to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Bioshock Infinite review Q&A: Your questions answered

Your comments on our articles.

CVG indulges in some blue sky thinking

Hello! So, that BioShock Infinite, eh? Turns out it's a bit of all right.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Bioshock Infinite review Q&A: Your questions answered

Postby kiddoblivion » 26 Mar 2013, 15:21

What's this I've been reading about "kill boxes"? They say you'll frequently enter a new area in which all exits are then sealed off and you are then pummeled with wave upon wave upon wave of enemies and that these scenarios happen far to frequently. Please tell me this isn't the case.
kiddoblivion 39

Re: Bioshock Infinite review Q&A: Your questions answered

Postby Hardlydan » 26 Mar 2013, 15:57

kiddoblivion wrote:What's this I've been reading about "kill boxes"? They say you'll frequently enter a new area in which all exits are then sealed off and you are then pummeled with wave upon wave upon wave of enemies and that these scenarios happen far to frequently. Please tell me this isn't the case.

Stop playing Space Invaders :p
Hardlydan 2
New user

Postby TheAmazingDaler » 26 Mar 2013, 16:11

kiddoblivion wrote:What's this I've been reading about "kill boxes"? They say you'll frequently enter a new area in which all exits are then sealed off and you are then pummeled with wave upon wave upon wave of enemies and that these scenarios happen far to frequently. Please tell me this isn't the case.

There are these. The narrative explaination is that only Elizabeth can pick locks, and she can't pick locks while you're under attack. As such, you can't progress until you've killed everyone.
TheAmazingDaler

Postby CatfishMurphy » 26 Mar 2013, 17:26

I'm still curious about the 1999 mode. As a wannabe hardcorer I've completed the likes of Rage on Ultra Nightmare, Mass Effect 2 on Insanity, 100 percented Barbie's Horse Adventure, etc; how does the 1999 mode compare to those and is it too much of distraction from the story playing in that mode?

Anyone given it a shot yet?
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby sbradley88 » 26 Mar 2013, 18:45

I'm fuming. I pre ordered this from shopto and it's still not arrived. I blame the post service though, total crap in my area!

Anywhoo I was curious, why is 1999 mode called 1999? Is there a relevence to this?
sbradley88 58

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby wezbit » 26 Mar 2013, 19:28

sbradley88 wrote:I'm fuming. I pre ordered this from shopto and it's still not arrived. I blame the post service though, total crap in my area!

Anywhoo I was curious, why is 1999 mode called 1999? Is there a relevence to this?
I guess it has to do with System shock 2 being played on hard and that that game was released in 1999.
wezbit 42

Postby ingy » 27 Mar 2013, 09:27

TheAmazingDaler wrote:

There are these. The narrative explaination is that only Elizabeth can pick locks, and she can't pick locks while you're under attack. As such, you can't progress until you've killed everyone.

The thing i hated about bioshock 2 was the holding of an area while the girl did her thing, this looks to be the same thing, it's lazy programming and i thought/hoped we had seen the last of this kind of mindless gameplay. Should have been reflected in the reviews.
ingy 63

Postby wishface » 27 Mar 2013, 10:42

I'd happily play this game, but it's only got a shelf life of a couple of weeks. Once you've completed it, that's it folks. Yes you might replay it from time to time, if that's your bag. Not really mine.

Bioshock was fun, Bioshock 2 was fun, and I liked the multiplayer (other than the horrendous pervasive lag). Infinite looks like, well, more of the same.

I think games like this should be sold at a cheaper price.
wishface 41

Postby fionn1 » 27 Mar 2013, 14:08

whats that you say Lovefilm? you have dispatched my copy of bioschock infinite 1 day after release why thank you very much :D
fionn1 45

Xbox Live: Breenington

Postby Skullet » 27 Mar 2013, 20:05

I don't think it's Green Man Gaming that's offering the deal with the extra games as Steam were offering the exact same deal as a preorder bonus.
Skullet 59

Postby Skullet » 27 Mar 2013, 20:09

ingy wrote:

The thing i hated about bioshock 2 was the holding of an area while the girl did her thing, this looks to be the same thing, it's lazy programming and i thought/hoped we had seen the last of this kind of mindless gameplay. Should have been reflected in the reviews.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind it so much but the combat in Infinite isn't very satisfying, I got bored shooting at people after an hour or so and I find I can't play the game for anymore than an hour or 2 before I have to switch it off. I would also agree that this should have been reflected in the review as it does make the game a bit of a chore to play.
Skullet 59