PS4 set for global launch in 2013, says GameStop exec

Your comments on our articles.

Retailer still waiting to learn Microsoft's final release plans for next Xbox

Sony is planning to launch PS4 globally in 2013, according to GameStop executive vice president Michael Hogan.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PS4 set for global launch in 2013, says GameStop exec

Postby stonecold77 » 02 Apr 2013, 12:23

Oh gawd please let this be true, us Euro-pee-ons have been screwed over by Sony enough times. I just want the PS4 before Xmas.
PSN : STONECOLD77
Gaming since 1983.... DAMN I'M GETTING OLD.
stonecold77 53

Re: PS4 set for global launch in 2013, says GameStop exec

Postby StonecoldMC » 02 Apr 2013, 12:38

There is now way on this Earth that MS are going to have an Event in April now.

Is the rumour of the Event being pushed back to May more plausible then?

Anyways, sounds like good news for Sony. They just need to make sure they capitalise on the momentum that there gaining just now.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby 360_Fan » 02 Apr 2013, 12:39

This guy is a knob. Does he really think he is entitled to know when the next Xbox is going to be released before they have even announced it?
360_Fan 62

Postby richomack360 » 02 Apr 2013, 12:43

360_Fan wrote:This guy is a knob. Does he really think he is entitled to know when the next Xbox is going to be released before they have even announced it?

Where does he say "he" ? He is just as eager as us to find out the release date. If I was a head of a major retailer for a particular brand / product then I would be chomping at the bit to find out the details / build schedule and logistics plans, so he (and his shops) can be prepared for it.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Solm » 02 Apr 2013, 12:52

First time for everything. Sony have never released Globally. Us Europeans are always the last to get new consoles, so I can't see it being any different for PS4.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 54

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby ted1138 » 02 Apr 2013, 12:55

Sony have three major regions to concentrate on, MS only have two. It wouldn't surprise me if MS launch first in the US, and the same time as Sony in Europe... :)
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby 360_Fan » 02 Apr 2013, 13:02

richomack360 wrote:
360_Fan wrote:This guy is a knob. Does he really think he is entitled to know when the next Xbox is going to be released before they have even announced it?

Where does he say "he" ? He is just as eager as us to find out the release date. If I was a head of a major retailer for a particular brand / product then I would be chomping at the bit to find out the details / build schedule and logistics plans, so he (and his shops) can be prepared for it.

Sorry glass ceiling mentality still alive and kicking. I think he needs something to tell the shareholders.we are all chomping at the bit though. :)
360_Fan 62

Postby 360_Fan » 02 Apr 2013, 13:11

Alaann wrote:
he would have to know so he can know how much stock to order,retailers make most of there money during the 3 months leading up to christmass so if its after christmass he would not have to order as much stock as sales are alot lower for the rest of the year and he has to prepare the advertisment campaign

I think stores don't get a say in new console ordering. There is usually limited supplies so they will get what they are allocated. Regardless of the time of year it releases, it will sell. I am still confident we will all be playing it before Christmas.
360_Fan 62

Postby ingy » 02 Apr 2013, 13:12

Supply will be so limited in the uk that for most of us 2014 will probably be the earliest we can pick one up :(
ingy 64

Postby onezeon » 02 Apr 2013, 13:27

ingy wrote:Supply will be so limited in the uk that for most of us 2014 will probably be the earliest we can pick one up :(

errrrr pre order one then? :?
onezeon 26

Postby richomack360 » 02 Apr 2013, 13:41

360_Fan wrote:Sorry glass ceiling mentality still alive and kicking. I think he needs something to tell the shareholders.we are all chomping at the bit though. :)

Hah, not to worry - on a first read through t does come across like that, but to be fair he is just saying what we all want to see and know !

Either way I think the shareholders will enjoy a very nice Q3, champers and cigars at the ready !
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 02 Apr 2013, 13:47

Great news if true to see Sony offering MS some stiff competition and going on the offensive early doors though I personally doubt the UK will see either machine this year. I wait to be proved wrong :mrgreen:

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby Agent75 » 02 Apr 2013, 14:20

Sony was last in with the PS3, then it went on record saying that there's no problem with being last in with the PS4, but then the PS4 showcase comes from nowhere. When you look at the PS brand now, it's gone down hill due to the PS3 and Vita and the PSP could of done a lot better. Yes, the PS4 will be out before the Xbox 720 and I don't see how it's going to do Sony any favours. The power debate (PS4 versus Xbox 720) is the most pointless debate in gaming. Both consoles will be on par with each other, so it'll be down to price, online play, games and probably hard drive sizes (to name a few things). Microsoft are in a better position than Sony, even more so after the poor PS4 showcase. It's impossible for Microsoft not to do better it. Take away cross format games, it'll be down to first party games (obviously). But to be honest, I think it'll be the same old, but that doesn't bother me. Can't say I'm ready for next gen. All it'll be is bigger games with better graphics. But as much as I like Sony, my money is on the Xbox 720. Gut feeling that Microsoft are going to have more surprises. And I couldn't care less if Microsoft delays showing off the Xbox 720, it'll be shown off soon, rather than later.
Agent75 49

Postby Agent75 » 02 Apr 2013, 14:24

onezeon wrote:
ingy wrote:Supply will be so limited in the uk that for most of us 2014 will probably be the earliest we can pick one up :(

errrrr pre order one then? :?

Most people wait to invest in a new console, so even if it sells out at launch, it doesn't mean much. Some consoles sell out at launch because there wasn't many units anyway. But a console selling out, is a tiny fraction of people upgrading. It started with the 3DS launch, then with the Vita launch and then with the Wii U launch. People have more sense these days.
Agent75 49

Postby Druggedchimp » 02 Apr 2013, 15:01

Agent75 wrote:When you look at the PS brand now, it's gone down hill due to the PS3 and Vita and the PSP could of done a lot better.

Not sure what you are basing this comment on. Granted, the Vita has yet to prove successful, PSP was a success but not on the same level as the DS and the PS3 looks set to overtake Xbox 360 lifetime sales. Microsoft are still pushing kinetic to an audience which couldn't care less and have gotten complacent over the last few years. Sony continue to produce new IPs and exclusives, offering free online multiplayer, blu-ray playback and are first to announce their next generation console. If you sign up for playstation plus (the same cost as xbox live) you get a ton of free games to play each month. I have both PS3 and Xbox or (gears-box) as that's all it has over my playstation. I'd say the playstation brand is currently at its strongest (backed by sony's growing share price) especially when compared to Microsoft.
Druggedchimp 30

Next