to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

David Hayter snubbed for MGS5 as part of series reinvention,

Your comments on our articles.

Metal Gear creator explains his decision

Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima has said that replacing popular Snake voice actor David Hayter with a new actor will help reflect a change of direction for the long-running series.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

David Hayter snubbed for MGS5 as part of series reinvention,

Postby Black Mantis » 29 Mar 2013, 22:02

I'm in the minority who's happy about this move, his voice really grated.
Black Mantis 67

Re: David Hayter snubbed for MGS5 as part of series reinvent

Postby Onomatopoeia » 29 Mar 2013, 22:15

I still think this is Kojima and Hayter trolling us all. If anyone remembers pre MGS2 you can see where I'm coming from.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 29 Mar 2013, 22:20

I can't say I'm fussed to be honest. IMO other games characters have more unique and worthwhile voices than Solid Snake and the cheesy gruff line delivery really has gotten old in my opinion. They technically already did away with Hayter as the voice of Big Boss in MGS4 anyway so... yeah.

Phantom Whatever definitely gave me the impression this was a new direction for the series. I can see long winded and dull cutscenes being replaced with more real time goings on like the walkthrough demo. I loved the last few MGS games but to me they need to be rebooted and this is a series redirection I can agree with.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby sammikid » 29 Mar 2013, 22:26

Black Mantis wrote:I'm in the minority who's happy about this move, his voice really grated.

I also don't mind, his voice is synonamous with the character so can understand why people are upset.
I found his voice acting to be hit and miss so I'm looking forward to the new direction and who they have chosen to replace him.
sammikid 57

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby MattyR95 » 29 Mar 2013, 22:28

Bad move, for me. I wouldn't be arsed normally but the voice is legendary and unless they get an equally good replacement, it wouldn't be right. I can understand it for this game though, since Big Boss' voice has to change at some point due to MGS4. But if he wont be coming back at all, I'll be disappointed. I'm hoping he'll be back when Solid Snake comes back into things (It'd be ridiculous to change his voice).
MattyR95 53

Postby BenThomasFoster » 29 Mar 2013, 22:30

yes but Hayter and the fans deserve a little more respect, you could have told hayter "Hey sorry bro were not using your voice" and then a little warning to the fans.

After all it's only a voice actor, the voice actor reads a script they don't input in anyother way
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby metallicorphan » 29 Mar 2013, 22:33

Gutted myself,been hearing David Hayter's voice as Snake for the last 15 years,always loved it

as for reinvention,yeah that's b*****ks,Kaz sounds the same,and i read the Japanese Actor for Snake is the same(Akio Ōtsuka)

TheCrimsonFenix wrote: They technically already did away with Hayter as the voice of Big Boss in MGS4 anyway so... yeah.

yeah but then Peace Walker was released afterwards with Hayter as Big Boss,and that part you mention makes sense anyway as that scene had both Big boss and Sold Snake in..and the new voice is not MGS4s Big Boss voice either(Richard Doyle),Japanese Version of MGS4 was voiced by a different actor as well(actually Akio's Father Chikao Ōtsuka)
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby getup2k » 29 Mar 2013, 22:39

Seems like a very odd choice, apparently the japanese voice actor is staying the same..? There are many ways to change the series without changing the voice actor. Snake needs to sound a bit different... but we need to know its still the same guy. So get Hayter to change his voice a bit.. pretty sure actors can do that! Can't see this working, hoping it is a troll.
getup2k 45

Postby djreplay » 29 Mar 2013, 22:47

It's probably Nolan North
djreplay 56

Xbox Live: u crazy fools
PSN ID: djreplay

Postby budge » 29 Mar 2013, 22:56

It won't be the same without that iconic voice, in my opinion. :(
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 29 Mar 2013, 22:59

metallicorphan wrote:Gutted myself,been hearing David Hayter's voice as Snake for the last 15 years,always loved it

as for reinvention,yeah that's b*****ks,Kaz sounds the same,and i read the Japanese Actor for Snake is the same(Akio Ōtsuka)

TheCrimsonFenix wrote: They technically already did away with Hayter as the voice of Big Boss in MGS4 anyway so... yeah.

yeah but then Peace Walker was released afterwards with Hayter as Big Boss,and that part you mention makes sense anyway as that scene had both Big boss and Sold Snake in..and the new voice is not MGS4s Big Boss voice either(Richard Doyle),Japanese Version of MGS4 was voiced by a different actor as well(actually Akio's Father Chikao Ōtsuka)

Now that I remember, wasn't Hayter not long ago asking fans via Twitter or something to see what their reaction would be if he didn't return to voice the character ? I wonder if it's possibly related.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Silentbob293 » 29 Mar 2013, 23:01

Maybe they are using the actor playing Snake in the movie (if it is still happening) to voice the characters from now on to create consistency in the franchise it would explain why only the English voice actor has changed and why they won't announce who it is. :?: (probably not)
Silentbob293 53

Postby GunsGunsPotato » 29 Mar 2013, 23:10

I have a suspicious feeling solid snake may feature in this game (possibly the death of big boss) and david hayter will be voicing him...well thats what i hope :)
GunsGunsPotato 32

Postby goomba_guy » 29 Mar 2013, 23:16

Fingers crossed it will be Charles Martinet :mrgreen:
goomba_guy 28
New user

Postby bivis87 » 29 Mar 2013, 23:35

First Michael Ironside and now this, what is it with stealth game voice actors? They nearly replaces David Bateson (voice of 47) in hitman absolution as well, sheesh

I reckon David Hayter will be involved in some respect, hes too synonymous with the character to be left out, then again Im sure people said this when Connery stopped playing Bond...
bivis87 28

Next