to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Mobile gaming is 'over', says Atari founder Bushnell

Your comments on our articles.

"There's no money" in crowded mobile game platforms

In a claim that swims against the tide of industry consensus, respected Atari founder and BAFTA Fellow Nolan Bushnell has claimed the mobile games ecosystem is now on borrowed time.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby sammikid » 27 Mar 2013, 17:33

Amen to that
sammikid 60

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby 10699 » 27 Mar 2013, 17:34

He's right, mobile gaming is going the way of console gaming, in that the AAA or well advertised rise to the top, and everything else sinks. There is no money in it especially with Zynga, Rovio and EA upping the ante and the money they are putting into it, smaller devs/indies have a very hard time getting discovered in the sea of shovel ware out there unless they have the money/time investment to hit the quality required.
10699 55

Re: Mobile gaming is 'over', says Atari founder Bushnell

Postby CatfishMurphy » 27 Mar 2013, 17:46

I don't know what to believe anymore!
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby Malmo » 27 Mar 2013, 17:56

I don't think it's over, I just think it needs a proper distribution service, kind of like steam on PC. The closest thing android has is tegrazone, which has games that only make use of tegra processors. Basically, you need a storefront which contains games approved of a certain level of professional quality. Indie games and to be honest, a gazillion crap apps (crapps?) fill the regular play store to the point it's nigh impossible to find anything.
If they could implement such a system then voila, instant solution to proper developers having their games on the shelf for everyone to see without them being overshadowed by all the garbage.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Postby Skullet » 27 Mar 2013, 18:17

I think the issue is that he just can't find a way to profit from it so he'd rather just declare it was dead, maybe he should try making great games instead of simply finding ways to cash in.
Skullet 60

Postby runadumb » 27 Mar 2013, 18:41

Malmo you make a good point.

Also you get bonus INTERNETS for Crapps.
runadumb 61

Postby FixBeatGames » 27 Mar 2013, 18:56

i don't think mobile gaming is over, but i do think indie devs are pushed for time.

big companies, such as EA, are finally putting their money and people into proper mobile games, as soon as that happens regularly and with more of the big players, all the indie devs/games will suffer, just like they do on the COD-MACHINES at present, where COD outsells everything by a billion to one.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby Fr33Kye » 27 Mar 2013, 19:25

Malmo wrote:I don't think it's over, I just think it needs a proper distribution service, kind of like steam on PC. The closest thing android has is tegrazone, which has games that only make use of tegra processors. Basically, you need a storefront which contains games approved of a certain level of professional quality. Indie games and to be honest, a gazillion crap apps (crapps?) fill the regular play store to the point it's nigh impossible to find anything.
If they could implement such a system then voila, instant solution to proper developers having their games on the shelf for everyone to see without them being overshadowed by all the garbage.

If sony were smart they would make sure Playstation Mobile turns into this....
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Skullet » 27 Mar 2013, 19:43

FixBeatGames wrote:i don't think mobile gaming is over, but i do think indie devs are pushed for time.

big companies, such as EA, are finally putting their money and people into proper mobile games, as soon as that happens regularly and with more of the big players, all the indie devs/games will suffer, just like they do on the COD-MACHINES at present, where COD outsells everything by a billion to one.

In fairness Indie devs usually don't need to sell anywhere near the same number of copies to make a profit. I personally think there is more than enough room for indie devs and bigger devs, the more games the better I reckon. If people want a system with hardly any games then buy a Wii U. :)
Skullet 60

Postby shellster2 » 27 Mar 2013, 20:59

Perversely I think there's just too much content, too many games. As a consumer we want choice, but too much can be off-putting. I think there's just too many console games as well and the average gamer only buys X per year but there's just way more titles that people can buy. This is increased during a recession of course. So we end up with fewer big hitters and loads of people making a loss. Lastly, spending 10's of millions on a game then many more millions advertising them is a recipe for disaster with the exception of COD, Fifa etc. Worrying times if you're in the games business i'd wager.

Bushnell is wrong, those who can swim will be wiping their arses on £50 notes whilst the others may sink with out a trace.
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 68

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby BenThomasFoster » 27 Mar 2013, 21:06

unless of course you get it celebrity backed and it's becomes a fad, but even then it's only around for a few months before it's dumped.
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby Agent75 » 27 Mar 2013, 21:18

And online gaming is in decline. Seems people are waking up and realising that there's more important things to do in life.
Agent75 48

Postby stealth » 27 Mar 2013, 21:25

wasn't it supposed to kill everything?
stealth 47

Postby Noobsaibot » 28 Mar 2013, 01:00

He's kind of right when he speaks about too many crapps populating the iOS and especially the android stores. The problem with mobile gaming (especially on Android) is the same problem that caused the VG crash of 83 - A lack of licensing and quality control. It's a double edged sword though - you need to be able to embrace openness and allow for creative freedom yet still maintain a level of quality control. Using user reviews is not a great method of establishing quality (accuracy wise at least).

Apple's store is not as heavy for crapps as Android but still has it's fair share of rubbish. Perhaps Ouya will mitigate these issues somewhat for Android. But i'm not holding my breath.
I'm kind of a big deal...

Steam ID: noobsaibot21
XBL GT: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)

Currently Playing: Video Games

Noobsaibot 67

Xbox Live: Noobsaibot21
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21

Postby Headsrinker » 28 Mar 2013, 01:01

At last, someone speaking the obvious truth. Mobile gaming is ok for a commute to work, or a bit of toilet action, but it isn't/never has been a threat to console/pc gaming. I've been sick to death of reading how its the future of gaming for the last couple of years.
Headsrinker 49

Steam: TheHeadshrinker

Next