New iPhone reportedly entering production this quarter

Your comments on our articles.

Summer launch rumoured for new handset; cheaper version may be on the way too

Apple will begin production of a new iPhone similar in size and shape to its latest model in the second quarter of 2013, according to Wall Street Journal sources said to be familiar with the matter.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

New iPhone reportedly entering production this quarter

Postby middle finger » 04 Apr 2013, 09:47

I know folks that'll buy it no matter what.
middle finger 68

Re: New iPhone reportedly entering production this quarter

Postby superfruit » 04 Apr 2013, 09:56

middle finger wrote:I know folks that'll buy it no matter what.

Apple's must have cool is on the wane though. The tech savy know they aren't really seeing anything innovative from Apple anymore and this does seem to be filtering through to the numpty's.

I own an 64gb ipod touch and it's a great device but I also recently purchased a Galaxy S Player for £80 that expands to £64gb with a £40 card and it trumps it in every department really and costs £210 less than the ipod. Even has GPS built in and is now my sat nav of choice.
superfruit 50

Postby HelloLadies » 04 Apr 2013, 11:29

Well bully for you.
HelloLadies 53

Postby Skullet » 04 Apr 2013, 11:47

superfruit wrote:

Apple's must have cool is on the wane though. The tech savy know they aren't really seeing anything innovative from Apple anymore and this does seem to be filtering through to the numpty's.

I own an 64gb ipod touch and it's a great device but I also recently purchased a Galaxy S Player for £80 that expands to £64gb with a £40 card and it trumps it in every department really and costs £210 less than the ipod. Even has GPS built in and is now my sat nav of choice.

So being that your tech savy what would you say other manufactures are doing that is innovative?
Skullet 61

Postby pinkie 2 » 04 Apr 2013, 12:23

doing the same thing for half the price would be one
pinkie 2 51

Postby jonbwfc » 04 Apr 2013, 13:21

There's going to be a new iPhone this year? Really? Thank you for this insight, I'd never have realised this was likely without being told so by an analyst.
jonbwfc 58

Postby GunstarHeroX » 04 Apr 2013, 14:04

pinkie 2 wrote:doing the same thing for half the price would be one

You technologically uninformed folk crack me up. Don't comment if you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
I suppose it could be considered "the same thing" in that a brand new specced-out Ferrari and a 30 year old Lada missing a wheel can both roll to some extent. But really, anyone knowledgeable about technology will tell you you couldn't be more wrong. No other phone can come anywhere near the level of performance and polish of an iPhone. To even suggest that an Android phone is "the same thing" is a statement so ridiculous that I must presume you were high on something when you wrote that.
GunstarHeroX 51

Xbox Live: GunstarHer0X
PSN ID: GunstarHeroX

Postby illage2 » 04 Apr 2013, 16:38

People will buy this no matter what because they think it makes them cool, and that somehow the iPhone 5 is now an inferior product.

But still they need to innovate, iPhones are basically the CoD of the phone world. They use same tired OS, the same hardware that's just been overclocked, same screen, same camera, same everything. No SD card slot, and in order anything remotely good with the device you have jailbreak the device. For example if I wanted to turn off the Wi-Fi, I'd have to go to the home screen, open up the settings, open up the nextwork options and then turn it off. Android has a "quick settings" feature, and true multi-tasking.

Android for all intents and purposes is better because its more accepting of higher end hardware, allowing developers to really push the limits of mobile and tablet gaming, the cameras are usually of 1080p quality, and take high quality photos, and lets not forget that with Android you can customise and tweak the OS to your hearts content.

With my Note 2 I can have two apps open at the same time on the same screen and use both fully, you know how good this would be on Tablets?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Gunstar Hero » 04 Apr 2013, 18:44

GunstarHeroX wrote:
pinkie 2 wrote:doing the same thing for half the price would be one

You technologically uninformed folk crack me up. Don't comment if you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
I suppose it could be considered "the same thing" in that a brand new specced-out Ferrari and a 30 year old Lada missing a wheel can both roll to some extent. But really, anyone knowledgeable about technology will tell you you couldn't be more wrong. No other phone can come anywhere near the level of performance and polish of an iPhone. To even suggest that an Android phone is "the same thing" is a statement so ridiculous that I must presume you were high on something when you wrote that.

