to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Loved and loathed: 10 games that have split opinions wide op

Your comments on our articles.

Featuring a game that was scored 92%... and 1/10

Although a general consensus can be found amongst critics and fans for most releases, there are some games that make it their life's work to split opinion. Here's 10 of the most divisive games, along with the critical reviews from both ends of the scale, and the Metacritic user review voted 'most helpful'. Who do you think got it right? Let us know in the comments below.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Loved and loathed: 10 games that have split opinions wide op

Postby budge » 28 Mar 2013, 15:29

Dragon Age 2.

It wasn't a patch on Origins but still a decent game on its own I thought.

I'm gonna try again and get into Deadly Premonition. Wish me luck.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Re: Loved and loathed: 10 games that have split opinions wid

Postby Ali_ » 28 Mar 2013, 15:46

Operation Flashpoint on console is one of the funniest games ever made. The AI squad are so utterly stupid they become endearing. It was like taking a special needs class on a school trip to a war zone.
Ali_ 54

Postby Rammsoldat » 28 Mar 2013, 15:47

Godhand was so awesome, i remember the IGN review and it sounded like the guy really wanted his hand held through the game wich was never gonna happen. The difficulty is adaptive but it was a game made for gamers who want a challenge just like the souls series. Sucks that theres hundreds of really casual games out there for folk to play and whenever a good challenging one shows up that the rest of us enjoy theres a loud glut of people crying about how the difficulty excludes them.
#PS4noDRM
SANDVICH AND I ARE COMING FOR YOU!
Rammsoldat 52

PSN ID: Rammsoldat
Steam: Rammsoldat

Postby photoboy » 28 Mar 2013, 15:50

I never understood IGN's problem with GodHand, I thought it was great. I suppose they couldn't find an excuse to do a bikini photoshoot and so marked it down accordingly.

I'm surprised to see anyone found something positive to say about Angel of Darkness. I distinctly remember being unable to continue on the PC version because of a bug that caused Lara to fire every single bullet in her inventory in the space of 2 seconds leaving me with no ammo. Maybe with another 6-12 months to fix it, it could have been good, but since Eidos needed it out by a specific date to please shareholders and didn't give a toss about quality it was basically released unfinished.
photoboy 47

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 28 Mar 2013, 16:02

IGN's reviews arent worth the virtual paper they are written on. Their scores just reflect the amount of advertising the games take out on their site.
TheLastDodo - "EU PS Store: Lowering........scratch that, Burying the bar since 2007"
DAEDALUS79 72

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby richomack360 » 28 Mar 2013, 16:03

Resi 6, with its bizarre score / write up ?
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richomack360 59
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby TheLastDodo » 28 Mar 2013, 16:04

Add another ten:

Resident Evil 6, Enslaved, Far Cry 2, Heavy Rain, Saints Row 3, Borderlands, GTA IV, Darksiders, Assassins Creed 3, Mass Effect 3.
TheLastDodo 76

Postby AlienClown » 28 Mar 2013, 16:28

You should do a feature on games that suffered due to receiving just good reviews. Like a score of 8/10. That can really hurt some games. Especially if they don't conform to well worn styles. I'd argue that Mafia II, Alan Wake and Mirrors Edge (all brilliant games in my opinion) are examples of games that deserved more success but were hurt by reviews that were at best mostly positive and at worst outright dismissive. Points were deducted for niggles that are overlooked in more mainstream games. How can Black Ops 2 get such good scores when it's campaign is one of the worst single player experience I've had.

Surely there's an interesting feature there.
Last edited by AlienClown on 28 Mar 2013, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
AlienClown 30

Postby runadumb » 28 Mar 2013, 16:30

I haven't played any of them :oops:

I completely forgot about Red Steel. I MUST play it!
runadumb 61

Postby AlienClown » 28 Mar 2013, 16:33

I think Destructoid's review of ....whatever it's called was purposely ironic. I remember when the review came out. It was suspiciously glowing.
AlienClown 30

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 28 Mar 2013, 16:44

And the moral of the story is.. IGN wouldn't know a great game if it repeatedly punched them in the nuts and then started talking to itself.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 28 Mar 2013, 16:45

runadumb wrote:I haven't played any of them :oops:

I completely forgot about Red Steel. I MUST play it!

I'd skip it and play the sequel instead. you can pick it up dirt cheap in most places and is miles better than the orignal.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Mar 2013, 16:48

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:And the moral of the story is.. IGN wouldn't know a great game if it repeatedly punched them in the nuts and then started talking to itself.

If the definition of a great game is one that punches you in the nuts then talks to itself then I think you have a misprint in your dictionary.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby BenThomasFoster » 28 Mar 2013, 16:59

A real gamer wouldn't recommend borderlands 2 over any other game, it's a poor game in its own right, festering in le meme XD culture, brought with pointless looting and rather boring world and characters, along with that the mission verity is standard the gun play is average. It's only saving grace is that it looks fine and is actually an alright co-op game, considering how crap single player is. Perhaps borderlands 3 needs MMO treatment next gem consoles will allow it of course.
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby Manjushri » 28 Mar 2013, 17:26

Ali_ wrote:Operation Flashpoint on console is one of the funniest games ever made. The AI squad are so utterly stupid they become endearing. It was like taking a special needs class on a school trip to a war zone.

LOL, I'm gonna go and buy this now.
I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.

Groucho Marx
Manjushri 48

PSN ID: Rottingface
Steam: Rottingface

Next