to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Nintendo apologises for Monster Hunter shortages

Your comments on our articles.

New stock for Wii U next week and 3DS in mid-April

Nintendo of Europe boss Satoru Shibata has apologised to UK consumers for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate shortages.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Thane64 » 05 Apr 2013, 11:03

A few days ago I thought my local Tesco and Asda didn't bother to stock any 3DS copies (to be fair they don't stock any Wii U games so I had a genuine reason to believe that :roll:)

I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions in the future...
Thane64 49

Xbox Live: Thane64
PSN ID: Thane64

Postby Knight » 05 Apr 2013, 11:06

There's been lots of shortages of physical copies of Nintendo games. I suspect they're manufacturing ( ?:?? ) these shortages in the hope that they're customers will buy direct from the eShop, duplicating the large sales numbers in Japan from desperate gamers. Ooooooh, controversial!
Knight 55

Re: Nintendo apologises for Monster Hunter shortages

Postby Balladeer » 05 Apr 2013, 11:13

Don't be silly, Knight, buying consumers aren't that stupid...

¬_¬
Balladeer 78

Postby cult » 05 Apr 2013, 11:16

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Wasnt this supposed to be a PlayStation 3 launch game but due to cost cutting on development became a wii game?
That the only differences between the 2009 original and this is just the graphics upgrade to the monsters?

Didn't they cancel/delay the genuine number 4 sequel to provide crossplay experience on wiiu instead?

To me this is so similar to tri and its variants that it just has nothing new to add, there is little point in buying this time sink knowing the true sequel is being held back, for which format though?

Give me a genuine next generation Monster Hunter 4.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby Jingee » 05 Apr 2013, 11:20

My mate is absolutely hammering his Wii U copy atm. Something like 63 hours in a week. Mental.
Jingee 50

Postby Chris Scullion » 05 Apr 2013, 12:26

cult wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...

Wasnt this supposed to be a PlayStation 3 launch game but due to cost cutting on development became a wii game?
That the only differences between the 2009 original and this is just the graphics upgrade to the monsters?

Didn't they cancel/delay the genuine number 4 sequel to provide crossplay experience on wiiu instead?

To me this is so similar to tri and its variants that it just has nothing new to add, there is little point in buying this time sink knowing the true sequel is being held back, for which format though?

Yup, you're wrong. Here are the differences - http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Mon ... 3_Ultimate

Monster Hunter 4 has already been confirmed for 3DS.
Chris Scullion
CVG Staff

Xbox Live: Scully1888
PSN ID: Scully1888

Postby reiku_uk » 05 Apr 2013, 12:36

You're wrong.

They've added in 4 new weapon typesm, changing the gameplay drastically as the weapons really affect the way you approach a hunt. In addition to that they've added 3 new areas, an entirely different multiplayer city, altered quest progression with a more realistic difficulty curve, a new companion for offline play, 11 new large monsters (not including sub-species of those monsters), 5 new small monsters, Awards for completing certain tasks (sort of like acheivements), a new G-rank difficulty with new hunts and challenges, updated camera functionality with the inclusion of a lock-on mechanic (something MH fans have been after for a long time), the ability to port your save from the Wii U version to the 3DS version to carry on playing on the move, G-rank versions of existing armour sets that have overhauled graphics and a new look as well as new weapons and equipment sets for all the new monsters. This is in addition to the obvious graphical upgrade (the dynamic shadows alone make a huge difference in the way the game looks).

After playing both Tri and MH3U it's definitely more than just a small update. In addition it's being supported with a whole load of free DLC over the next few months so will stay fresh for some time.

On the topic of MH4, there's no news of a localisation yet, and if past MH releases are anything to go by you could be waiting a long time before it crosses the border. Passing up on a fantastic update to wait for a game that might not be released over here for years seems like a slightly bad decision, but each to their own.
reiku_uk 5
New user

Postby Knight » 05 Apr 2013, 13:02

reiku_uk wrote:

You're wrong.