All bow to the Lord of Apple, if you disagree with his opinion your wrong get used to it.
Gunstar Hero 15

Postby Skullet » 05 Apr 2013, 03:36

illage2 wrote:People will buy this no matter what because they think it makes them cool, and that somehow the iPhone 5 is now an inferior product.

But still they need to innovate, iPhones are basically the CoD of the phone world. They use same tired OS, the same hardware that's just been overclocked, same screen, same camera, same everything. No SD card slot, and in order anything remotely good with the device you have jailbreak the device. For example if I wanted to turn off the Wi-Fi, I'd have to go to the home screen, open up the settings, open up the nextwork options and then turn it off. Android has a "quick settings" feature, and true multi-tasking.

Android for all intents and purposes is better because its more accepting of higher end hardware, allowing developers to really push the limits of mobile and tablet gaming, the cameras are usually of 1080p quality, and take high quality photos, and lets not forget that with Android you can customise and tweak the OS to your hearts content.

With my Note 2 I can have two apps open at the same time on the same screen and use both fully, you know how good this would be on Tablets?

The iPhone 5 wasn't exactly the same old screen. And iPhone aren't the only phone with no SD card slot, Googles own flagship Nexus 4 amongst others has jumped on the same bandwagon. I get what your saying about having to go into the settings to switch off wifi, but if thats the worst example you can think of then it's not all bad.

I don't really see how Android is any more accepting of higher end hardware than iOS and developers don't seem to be having any issues pushing some seriously impressive results on iOS devices. The camera on the iPhone has been 1080p since the 4S and while it's not the greatest camera on the planet it's hardly the worst. I agree Android is better for tweaking, but the majority of people I know with iPhones or Android phones don't tweak anything, they don't even download apps or games they simply browse Facebook and send text messages.

Again being able to use 2 apps on the screen at once is decent if you need it, but I honestly can't think of any situations where I'd need it on a mobile or a tablet.
Skullet 61

Postby vectra » 05 Apr 2013, 04:10

Not a big fan of Apple personally but both iOS and Android work well enough for me. My phone runs Android and the other half's phone runs iOS.

It will be interesting to see what Apple come up with for the next handset since Samsung has been chomping at their heels in several markets now.

Both the new Galaxy and new iPhone look very interesting.
Forever Old School.
vectra 63

Postby GunstarHeroX » 05 Apr 2013, 10:57

illage2 wrote:Android for all intents and purposes is better because its more accepting of higher end hardware, allowing developers to really push the limits of mobile and tablet gaming

Android is a waste of higher-end hardware. Take all this potential power and then squander it by using an OS so poorly optimized that even after 5+ years of development, you still can't do something as fundamental as swipe to your next row of apps without it visibly struggling to keep up. On a quad core processor with 1GB of ram. It is unacceptable that I can get comparable performance from a 4 year old iPhone 3GS and a brand new Galaxy S3. All Android does is bog down whatever it's installed on. I'm convinced that if you could harness the computing power of the entire universe, then install Android, the bloody thing would still be laggy and unstable. Not to mention the battery life and build quality and app selection and many other ways in which the iPhone is way better.

And if it's "allowing developers to really push the limits of mobile and tablet gaming", why is there nothing to demonstrate that? I've seen nothing Android-exclusive that would show it's a more capable gaming platform in any sense. Stuff like Real Racing 3 and Infinity Blade runs perfectly smooth at insane resolutions on iOS. Plus iOS has a much, much larger selection of games if that's what you want do do with your device.

Gunstar Hero wrote:All bow to the Lord of Apple, if you disagree with his opinion your wrong get used to it.

Lifelong tech enthusiast, near-obsessive interest in technology and gaming for my entire life, and have worked as a SysAdmin for 9 years now. I don't let people contest my educated, experienced opinions on technology. But that's not all. It's just fallacious to suggest any phone is better than the iPhone. It's like saying the Mega Drive is more powerful than a PS3. That is categorically untrue. Doesn't matter if it's your opinion, it's still factually incorrect.
Likewise, it's a fact, not an opinion - which can be proven by spending even 30 seconds comparing the iPhone and any given competitor - that the iPhone is in another league. If you don't agree, then yes, you are in fact wrong.
GunstarHeroX 51

Xbox Live: GunstarHer0X
PSN ID: GunstarHeroX