Xbox silence at GDC isn't the full picture, says Epic exec

Your comments on our articles.

Mark Rein says lack of Next Xbox talk "is more perception than reality"

Microsoft's next-gen silence at this week's Game Developers Conference has been dismissed as "more perception than reality," by Epic Games co-founder Mark Rein.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Xbox silence at GDC isn't the full picture, says Epic exec

Postby shiwayb » 29 Mar 2013, 22:34

He has a point tbh.

Microsoft no doubt will have something equally as impressive as the PS4 to show when they are fully ready and of course it will most likely be before E3 if not then definitely at E3.

I guess you can expect it to be a little more assertive and polished with perhaps the console itself *actually* making an appearance in a final form with final specs.

Also yeah the PS4 was announced a little out the blue for me, and again even though ill be importing an American one like the PS3, it's still a long way to wait for one so makes no difference how long MS take to announce theirs.

Announcing it in April/June and then releasing in September/October would be impressive if MS can manage it!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2842130498.png = 120 Mb.

AlienWare ALX Area 51 PC + 30" Dell Monitor
Samsung 52" Full HDTV
Cambridge Audio Amp + Kef Speakers
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
Wii U
3DS XL
iPhone 5S
shiwayb 55

Xbox Live: Io BALLiSTiC oI
PSN ID: Io-BALLiSTiC-oI

Re: Xbox silence at GDC isn't the full picture, says Epic ex

Postby Black Mantis » 29 Mar 2013, 23:04

He's right, but patience isn't a virtue on the internet, so Microsoft keeping silent is driving journalists (they need more hits) and the gaming public (need ammo for the console war) nuts.
Black Mantis 67

Postby Barca Azul » 29 Mar 2013, 23:53

Right or wrong, the longer they stay silent, makes me think they haven't the big reveal to trump the PS4 that a lot of people seem to think.

Happy to be wrong mind.
Barca Azul 63

Postby damoxuk » 29 Mar 2013, 23:58

All i'm bothered about is getting my hands on these beauties. Been a LONG wait this gen. Although I tend to use my ps3 more and have my 360 for 360 exclusives that may change if 720 has a blu-ray drive. One of the main reasons I use my ps3 mainly is because I watch a lot of Blu-ray movies/TV shows so the ps3 is like the main hub.

Either way I've set aside funds for both consoles and a few games. Now to find money for a new PC my 5 years machine is croaking and my ipad 1st gen needs upgrading. Damn tech is expensive. But I love it.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby BenThomasFoster » 30 Mar 2013, 01:34

Barca Azul wrote:Right or wrong, the longer they stay silent, makes me think they haven't the big reveal to trump the PS4 that a lot of people seem to think.

Happy to be wrong mind.

You are wrong, m$ are just going to blow E3 up. wheter or not the console/software is any good next box's reveal at e3 will be their trump card and sony/nintendo just a side show to the full reveal. sony has probably changed the way they're going to aproace e3 because of microsofts silence, and is certainly why they held back any uncharted/gran tourismo annoucements. or the stubtly hinted final fantasy 7 HD/remake
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby Taus » 30 Mar 2013, 01:44

It's happening, as Mark Rein said, behind the scenes

I know companies in the UK which are working with a version of the new XBox & PS4, all are locked down via NDAs so I hear bits and pieces about them but nothing particularly significant, from friends in the business

Upshot is, the new XBox is well known & understood by the people that are making product for the console, irrespective of GDC
Taus 54

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby CatfishMurphy » 30 Mar 2013, 05:56

Well, every third party game announced for the PS4 has been announced for the Nextbox as well, so clearly cogs are turning somewhere.

And yes, it's fun to speculate that MS either have a trump card or stinking poo up their sleeve because they're last to announce, but it really matter to the absolute zero degree of f**k all once the consoles are actually out. I mean who will buy a console solely, or even partly, because it was announced first?
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby rick » 30 Mar 2013, 08:45

Well I feel vindicated about my response to your article about the "deafening silence" of Microsoft at the GDC. That report was hasty and misinformed, and to be honest poor gaming journalism. There are many readers here that know the industry well and you made us dumber for reading it.
rick 40

Xbox Live: Ammogeddon
PSN ID: Ammogeddon

Postby Agent75 » 30 Mar 2013, 09:55

Microsoft's Xbox 720 showcase will trample Sony's PS4 showcase.
Agent75 49

Postby stonecold77 » 30 Mar 2013, 10:23

Agent75 wrote:Microsoft's Xbox 720 showcase will trample Sony's PS4 showcase.

So you have a time machine do you?
PSN : STONECOLD77
Gaming since 1983.... DAMN I'M GETTING OLD.
stonecold77 53

Postby dwhlufc » 30 Mar 2013, 10:25

stonecold77 wrote:
Agent75 wrote:Microsoft's Xbox 720 showcase will trample Sony's PS4 showcase.

I'm glad you said that.

Not a mod anymore?
dwhlufc 76

Postby Barry316 » 30 Mar 2013, 11:21

Different stonecold Dave.

And course Agent knows it'll be better, he's seen it remember. It has bigger vents, it's a colour, has the same pad as the 360 just slightly different and it'll play games. The man is in the know.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby flyfletch » 30 Mar 2013, 11:49

dwhlufc wrote:
stonecold77 wrote:

I'm glad you said that.

Not a mod anymore?

I dont think thats the same Stonecold.....
flyfletch 72

Postby Jensonjet » 30 Mar 2013, 13:06

I don't think it makes much difference when Microsoft announce their next machine. It's coming, we know that. The games on it will look near identical to Sony's next gen; of that we can be certain. And it'll have all the features we'd expect of a modern console.

Ultimately gamers are likely to buy from the same manufacturer they did this generation. The machines, and their spec hardly make a difference. What our friends have, online or real, and the joypad we prefer are probably the most important issues in our purchase choice.

I actually appreciate Microsoft's silence at this stage. I don't care for conspiracy theories about the lack of news. There may be genuine reasons. I suspect it's likely they've had a strategy in place for some time, and their announcement just happens to be later than Sony's. For those of us desperate for next gen consoles Sony have shown us a glimpse of the games coming.

I wish Sony and Microsoft had the confidence to release their machines several years apart from each other. That way, if we chose, we'd only ever be without new tech every couple of years or so. The way things currently run makes it very obvious how paranoid, and how little confidence both companies have. I imagine the shareholders determine the identical release dates... because I'm not convinced it's beneficial to gamers.
Jensonjet 47

Postby only_777 » 30 Mar 2013, 13:16

BenThomasFoster wrote:
Barca Azul wrote:Right or wrong, the longer they stay silent, makes me think they haven't the big reveal to trump the PS4 that a lot of people seem to think.

Happy to be wrong mind.

You are wrong, m$ are just going to blow E3 up. wheter or not the console/software is any good....

I don't even...what? Do you even read what you type before those fan boy hands start bashing the keyboard in fury?!
The famous Dodgy Kebaab Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/dodgykebaab
only_777 62

Next