to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Microsoft's maddening Next Xbox silence at GDC

Your comments on our articles.

Monday Muse: Microsoft no-show is Sony's gain

There have always been two groups of people that console companies are beholden to. The first is the paying customer, the other is the game creator.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby CatfishMurphy » 25 Mar 2013, 15:21

It's certainly frustrating and bewildering, worrying even.

There's generally only two reasons for keeping schtum for so long: you've got something worth keeping secret, or you really don't have much to show. Their stubborn, withholding nature suggests they at least think they have the former as it's about as clearer strategy as we're gonna see from MS atm, but that worries me even more since Sony had the same attitude towards the launch of the PS3 which has thoroughly underwhelmed me this gen (a few choice first party titles aside).

Guess we're all going to have to wait until next month to find out which.
CatfishMurphy 38

Re: Microsoft's maddening Next Xbox silence at GDC

Postby stealth » 25 Mar 2013, 15:25

Like pachter says, it doesnt matter how soon they announce. It matters how soon they release. GDC is irrelevant in terms of marketing which nintendo and sony arent particularly doing its more about closed door meetings

What are the holiday titles, the price at the holidays, when it ACTUALLY launches.

thats what matters
stealth 47

Postby theholyone » 25 Mar 2013, 15:26

Sony have really caught out Microsoft with their PS4 news. I bet they thought that they had loads of time to take the next Xbox seriously with Sony being a year late to the table this gen. After all Sony keep going on about stretching it out for longer and longer. I also bet Phil told them that Sony had nothing in development, which they probably didn't when he left. But Sony seem to be digging deep and really focusing on new product at the moment. Be it phones or tablets or Playstation they do appear to have the bit between their teeth. Sony's finances haven't been looking great the last couple of years, so to spend on developing a new console will also have caught out quite a few other people.
theholyone 49

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 25 Mar 2013, 15:30

They are gonna wait for E3, its utterly pointless revealing stuff now, would only serve to disappoint.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby stealth » 25 Mar 2013, 15:30

DAEDALUS79 wrote:They are gonna wait for E3, its utterly pointless revealing stuff now, would only serve to disappoint.

Thats probably the best spot
stealth 47

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 25 Mar 2013, 15:35

Three highlights to me: the PS4, the Fox Engine, and the SimCity closing talk.

The latter will most likely be very interesting in light of its launch woes. Or very funny, depending on where you stand.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby StonecoldMC » 25 Mar 2013, 15:49

So I taker it MS aren't going to have a Presser in April to reveal the NextBox then . . . . . Or are they!?!?!?!?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby vulcanraven01 » 25 Mar 2013, 15:49

I think it's all about E3 for Microsoft.
Sony have announced too early in my eyes, and didn't even show the actual console (crazy) or anything of actual note.
It seems they were more interested about being the first to announce their next-gen console, to create that buzz, while Microsoft wait until they can show us everything at once, and get those pre-orders rushing in.
Like this gen has shown, it's not about how powerful a console is. PS3 was more powerful than 360 but the actual games that took advantage of that were few and far between.
It's about making the console as easy for developers to work with as possible and also as easy for gamers to interact with as possible, while also having some killer games and some exclusive DLC for big multi-format games.
If MS can continue what they have started with 360, then it's hard for them to go wrong really.
Sony have it all to do with PS4 and they know it.
vulcanraven01 59

Postby sonic_uk » 25 Mar 2013, 15:54

I can't see how not showing the Next Xbox at Gdc is a "mistake"? Microsoft have already announced a huge event in April that's garnered to gather as much interest in their new product as possible, so why would they spend all that money getting that ready, only to show it off at some other multiplatform gaming conference where they would have less of an impact and have to share the limelight with other projects?

