to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ask CVG Anything: Best multiplayer game, are games getting w

Your comments on our articles.

Plus: Do you miss game manuals? Are Move and Kinect the future of gaming?

Ask CVG Anything does exactly what it says on the tin. We ask followers on the CVG Facebook page and forums to send in their best game-related questions, and do our best to answer them.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ask CVG Anything: Best multiplayer game, are games getting w

Postby toaplan » 30 Mar 2013, 13:24

Best multiplayer game ever: 5-player Bomberman on the PC Engine. Saturn Bomberman supported 10 players, but I only had a couple of Saturn pads.

Other gruelling local multiplayer games that have had me and co-players in stitches: Decathlete and Winter Heat (Saturn) and International Track & Field (PS1). Baku Baku on the Saturn also...

Printed game manuals are among the reasons why I prefer physical over digital. I still sometimes like to glance through SNES and MD manuals.
toaplan 74

Re: Ask CVG Anything: Best multiplayer game, are games getti

Postby Balladeer » 30 Mar 2013, 13:52

Cranky Kong is the best manual writer!
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby TerrorK » 30 Mar 2013, 14:16

Thanks for at least answering the question, Tamoor. I don't think it's entirely a satisfactory one, but... it's more than most have given.

Tamoor wrote:As for the shift away from the deep RPG elements; that was sad but necessary in the industry of today.

Why? I just don't see this. Especially when previous games have proven that there's still a market for decent RPGs. BioWare themselves even said Dragon Age: Origins was a big success and their most successful IP in the wake of it... and then just changed things up for DA2 despite this and dumbed it down. There's a difference between "necessary" and "driven by greed" because I fail to see how a Mass Effect 3 with more dialogue options and greater player agency would have been a financial failure. We got to Mass Effect 3 for a reason: because the prior two were successes and profitable. "Necessary" does not cover it.

Given a choice between a Mass Effect that the average person can also enjoy and no Mass Effect at all, I'd pick the former every time.

I'd disagree. Because if Mass Effect 3 is the end result of this, then I'd consider it no Mass Effect at all. Change something enough and it ceases to be what defined it in the first place, and as far as I'm concerned Mass Effect 3 ceased to be a Mass Effect game any more. And I'd rather have an unfinished trilogy than see a series I once love get dragged through the crap just for the sake of mass appeal. And that's what the series did: went from Mass Effect to Mass Appeal.

A player becomes a fan of something not just for what it is, but for what it's not. I was a fan of Mass Effect. ME3 was not Mass Effect. BioWare did exactly what you guys lambasted the recent Resident Evil entries for... what Deus Ex: Invisible War did years ago and got panned for. And yet ME3 doesn't get the same treatment and these shortcomings are almost utterly ignored.
TerrorK 55

Postby sbradley88 » 30 Mar 2013, 14:27

Thank you guys soooo much for Onomatopoeia's response. I love you guys a bit more after reading that. <3
sbradley88 59

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby mus42 » 30 Mar 2013, 15:15

Best MP game? Goldeneye on N64...soooooo good! :D
mus42 31

Postby toaplan » 30 Mar 2013, 15:22

TerrorK wrote:ME3 was not Mass Effect. BioWare did exactly what you guys lambasted the recent Resident Evil entries for... what Deus Ex: Invisible War did years ago and got panned for. And yet ME3 doesn't get the same treatment and these shortcomings are almost utterly ignored.

