BioShock Infinite review: Cloud nine

Your comments on our articles.

Irrational Games' latest creation is bold, beautiful and as far from God as heaven is wide...

"If you have nothing to hide," inquires a demented robot dressed as an American patriot, while indiscriminately firing into a crowd, "then why do you run?" Welcome to the skybound state of Columbia, where madness, paranoia and state-funded terror rule. Welcome to BioShock Infinite.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

BioShock Infinite review: Cloud nine

Postby beastie » 25 Mar 2013, 13:03

Picking it up at midnight
beastie 54

Re: BioShock Infinite review: Cloud nine

Postby TheAmazingDaler » 25 Mar 2013, 13:16

Original strapline, rejected by CVG's editors: "Cloudy with a chance of amazeballs"
TheAmazingDaler

Postby 360_Fan » 25 Mar 2013, 13:23

Want this so bad. Too many good games out at the moment. Not even touched tomb raider or gears, now this comes along. Need a holiday.
Last edited by 360_Fan on 25 Mar 2013, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
360_Fan 62

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Mar 2013, 13:24

TheAmazingDaler wrote:Original strapline, rejected by CVG's editors: "Cloudy with a chance of amazeballs"

Good, that would have been totes crap.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby cupoftea » 25 Mar 2013, 13:27

No 2 was a bit of a joke but this 1 from wat ive seen looks good . Going to trade games in at the weekend got 89£ last weekend witch was funky
cupoftea 37

Postby stato257 » 25 Mar 2013, 13:28

Pre-loaded with my finger on the trigger come midnight. Now just hurry up....
stato257 43

Postby Zabba 2 » 25 Mar 2013, 13:47

This will be a fantastic reward for when I finish my dissertation next week.
Zabba 2 65

Postby FixBeatGames » 25 Mar 2013, 13:49

V
Last edited by FixBeatGames on 25 Mar 2013, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby FixBeatGames » 25 Mar 2013, 13:50

so the review's text blatantly highlights that it's a bland shooter, ANOTHER bland shooter, only set in a unique setting (that is laughably unrealistic except for in 'cartoon land').

yet it gets 9.1

cool. when a 2 page review spends a page and a half teasing the story, kinda reeks of a paid for review to me.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby MrPirtniw » 25 Mar 2013, 13:54

Been playing this since Friday (bought it from simplygames for only £29.99) and I'm inclined to agree with the review- though I haven't completed it yet. The world they've created is absolutely amazing- full of things to look at and despite being ridiculous is totally believable in the way its presented. The opening part of the game had more 'wow' moments than most games have in their entirety!
The creepy setting, slower pace and moral decisions seem to have gone and been replaced by combat which to be honest I have found a bit disappointing. It's pretty cool combat, forcing you to think on your feet (and a million times better than Bioshocks), but i was kind of hoping for more than just a shooter with a few interesting powers thrown in. So far simply exploring Columbia has been my favourite part of the game all the while getting to know Booker and Elizabeth's characters as the story unfolds.
This is still very much Bioshock in that you still scavenge money, health and ammo, you still explore a bizarre and brilliant new world, you still pick up voice recorders to learn about the history and side characters and you still essentially have plasmids but replace the creepy splicers and big daddies with soldiers and patriot robots- except make them far, far more numerous.

So far I wouldn't be giving it a score as high as CVG but I'll wait until I've completed the game until I fully decide.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby TheAmazingDaler » 25 Mar 2013, 13:56

FixBeatGames wrote:so the review's text blatantly highlights that it's a bland shooter, ANOTHER bland shooter, only set in a unique setting (that is laughably unrealistic except for in 'cartoon land').

yet it gets 9.1

cool. when a 2 page review spends a page and a half teasing the story, kinda reeks of a paid for review to me.

Oh, don't be so tedious.
TheAmazingDaler

Postby Rob Crossley » 25 Mar 2013, 13:57

Zabba 2 wrote:This will be a fantastic reward for when I finish my dissertation next week.

Well done mate. Keep working hard, stay off this website for now, keep your head down, make your dissertation perfect and get playing! :)
Associate Editor, CVG
Opinions above are my own, not employer's.
Rob Crossley
CVG Staff

Postby Tamoor » 25 Mar 2013, 14:00

FixBeatGames wrote:so the review's text blatantly highlights that it's a bland shooter, ANOTHER bland shooter, only set in a unique setting (that is laughably unrealistic except for in 'cartoon land').

yet it gets 9.1

Wow
Watch me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/tamoorh
Follow me on Twitter y'al: http://www.twitter.com/tamoorh
Stalk me on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/tamoorh
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby Tamoor » 25 Mar 2013, 14:00

Zabba 2 wrote:This will be a fantastic reward for when I finish my dissertation next week.

Good luck Zabba, show that dissertation who's boss.
Watch me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/tamoorh
Follow me on Twitter y'al: http://www.twitter.com/tamoorh
Stalk me on Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/tamoorh
Tamoor
CVG Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 25 Mar 2013, 14:02

yet it gets 9.1

I know, it's the same with that mario character. So cartoony yet always gets good scores. I reckon it's an anti-nintendo conspiracy. How do these reviewers live with themselves, getting paid to review things and whatnot?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Next