a starter programmer, or young kids???
£100 new - gets you a wii, or nearly a xbox, or nearly a ps3 or it will get you a tablet,
£100 2nd hand will get the above with games/a better tablet, or a cheap laptop/home pc

it does have alot of competition, and a lot of negatives, including this new system every year crap

im seeing a gizmondo here
chamony 39

Xbox Live: 1amGOD
PSN ID: 1amGOD
Steam: 1amGOD

Postby TechnoWolf » 09 Apr 2013, 20:00

chamony wrote:
ultimately for £100 whats the choice, for the average person, a starter programmer, or young kids???
£100 new - gets you a wii, or nearly a xbox, or nearly a ps3 or it will get you a tablet,
£100 2nd hand will get the above with games/a better tablet, or a cheap laptop/home pc

Where the hell do you shop?

The ouya is quite a strange product, and appears to be too niche for a big audience. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of emulators and fairly good games on it though as everyone loves open platforms. I'll be keeping an eye on the ouya and give it a chance, after all don't all weird sounding named products deserve that?
TechnoWolf 61

Postby Magicbigsi » 10 Apr 2013, 15:48

Padua wrote:
nologo wrote:i just want it for xmbc + and a nice media hub. for £99 who can complain.

I want it for that and also to see what the modding community does with it. Could be mental.
At worst it can always remain a decent unintrusive xmbc and media hub for my non-smart TV's :D

I hope it isn't long before the Google Play store is hacked into being on it. 8)
I will have a lot of mobile apps/game that I can enjoy on the OUYA too!

I backed this project but am going to pick mine up on holiday in the USA this June for $99.
Has anyone used a Rasperry Pi for an xmbc :?:

Ive been running my RPi as an xbmc media centre for the last 5 months. Works very well! You can pick up a Pi for £16 for the basic model A board, or £26 for the 512mb top model. Better than that £99, and its much more fun to get it working ;)
Magicbigsi 29