They've added in 4 new weapon typesm, changing the gameplay drastically as the weapons really affect the way you approach a hunt. In addition to that they've added 3 new areas, an entirely different multiplayer city, altered quest progression with a more realistic difficulty curve, a new companion for offline play, 11 new large monsters (not including sub-species of those monsters), 5 new small monsters, Awards for completing certain tasks (sort of like acheivements), a new G-rank difficulty with new hunts and challenges, updated camera functionality with the inclusion of a lock-on mechanic (something MH fans have been after for a long time), the ability to port your save from the Wii U version to the 3DS version to carry on playing on the move, G-rank versions of existing armour sets that have overhauled graphics and a new look as well as new weapons and equipment sets for all the new monsters. This is in addition to the obvious graphical upgrade (the dynamic shadows alone make a huge difference in the way the game looks).

After playing both Tri and MH3U it's definitely more than just a small update. In addition it's being supported with a whole load of free DLC over the next few months so will stay fresh for some time.

On the topic of MH4, there's no news of a localisation yet, and if past MH releases are anything to go by you could be waiting a long time before it crosses the border. Passing up on a fantastic update to wait for a game that might not be released over here for years seems like a slightly bad decision, but each to their own.

Thanks reiku_uk for reminding me of the fact that I wasn't able to get a Wii U Premium for £200 (HMV). Tri is the only MH game I have played and LOVED it. Was on the fence about the Ultimate version, but really want it now.
Knight 55

Postby theaface » 05 Apr 2013, 14:33

Nintendo explained the shortages by saying that their factories are overloaded with all of the new Wii U games they had to prin... oh wait.
theaface 45

Postby cult » 05 Apr 2013, 14:37

@ Chris
@Reiku
Thanks for trying

Those differences that you quote and link to sound quite significant gameplay wise but to be honest never really came across in the demo.
Read some reviews that say without the extra content from Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, the game may as well have been a straight port from the Wii.
Different enough but similar for those that put the time in, more a directors cut?
Other than monsters the graphics felt upscaled.
It just didn't feel that much different to me.

Think I will wait for 4.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby Balladeer » 05 Apr 2013, 14:55

I've heard from numerous people (but cannot say myself) that the demo. was dross anyway, and shouldn't be relied on as a picture of the full game.

Anyway, I would buy this, but I am very worried about anything remotely MMORPG-like being a massive drain on my time when I don't have much anyway. Also apparently I can't.
Balladeer 78

Postby Gojira-Fan » 05 Apr 2013, 17:22

The very first part about a PS3 game that became a Wii game is true from what i hear.
The second part is not, there is a significant content increase to the game asides from the graphical upgrade (more than double the monster count IIRC)

4 has not been cancelled, although it has been delayed to summer for "Graphical enhancements". It was originally planned to release in Japan in March. There is no WiiU crossplay for MH4 as it is a 3DS exclusive (although i wouldn't be surprised if they make a WiiU version later on as well) instead MH4 will have online capabilities on it's own (something originally planned for 3G/3U but was dropped to get the game out faster).

It is true that Tri had a huge dip in content for those coming from MHFU, but it had a significant amount of refinements and improvements to the game engine/mechanics itself, and with 3U it is back to a comparable amount of raw content.

MH4 wont be available to the rest of the world for a while still, and if you can't get into this game because it is a "time sink" then the MH franchise doesn't sound like it is for you anyways.
Gojira-Fan 17

Postby alan666 » 05 Apr 2013, 20:36

No shortages of WiiU or 3DS consoles though, the shelves are full of them in the stores that are bothering to stock them.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby jeffery6803 » 05 Apr 2013, 21:42

alan666 wrote:No shortages of WiiU or 3DS consoles though, the shelves are full of them in the stores that are bothering to stock them.

Since you said that now I have to say this, "PS Vita" enough said.
jeffery6803 31