The Walking Dead Survival Instinct review: Dead game walking

Your comments on our articles.

Activision's zombie FPS is starved of braaaaainnzzz

From one perspective, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct isn't as bad as it first seemed in a clutch of shocking screenshots and one glitch-filled gameplay reel (including such shockers as characters gripping combat knives like shotguns). From another it's much, much worse. Rarely are retail releases these days this, well, awful.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby brookie_2001 » 26 Mar 2013, 13:52

I don't think this game needed a 2 page review. Just a screen shot.

My brother actually bought this game. I said why didn't you go with the actual good Walking Dead game and he said he didn't like the look of it. Needless to say, i no longer consider him my brother.
brookie_2001 62

Postby EvilWaterman » 26 Mar 2013, 14:03

Who are these people/developers that are making this shite? I know for one that they CANNOT be gamers.

I get the impression that these poor games are made by people that still think gamers are a max age of 13
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 55

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Re: The Walking Dead Survival Instinct review: Dead game wal

Postby Rothepony » 26 Mar 2013, 14:06

I don't think this game needed a 2 page review. Just a screen shot.

My brother actually bought this game. I said why didn't you go with the actual good Walking Dead game and he said he didn't like the look of it. Needless to say, i no longer consider him my brother.

You did the right thing.
Rothepony 55

Postby PixelBedlam » 26 Mar 2013, 14:13

Don't get me wrong this game is not great by any stretch, however it is worth pointing out that one of your gripes (that they can't break through doors) is wrong, I was playing this on Sunday and many times I shut doors behind me only to find a horde can tear it apart. And in terms of it pushing them aside when you open said door, what would you rather? the door to pass through them?

Still a meh game though.
PixelBedlam 5
New user

Postby Goona » 26 Mar 2013, 14:15

Wow. I've never seen such a low score on this site!
Goona 52

Xbox Live: DrklyDreaminDex
PSN ID: DrklyDreaminDex

Postby sbradley88 » 26 Mar 2013, 14:22

Goona wrote:Wow. I've never seen such a low score on this site!

They mustn't of been paid off by Activision. Greedy company :wink:
sbradley88 59

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby Windowlicker79 » 26 Mar 2013, 14:24

PixelBedlam wrote:Don't get me wrong this game is not great by any stretch, however it is worth pointing out that one of your gripes (that they can't break through doors) is wrong, I was playing this on Sunday and many times I shut doors behind me only to find a horde can tear it apart. And in terms of it pushing them aside when you open said door, what would you rather? the door to pass through them?

Still a meh game though.

How did they get that wrong? I've not actually played the game, but it seems as though CVG didn't either!
Unless it changes with the difficulty level and they just ploughed through it on easy to get the review out of the way?
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby budge » 26 Mar 2013, 14:30

The higher ups at Activision aren't going to like these reviews.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Postby PixelBedlam » 26 Mar 2013, 14:34

Windowlicker79 wrote:
PixelBedlam wrote:Don't get me wrong this game is not great by any stretch, however it is worth pointing out that one of your gripes (that they can't break through doors) is wrong, I was playing this on Sunday and many times I shut doors behind me only to find a horde can tear it apart. And in terms of it pushing them aside when you open said door, what would you rather? the door to pass through them?

Still a meh game though.

How did they get that wrong? I've not actually played the game, but it seems as though CVG didn't either!
Unless it changes with the difficulty level and they just ploughed through it on easy to get the review out of the way?

I'm playing through on Normal and the various sections that the reviewer refers to are only from the first 2 and a half levels. I'm not saying the game deserves more than a 3, however I just find that the door gripes are wrong-ish and the zombie grapple is an absolutely fine mechanic (which is used similarly in TellTale's Games which no one complained about.) Again I'm not saying this game deserves more than a 4 or 5 i'm just saying that some of the issues in this review are wrong or flawed.
PixelBedlam 5
New user

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 26 Mar 2013, 14:49

Conspiracy!!!! All evidence points more to a 2.8 score!! Obviously EA paid someone off with a brown envelope full of swag!

Boring isn't it?

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 64

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby funkyjack » 26 Mar 2013, 16:24

There really is no excuse for this.

Given the vast number of other zombie survival horror games to steal from, the popular license (i.e. it's almost guaranteed to sell) and Activisions big pockets they could have really done something special. Sad.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby freds1 » 26 Mar 2013, 16:29

Conspiracy!!!! All evidence points more to a 2.8 score!! Obviously EA paid someone off with a brown envelope full of swag!

Boring isn't it?

It sure gets old, KK. As for the conspiracy, who knows.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 57

Postby FishyGinger » 26 Mar 2013, 16:35

funkyjack wrote:There really is no excuse for this.

Given the vast number of other zombie survival horror games to steal from, the popular license (i.e. it's almost guaranteed to sell) and Activisions big pockets they could have really done something special. Sad.

You can have all the money and inspiration but it feels like it was rushed so badly. From the review and videos showing some of the features it looks as though it could have been decent had it had another 6 months to a year development time.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Tamoor » 26 Mar 2013, 16:48

On the subject of the doors, I think it might be to do with inconsistency again.

I found that zombies were able to bust through some doors, but weren't able to do get through others. Sometimes they'd just get wedged in a door, which was amazing - obviously.
Watch me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/tamoorh
Follow me on Twitter y'al: http://www.twitter.com/tamoorh
Stalk me on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/tamoorh
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby djhazardous » 26 Mar 2013, 16:50

but walkers in this game can't break doors or smash windows.

Yes they can, I've completed the game and they break through wooden doors, just not steel doors.

The game is pretty good in my opinion, nothing ground breaking sure but It's certainly worth playing.
djhazardous 47

Next