Microsoft creative director speaks in favour of 'always onli

Your comments on our articles.

MS Studios creative director Adam Orth sparks social media controversy

Microsoft Studios creative director Adam Orth has vehemently defended 'always online' technology, amid rumours the next Xbox console will require an internet connection.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Microsoft creative director speaks in favour of 'always onli

Postby rick » 05 Apr 2013, 07:03

Not very professional is it, I can imagine he'll get a call this morning; and it won't be to congratulate him.
rick 40

Xbox Live: Ammogeddon
PSN ID: Ammogeddon

Re: Microsoft creative director speaks in favour of 'always

Postby diablomaster000 » 05 Apr 2013, 07:12

After these comment this guy will be making plug and play atari games for the rest of his life.
diablomaster000 55

Postby toaplan » 05 Apr 2013, 07:18

The worst-case scenario for NextBox: every game on it would have always-on DRM, like Sim-City and Diablo 3. Then when MS eventually discontinues the console and switches off the servers. let's say in 2020, nobody will be able to play any NextBox games ever again :shock:
toaplan 74

Postby flyfletch » 05 Apr 2013, 07:21

He probably should have thought a bit more about this before going to Twitter to voice his opinion. I have to say i dont disagree with him though. Always online doesnt bother me personally, i do understand others have their own reasons for not liking it.

There will come a time though that most things will be always online and people will just have to live with it, Its progress.
Last edited by flyfletch on 05 Apr 2013, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
flyfletch 72

Postby budge » 05 Apr 2013, 07:23

Jerry Maguire moment? I bet he's rueing that now.

All these social sites like Twitter and Facebook seem to eliminate all thought process. People talk too much shite which they wouldn't ordinary say in public.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Postby flyfletch » 05 Apr 2013, 07:24

toaplan wrote:The worst-case scenario for NextBox: every game on it would have always-on DRM, like Sim-City and Diablo 3. Then when MS eventually discontinues the console and switches off the servers. let's say in 2020, nobody will be able to play any NextBox games ever again :shock:

By that point game streaming will probably be up to spec and more accepted by the gaming community, so they would most likely give you access to your games that way.

It just seems to me there is a fear of progress in the gaming community, and thats the last place i expected to see that. People are really digging their heel in about always online and streaming games now, but give it 10 years and no one will be worried and will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Last edited by flyfletch on 05 Apr 2013, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
flyfletch 72

Postby Fr33Kye » 05 Apr 2013, 07:25

diablomaster000 wrote:After these comment this guy will be making plug and play atari games for the rest of his life.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby metallicorphan » 05 Apr 2013, 07:29

toaplan wrote:The worst-case scenario for NextBox: every game on it would have always-on DRM, like Sim-City and Diablo 3. Then when MS eventually discontinues the console and switches off the servers. let's say in 2020, nobody will be able to play any NextBox games ever again :shock:

not really sure what you mean..that's exactly what IS happening with the next xbox,every game is DRM because the new xbox needs an always on connection

and the real worse case scenario is when my internet goes down and i wont be able to play single player games on my xbox or when XBL goes down and i wont be able to play single player games on my Xbox :x

so now you will need an internet connection to play single player games and xbox live gold to play multiplayer games

I swear these people don't live in the same world as us

PS4 is looking a better option more and more as each day passes,and Microsoft haven't even announced or shown anything of their next xbox yet
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby G00N3R » 05 Apr 2013, 07:34

I think Jim Sterling said it best in one of his Sim City videos, I forget the exact words he used, but basically "If you demand the players to be always online, then the players have every right to demand your servers don't go offline even for a second".

They've got to buy enough servers to handle every single Xbox player being online at the same time. They've got to buy enough backup servers to be ready for the primary servers having technical problems. They've got to buy backup power generators to guard against power cuts. Of course they won't do this, because it will eat their profits.

Servers going down for multiplayer games can be annoying, but its something the player has to accept will happen from time to time. But when a server goes down that stops a player from playing a singleplayer game? Get ready for a perfectly justified s**t storm, because that is not an acceptable situation.

I'm primarily a PC player but I also have a 360 so I can play console exclusives. If Microsoft do go always online, that could push me over the edge to get a PS4 instead.
G00N3R 49

Postby BenThomasFoster » 05 Apr 2013, 07:36

Hacking, longevity, system outage, data usage. 3 of them huge problems.

When microsoft decide to turn off their 10 year old useless console that nobody is play anymore what happens to the 100's of pound you invested in it.
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby richomack360 » 05 Apr 2013, 07:36

Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby toaplan » 05 Apr 2013, 07:44

metallicorphan wrote:not really sure what you mean..that's exactly what IS happening with the next xbox,every game is DRM because the new xbox needs an always on connection

I was just guessing that when MS discontinues the console in the future, they might release a firmware update beforehand for an "off-line mode". That way you could still play the (single-player) NextBox games stored on your HDD, even if NextBox Live is switched off. It would be ludicrous, if no NextBox game could be played after the console is discontinued.

But if every game individually would be coded to have an always-on DRM, adding the off-line mode afterwards could be complicated.
Last edited by toaplan on 05 Apr 2013, 07:50, edited 3 times in total.
toaplan 74

Postby aidygaga » 05 Apr 2013, 07:45

After all the problems with sim city and the fact I use BT (very unreliable) a PS4 it is then.....#dealwithit
aidygaga 36

Postby Expendable69 » 05 Apr 2013, 07:55

XBL already has occasional problems with logging in that can sometimes go on for hours, that's without the problems of broadband going down occasionally too! I imagine it will also make them a prime target for the likes of anonymous or some other hacking group, sounds like a total PR disaster waiting to happen!
Expendable69 36

Postby J_2000 » 05 Apr 2013, 07:56

It was Neogaf who caught this, not Reddit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534951
J_2000 47

Next