to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

A third of all Vita game sales are digital, says Sony rep

Your comments on our articles.

Sony's Don Mesa says over 100 games coming to Vita this year

Over a third of all Vita games are purchased digitally via the PlayStation Store.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

A third of all Vita game sales are digital, says Sony rep

Postby Rammsoldat » 22 Mar 2013, 21:53

Ive been tempted to get a vita but im still holding off until there are more games for the actual vita that i want and not just older psp games that i could go get for my psp
#PS4noDRM into the Universe, towards the stars we go
Rammsoldat 57

Xbox Live: brand3d on3
PSN ID: Rammsoldat
Steam: Rammsoldat

Re: A third of all Vita game sales are digital, says Sony re

Postby masterchop » 22 Mar 2013, 22:20

Do you actually know what games are available? There's a fair bit more than just what you see on the shelf.

Bet I could give you a good example of any genre that is not a psp game as you say.
masterchop 42

Postby shev » 22 Mar 2013, 22:23

Not really surprising news to me as a vita owner. Glad to see that other people enjoy it equally much. :D

Rammsoldat wrote:Ive been tempted to get a vita but im still holding off until there are more games for the actual vita that i want and not just older psp games that i could go get for my psp

I would perhaps not buy a vita solely for the PSP games but I would just like to point out that many are actually much better thanks to the 2nd analog stick, which you can assign to handle the camera.
shev 46

Postby Rammsoldat » 22 Mar 2013, 22:42

im not saying that having psp games on it is a bad thing i just want some games that were made for vita before i commit to buying one. Im keeping an eye open for sure, im basically looking for an excuse but its a tough sell convincing myself especially with all other teritories getting a price cut recently so im still lingering about.

Im quite keen on getting a ps4 and having a vita to link up with it would be quite nifty.
#PS4noDRM into the Universe, towards the stars we go
Rammsoldat 57

Xbox Live: brand3d on3
PSN ID: Rammsoldat
Steam: Rammsoldat

Postby mattdark » 22 Mar 2013, 23:16

I'm not that surprised. Most retailers have a p**s-poor selection of Vita Games, so its surprisingly more reliable to get games digitally, shame the prices are still on the stupid side though.
Time to rock n' ruin!
PSN - MattDark86
360 - MattDarkZero
mattdark 50

PSN ID: MattDark86

Postby CDS » 22 Mar 2013, 23:41

I'm one of that third.
Only retail game I got was WipEout 2048, and that was with the console itself.
ModNation Racers Road Trip was bought from the store. Need For Speed Most Wanted was bought from the store after Morrisions didn't have it in stock, but had a £16 and £25 PSN Credit in stock instead.
And this tradition will continue, especially if there are more great games on the PS+ Instant Game Collection.
CDSMEDIA CDS BLOGS

Currently waiting for - Star Wars Battlefront III / New Sonic the Hedgehog
CDS 57

Postby budge » 23 Mar 2013, 00:27

Time to bring down the steep prices for those memory cards then, Sony? I've still only got the 4gig card which came with my bundle and have to keep storing/swapping games to my PS3.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby laslowoodbine » 23 Mar 2013, 00:44

budge wrote:Time to bring down the steep prices for those memory cards then, Sony? I've still only got the 4gig card which came with my bundle and have to keep storing/swapping games to my PS3.

You keep dreaming.

How come you didn't buy a console bundle with a free 8gb card!
laslowoodbine 49

Postby Fr33Kye » 23 Mar 2013, 01:02

No they really need to bring down the cost of memory cards because of all the digital indie games coming to vita. You can't get people to enjoy those games if a 32Gb card is the price of somewhere between 7 and 12 games.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby laslowoodbine » 23 Mar 2013, 07:50

Fr33Kye wrote:No they really need to bring down the cost of memory cards because of all the digital indie games coming to vita. You can't get people to enjoy those games if a 32Gb card is the price of somewhere between 7 and 12 games.

Well I bought a 16gb card, that does me just fine. I have around 9 games plus 5 apps and the odd video, so it does me fine for £32 or whatever it was. I have no need for a 32gb card but you never know third party cards may get released at some point.

On topic the only game I bought at a store for my Vita was Resistance as it was £17.99 in Sainsburys, if it'd had a similar price on the PSN I'd have bought it there instead.
laslowoodbine 49

Postby starvinbull » 23 Mar 2013, 11:50

budge wrote:Time to bring down the steep prices for those memory cards then, Sony? I've still only got the 4gig card which came with my bundle and have to keep storing/swapping games to my PS3.

The prices of memory cards are scandalous, but since upgrading mine from 4GB to 32GB I have to say I have bought more games and played my Vita a lot more.

The memory issue seems like an expensive bottleneck to the Vitas. I think the time has come if it's not possible to reduce the price of memory cards to increase the internal storage by at least 8GB.
starvinbull 59

Postby TheLastDodo » 23 Mar 2013, 12:05

I got a 16GB card, only bought physical versions of LBP Vita and that Sonic karting game, everything else on my card is through Cross Buy and Plus. Got Uncharted, Gravity Rush, PS All Stars, Lumines, Puddle, Tales From Space, MGS HD Vita from Plus too, in effect I've saved around as much as a 32GB card would cost anyway and I've still got like 7-8GB to play with.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby sevvybgoode » 23 Mar 2013, 12:38

I have bought quite a few retail games but since traded them in. Every title I have for my vita now is digital although half of them are due to ps+. As other posters have mentioned though I think a lot of this is due to how hard picking up vita titles is. Unless I shop online I can't find half of its meagre catalogue on the high street and what I can find is exorbitantly priced. There is no way on earth I'm paying 34.99 for Rayman when I can (and have) picked it up for just over a tenner from the store. Same goes for sonic all stars racing, thanks to recent sales I got this for around 15 quid and although it has no resale value I thought it was well worth picking up at that price.

As for the memory cards they are insanely overpriced but once again I'll link to the cex price of £52 for a 32gb card http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=7117192032GB

I only paid 50 quid for one myself a few months ago from cex and it's been the best purchase I've made for my vita barring ps+. The only issue I have is the terrible XMB when using a 32gb card as the layout with those stupid bubbles is ugly and cluttered. I really hope a new update will allow the use of folders or a similar layout to the ps3s XMB as when you have quite a few games etc it's really awkward to use.
There were 11000 gun related homicides in America in 2008, Japan had 6 gun related deaths in the same year. Does anyone know if they play videogames in Japan?
sevvybgoode 53

Xbox Live: sevvy b goode
PSN ID: Sevvybgoode

Postby billysastard » 23 Mar 2013, 14:51

so, 1/3 of vita games are sold digitally, i do wonder if that figure includes the psp games that people who want to play them have no choice but to buy digitally and freebies "bought" through cross buy or ps+ after all it seems that many vita owners have maybe a couple of actual vita games and the rest of the time they are fawning over re-released psp games.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby stealth » 24 Mar 2013, 02:59

a third isnt embracing digital, its embracing physical
stealth 47

Next