I wonder what the Bioware guys would think, if someone told them that ME3 "wasn't Mass Effect"... A lot of the reviewers acknowledged and mentioned the shortcomings, but gave the game stellar scores despite them. I think people were just happy about being able to enjoy this grand and spectacular sci-fi trilogy. That kind of sci-fi is not so easy to come by these days, either in the cinema or in video games :|

Reviewers tended to emphasize the many positives of ME3: gripping story and atmosphere, excellent characters, dialogue and voice acting, interesting conclusion, production values through the roof, game is even more rewarding for players who have played the previous games, improved customization, much improved and more enjoyable combat on so on. The more positive aspects a game has going for it - and ME3 has so many - the easier it is to overlook any negatives.
toaplan 74

Postby Rammsoldat » 30 Mar 2013, 15:59

Not being a mass effect fan i could be wrong but wasn't the actual main gripe about the ending of 3 the fact that it really didn't take any notice of choices made in the game to affect the outcome? bit like dragon age 2. And that one of the selling points of the entire series was that choices mattered?

Ive talked to a few mass effect fans and they had no problem with the game up until that ending.

Oh i wouldnt say games are worse these days, im still able to find games that really stick with me after all and even back in the day there was a large amount of crap (Tom and Jerry on the master system went back to Dixons after i finished it in an hour and my parents were appalled that i could get through it that quick lol got swapped for bubble bobble).
#PS4noDRM into the Universe, towards the stars we go
Rammsoldat 59

Xbox Live: brand3d on3
PSN ID: Rammsoldat
Steam: Rammsoldat

Postby Barry316 » 30 Mar 2013, 16:03

Best multiplayer game for me was California Games. I set the scores and laughed as others couldn't get near em!
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby Amoeba88 » 30 Mar 2013, 16:20

Best Multiplayer for me has to go to TimeSplitters 2 or Micro-Maniacs, a lot of love for the double multitap setup!
Amoeba88 41

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 30 Mar 2013, 16:41

I liked TerrorK's question. Everyone always focuses on Mass Effect 3's ending and hardly anyone ever mentions the rest of the game, which in my opinion was a huge step down from the previous games.
Mortal Mad Matt 49

Xbox Live: Mortal Mad Matt

Postby Jingee » 30 Mar 2013, 16:51

Best multiplayer? Too many choices.
Timesplitters 2/FP, Halo 2 (local and online), any of the Mazza Karts, Bomberman, SSBM/B, Micro Machines! Even the games on Nintendoland are mega fun with 4-5 people. Everyone should just have a top 5.
Jingee 50

Postby Antideluvian » 30 Mar 2013, 22:11

Why are games getting worse, is it because of accessibility or everyone having low standards? - Onomatopoeia

Tamoor - Games aren't getting worse.

Chris - Games aren't getting worse, they're getting better. The problem is that members of online forums - who are the minority of gamers, remember - are never satisfied and act like something as trivial as a game's ending is as offensive as someone slapping their mothers in the face. Games aren't getting worse, everyone's just getting pettier.

Rob - Games are a fascinating medium because expectations climb continually. While the Godfather (1972) can stand shoulder to shoulder with The Departed (2006), games of previous decades are not even comparable with modern titles. Now, obviously there are some amazing, incredible gems of the past, but overall I feel that the quality bar has been raised immeasurably. With that in mind, I'm afraid I can't answer your question.

If you look as far back as Systemshock 2 to Infinite the medium has become less byzantine and arduous. Everything is becoming more cinematic and it's starting to be the main focus of games today, games are now revolving around set pieces and linearity. Most games today end up taking control from the player and then descend in to mediocrity becoming £40 theme park rides.
I write for GatherYourParty.com

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/gypryan
Antideluvian 25

Postby TerrorK » 31 Mar 2013, 08:49

toaplan wrote:
I wonder what the Bioware guys would think, if someone told them that ME3 "wasn't Mass Effect"... A lot of the reviewers acknowledged and mentioned the shortcomings, but gave the game stellar scores despite them. I think people were just happy about being able to enjoy this grand and spectacular sci-fi trilogy. That kind of sci-fi is not so easy to come by these days, either in the cinema or in video games :|

"That kind of sci-fi" was pretty much killed in ME3, after being somewhat driven down the path already in ME2. The original premise and game had a definite feel of classic cinema sci-fi from when it was at it's strongest: the late 70's through the 80's and the very early 90's. Casey Hudson, Drew Karpyshyn and the others all touted the fact it was a homage to this era of sci-fi and the likes of Blade Runner, Alien, Dune, the early Star Trek movies, the original Star Wars trilogy, etc. By the time it got to Mass Effect 3 the series had taken a distinctly modern approach more resembling today's big budget, over-the-top mindless action films. The film grain option wasn't even there any more in ME3.

