to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

You're doing it wrong: 10 games that reward you for failure

Your comments on our articles.

You lose... congratulations, here's your prize!

To unlock most achievements and trophies you have to actually accomplish something - that's why they called them 'achievements' in the first place, right? However, every now and then a game comes along that does the opposite, by giving you recognition for making a complete hash of things. Here we've picked our ten favourites, let us know the best virtual award you've received for failing in the comments below.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

You're doing it wrong: 10 games that reward you for failure

Postby sonic_uk » 29 Mar 2013, 13:22

You forgot to mention the Forza games, where even if you lose you still get money (in Multiplayer anyway, I cant remember if this is the same in Single Player). I was playing it the other night against two friends of mine, and got £7,500 for coming last! Its a shame real life isn't as easy. I could just turn up at Brands or Silverstone, do a couple of laps, and win or lose go home with thousands of pounds!
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Re: You're doing it wrong: 10 games that reward you for fail

Postby captainwolfos » 29 Mar 2013, 13:34

There's another one in Kingdoms of Amalur's Teeth of Naros DLC: I Regret Nothing. You launch yourself to your death by jumping into the giant pit in the middle of the city.
captainwolfos 2
New user

Xbox Live: captainwolfos
Steam: captainwolfos

Postby runadumb » 29 Mar 2013, 15:26

I had to go onto easy mode for the last boss in God of war. I clicked no 3 or 4 times but he was just kicking the crap out of me. I was raging when I finally yielded.

I got little satisfaction finishing the game like that but I got though the whole game without much bother up to that point so f**k them for making him such a hard bastard! :evil:
runadumb 61

Postby beemoh » 29 Mar 2013, 16:04

Portal 2 manages to pull the same trick on you again with the "Pit Boss" achievement.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 59

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 29 Mar 2013, 16:12

"Unlike most modern games, in God of War you can't change the difficulty level once you've made your initial choice"

But you can cry like a bitch and have the developers hand you a patch.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby Lt Fatman » 29 Mar 2013, 18:59

I actually fell for the Portal 2 trick. I must admit, hearing the trophy pling upon dying made me feel better about my foolishness.
Lt Fatman 25

Postby Adam Whitehead » 29 Mar 2013, 20:01

Theres also a second one on monkey island 1 which is in the secrets fail to escape cannibals village 3 times i escaped 1st time therefore missed out couldn't be bothered to go through full game again
Adam Whitehead 3
New user

Postby billysastard » 29 Mar 2013, 21:12

lego rock band (360) start the game on very easy, don't pick up the mic and you'll get a perfect score (and 20g).

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Ninja Sheep762 » 29 Mar 2013, 22:41

*SPOILERS FOR PORTAL 2* There's a second one in portal 2. After the bit with the pit of spikes, Wheatley tells you to stop. He seems surprised if you do, and tells you to go on the target again. He then declares the trap and is sad when it doesn't go off, and just asks you to chuck yourself in - and awards you with an achievement when you comply.
Ninja Sheep762 29

Postby PMIKE5 » 30 Mar 2013, 14:38

No, this is the greatest quiz that rewards you getting it wrong. http://www.superimportanttest.com/ (it's not spam, honest)
My artwork. Hope you like it :)
My kindle comics
PMIKE5 46