Regardless, I'm very skeptical indeed about what M$ have to offer - my guess it that is will be a media hub Kinect crap fest, so am eagerly anticipating the big event. I'm also still waiting for Sony to clarify the used games thing after they were repeatedly asked if the games required a one-off "online pass" to work, and repeatedly dodged the question every single time. They said the console doesn't have to be "always connected" to play games, but they didn't elaborate on whether there would need to be an initial connection to verify any online activation requirement either for a new game or secondhand. I'm also awaiting clarification on the "motion bar" thing as Sony said the controller is designed to be used in conjunction with it, but yet again didn't elaborate when asked if they had to be used together at all times or if it was strictly optional. Reading between the lines it seem obvious that both the "online pass" and "motion bar" will be mandatory, but I wish to know these things for certain before deciding whether to even bother with next gen.
Last edited by sonic_uk on 25 Mar 2013, 15:58, edited 3 times in total.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby rick » 25 Mar 2013, 15:56

The clue is in the title GDC, it is not and never has been intended for media announcements or public consumption. People need to manage their expectations regarding the purpose of the GDC.

Just because you aren't aware of MS discussing their next gen console at GDC, it does not suggest they don't have developer support. As you are well aware, meetings also go on behind closed doors at GDC.

There really is no issue here, MS are working on making THEIR announcement soon, and the people they are involved with will be well on script.
rick 40

Xbox Live: Ammogeddon
PSN ID: Ammogeddon

Postby CatfishMurphy » 25 Mar 2013, 15:57

theholyone wrote:Sony have really caught out Microsoft with their PS4 news. I bet they thought that they had loads of time to take the next Xbox seriously with Sony being a year late to the table this gen. After all Sony keep going on about stretching it out for longer and longer. I also bet Phil told them that Sony had nothing in development, which they probably didn't when he left. But Sony seem to be digging deep and really focusing on new product at the moment. Be it phones or tablets or Playstation they do appear to have the bit between their teeth. Sony's finances haven't been looking great the last couple of years, so to spend on developing a new console will also have caught out quite a few other people.

Sony are, to use a poker term, betting out of position by announcing first and it really won't make that much of a difference once the Nextbox is announced (would you buy a console ahead of another purely because it was announced first?), so I think Sony's advantage is minimal at the moment.

Far more important are release dates, prices, and titles at launch. These criteria are what it's all about.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby Get Over Here » 25 Mar 2013, 16:03

StonecoldMC wrote:So I taker it MS aren't going to have a Presser in April to reveal the NextBox then . . . . . Or are they!?!?!?!?

There is no NextBox.

There is this thing called the Kinect 2.0 though. It's a standalone machine with it's own processor.

I think that is what everyone is missing. MSFT are re-branding their gaming division to just 'KINECT'.
Last edited by Get Over Here on 25 Mar 2013, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
@KazHiraiCEO "Yes they are crunching, Geoff. Crunching like delicious Doritos potato chips"
Get Over Here 47

Postby frazzerr » 25 Mar 2013, 16:07

Sony have announced too early in my eyes, and didn't even show the actual console (crazy) or anything of actual note.

What's so crazy about Sony not showing of what the PS4 will look like? What the console looks like is irreverent, it's what's on the inside and what the console offers. Granted Sony never showed anything worthwhile but they did detail the console's architecture and how they made changes to make it less of a bitch to work with compared to the PS3. I've worked with the PS3 architecture in uni and if the PS4 is easier to use, all I can say is thank f*ck.
frazzerr 44

PSN ID: frazzerr_1

Postby StonecoldMC » 25 Mar 2013, 16:14

Get Over Here wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:So I taker it MS aren't going to have a Presser in April to reveal the NextBox then . . . . . Or are they!?!?!?!?

There is no NextBox.

There is this thing called the Kinect 2.0 though. It's a standalone machine with it's own processor.

I think that is what everyone is missing. MSFT are re-branding their gaming division to just 'KINECT'.

SOLD!

Ill buy two :D !
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby starvinbull » 25 Mar 2013, 16:18

vulcanraven01 wrote:I think it's all about E3 for Microsoft.
It seems they were more interested about being the first to announce their next-gen console, to create that buzz...

I think you are completely missing the whole point. Sony announced the PS4 and at each major event this year will add to the big picture by revealing more and more about it.
It seems the M$ are going to have a huge info dump at E3 which sounds crazy to me but then I'm sure their marketing guys know what they're doing.
starvinbull 59

Next