to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Blockbuster UK saved by rescue bid

Your comments on our articles.

264 stores saved with some 2,000 staff remaining

Battling entertainment retail chain Blockbuster UK has been saved from liquidation following an eleventh-hour sale of the firm.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Blockbuster UK saved by rescue bid

Postby richomack360 » 25 Mar 2013, 10:32

Great news, lets hope Blockbuster get to grips with modern life and offers a figital service, cheaper proces and keeps the helpful staff at my local shop

:D
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Blockbuster UK saved by rescue bid

Postby Mat Ombler » 25 Mar 2013, 10:53

Hopefully Blockblister will be better. Much better.
Mat Ombler 34

Xbox Live: JADE GOODYS BR
PSN ID: LordOmbler

Postby steve w » 25 Mar 2013, 11:24

Mat Ombler wrote:Hopefully Blockblister will be better. Much better.

What's block blister? bloody auto correct.
steve w 57

Postby RustySpoon80 » 25 Mar 2013, 11:26

What can Blockbuster do to survive in the long term? I rent all my films from LoveFilm these days as its easier.
Hopefully the new management can bring something that cant bee offered by digital or online.
The high street has taken some real big knocks these last few years. I cant imagine what the future will look like.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby richomack360 » 25 Mar 2013, 11:48

steve w wrote:
Mat Ombler wrote:Hopefully Blockblister will be better. Much better.

What's block blister? bloody auto correct.

Its a new wart cream Steve - keep up man!
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 25 Mar 2013, 12:25

Blockbuster marketplace online is pretty sweet so im glad theyve been saved
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby sonic_uk » 25 Mar 2013, 15:20

I gotta say I'm extremely surprised by this. Deloitte take over failing companies and sell every asset they can before closing them down, its what they do. This "undisclosed amount" offered must have been way too good to refuse. Both my local Blockbusters stores (one of which was huge) have shut down this past month so its good for the remaining staff in the stores that are still open to still have jobs, but I really cannot see how Blockbuster are going to compete with the likes of Netflix etc, and people like me who buy rather than rent as films are so cheap nowadays anyway.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 25 Mar 2013, 17:08

RustySpoon80 wrote:What can Blockbuster do to survive in the long term? I rent all my films from LoveFilm these days as its easier.
Hopefully the new management can bring something that cant bee offered by digital or online.
The high street has taken some real big knocks these last few years. I cant imagine what the future will look like.

Adopt a business model similar to Love Film but make it so that you can pick up films from the store. basically you'd pay x amount for unlimited rentals per month but you'd be able to chose what you want on the spot, in the shop rather than making a list and hoping to get it eventually.

they'd have to make it so that you still have late fees and some restrictions to stop people taking the p**s but that'd be a great way to get more people interested especially if they didn't charge more for games like Lovefilm do.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Agent75 » 25 Mar 2013, 17:41

For £9.99 a month, I get 4 discs a week (2 at a time) from Lovefilm, which can top 20 discs a month. That would cost me a bomb from Blockbuster, but I'll admit that a few discs have gone for a walk in the post (waiting to get them) which was the Royal Mail's fault. Even if it's not your fault, Lovefilm can close your account. This happened to someone else I know who's taking legal action against the Royal Mail. Lovefilm is a great idea, it's just they're daft to trust Royal Mail. I've had problems with the Royal Mail on and off since 2003, they're basically a corrupt organisation. No surprises that as soon as I join Lovefilm, the Royal Mail cocks up as usual. So that's the only downside to renting discs by post. Think I'll have to settle for watching them online (with Lovefilm), but will need to get unlimited broadband which ads to the cost. But as for Blockbuster, they're been ripping people off for years, just like the Royal Mail.
Agent75 48

Postby ricflair » 25 Mar 2013, 17:45

sonic_uk wrote:I gotta say I'm extremely surprised by this. Deloitte take over failing companies and sell every asset they can before closing them down, its what they do. This "undisclosed amount" offered must have been way too good to refuse. Both my local Blockbusters stores (one of which was huge) have shut down this past month so its good for the remaining staff in the stores that are still open to still have jobs, but I really cannot see how Blockbuster are going to compete with the likes of Netflix etc, and people like me who buy rather than rent as films are so cheap nowadays anyway.

Aren't deloitte just the administrators? Of course they take over failing companies, that's what administrators do! They don't actually sell the assets and keep the dough,they just restructure the companies, although I'm sure there's some dodgy stuff going on.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby dwhlufc » 25 Mar 2013, 17:50

Agent75 wrote:For £9.99 a month, I get 4 discs a week (2 at a time) from Lovefilm, which can top 20 discs a month. That would cost me a bomb from Blockbuster, but I'll admit that a few discs have gone for a walk in the post (waiting to get them) which was the Royal Mail's fault. Even if it's not your fault, Lovefilm can close your account. This happened to someone else I know who's taking legal action against the Royal Mail. Lovefilm is a great idea, it's just they're daft to trust Royal Mail. I've had problems with the Royal Mail on and off since 2003, they're basically a corrupt organisation. No surprises that as soon as I join Lovefilm, the Royal Mail cocks up as usual. So that's the only downside to renting discs by post. Think I'll have to settle for watching them online (with Lovefilm), but will need to get unlimited broadband which ads to the cost. But as for Blockbuster, they're been ripping people off for years, just like the Royal Mail.

Reading that was a bit like watçhing a tennis match........... a s**t tennis match.
dwhlufc 76

Postby Barry316 » 25 Mar 2013, 17:52

Yeah but Dave.

The Royal Mail.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby dwhlufc » 25 Mar 2013, 17:54

Barry316 wrote:Yeah but Dave.

The Royal Mail.

Probably got something to do with the illuminati!
dwhlufc 76

Postby Barry316 » 25 Mar 2013, 18:00

Bet he's proper difficult to go shopping with eh.

"Shall i have the Smarties or not? Last time i had the Smarties i wish i'd have got the peanut M&M's instead. But then i remembered when i choked on the peanut M&M's and i've never done that with Smarties. So i think i'll just get the Smarties today and my money is on the 720 before the gaming crash. So in retrospect, i don't like Smarties"
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby Paul Skinback » 25 Mar 2013, 18:05

Eurgh!
What awful news.
So there will still be chav like benefit claimers queuing up for the latest crap blockbuster whilst deciding if the Minstrels family pack would serve as a better breakfast for their 8 kids than the jumbo popcorn bucket.
Delightful.
Old, ungifted and white.
Paul Skinback 79

Next