Reviewers tended to emphasize the many positives of ME3: gripping story and atmosphere, excellent characters, dialogue and voice acting, interesting conclusion, production values through the roof, game is even more rewarding for players who have played the previous games, improved customization, much improved and more enjoyable combat on so on. The more positive aspects a game has going for it - and ME3 has so many - the easier it is to overlook any negatives.

Beyond the combat and a few technical aspects, ME3 did everything weaker than the other games though.

The story was rubbish for the most part and BioWare's once-great writing was severely lacking in the final part. It was linear, so many factors didn't make sense, the whole thing pivoted on a horribly trite and lazy Deus Ex Machina solution that BioWare outright promised we weren't going to get, pretty much anything to do with Cerberus and Kai Leng was utter garbage and they upstaged The Reapers and shoved them aside to dominate as antagonists too often, and there were so many poorly written weak excuses to keep the story on the rails whenever possible (Clone Rachni Queen, the new Council being exactly like the old ones, Ashley and Kaidan being shoved aside half the damn game and acting almost identically when rarely present, pretty much every replacement character for somebody who could have died just being the same as them and doing the same as them, Legion literally just replacing himself, etc.). Sure... we saw glimmers of brilliance in Tuchanka and Rannoch, but beyond that the whole thing was just a glorified, overly linear war story that punished you whenever you tried to deviate too much from what BioWare wanted.

Voice-acting was good, but many characters were questionably handled. Kai Leng, James Vega and Allers were all rubbish. Ashley went from hardened Alliance soldier to big-titted, oversexed bimbo. Udina and Din Korlack suddenly being Cerberus supporters didn't make a lick of sense. Hell... characters like Captain Kirrahe, Matriarch Aethyta and Oriana didn't even look the same! Not to mention a lot of what made the original characters special was constantly undone whenever there was some other chump to step in and just do their job for them in the same way just as efficiently.

Calling the conclusion "interesting" is like calling sticking your testicles in a blender "interesting."

And the game was NOT more rewarding to players who imported their saves! Aside from the fact that the damn face import doesn't even work, it was insulting more than half the time than anything. I can understand new players enjoying the game, but how any proper fan can be anything but massively insulted is beyond me. Almost nothing was handled in a satisfactory manner. Too many war assets instead of real consequences, too little proper variation in outcomes, too many weak substitutions and poorly written solutions to make sure no matter how varied your playthrough it ends up as just the same tedious game in the end. Nothing matters, nothing feels rewarding. It's like EA just took a p**s on everybody who played the other two games.

And again, I don't see how anybody can consider an RPG game good and rate it high when it doesn't even let you ROLE PLAY!

Oh, and the best multiplayer game of all time is the original Unreal Tournament.
TerrorK 55

Postby Lt Fatman » 31 Mar 2013, 10:57

Still love reading these.

I've got some questions this time, feel free to use any of the below if you want to:

What do you think of trophies and achievements, do you like them, hate them, or just indifferent to them?
Do you think they have changed gaming much since they have been introduced?

If there is one thing you could change when it comes to trophies and achievements, what would it be?

Every time I load up a game I'm usually thinking about the trophy side of things, not so sure that's a good thing..
it's a great feling when you fight hard for one and it's taken some serious skill, but does it take something away from games as well? Was it better when we set our own goals on playing through a classic a 2nd, 3rd or 4th time?

Thanks
Lt Fatman 25

Postby richomack360 » 31 Mar 2013, 13:10

Skies of Arcadia 2 - when ? :D
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Next