to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

GTA 5: 'No timeline' on more info or media, says Rockstar

Your comments on our articles.

Studio wants to ensure there are still "lots of surprises when you play it"

Rockstar has apologised to GTA fans frustrated by the recent lack of updates on Grand Theft Auto 5.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

GTA 5: 'No timeline' on more info or media, says Rockstar

Postby djhazardous » 22 Mar 2013, 13:18

There's always been a media blackout with GTA games, I've never had a problem with it. The only stuff we saw from GTA IV were the official trailers they released every few months on its build up to release.

It makes the games more exciting when you play them like they say.
djhazardous 46

Re: GTA 5: 'No timeline' on more info or media, says Rocksta

Postby Jon Ahmad » 22 Mar 2013, 13:26

Still think they should 'port' it to PS4.
Creator of The Jellydoodz
Jon Ahmad 52

Postby superfruit » 22 Mar 2013, 13:37

I think the constant reveals and media has ruined an element of anticipation in gaming. If I'm interested in a game after the first few bits of info I try to shut off until review time as not to have seen half of it already. There's just information overload these days. I'm leaving the last of us until release day now.

I remember print magazines being your only insight into what was coming and the instant gratification of the media availability now has killed something off, but I suppose if you're not of the print generation you don't miss it.

I suppose it works both ways though as there's plenty of games I'd never try without having a look on youtube to see what the buzz was, or finding out about on game forums.
superfruit 48

Postby budge » 22 Mar 2013, 13:38

I'd like developers and publishes to keep stum about upcoming games more often. There's far too much information about unreleased games and it can take a lot of surprises away. A perfect example was ME2 a few years ago when BioWare release videos on every recruited character in the game.

Even if you choose to not read/watch info on future titles, you always end up hearing about it some other way.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby richomack360 » 22 Mar 2013, 13:56

superfruit wrote:I think the constant reveals and media has ruined an element of anticipation in gaming. If I'm interested in a game after the first few bits of info I try to shut off until review time as not to have seen half of it already. There's just information overload these days. I'm leaving the last of us until release day now.

I remember print magazines being your only insight into what was coming and the instant gratification of the media availability now has killed something off, but I suppose if you're not of the print generation you don't miss it.

I suppose it works both ways though as there's plenty of games I'd never try without having a look on youtube to see what the buzz was, or finding out about on game forums.

Thisy thisy this this
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby WHITEyy118 » 22 Mar 2013, 14:23

I'm not too fussed. If anything I prefer the lack of info which leads to us guessing. Hearing all the thoughts and ideas that people come up with is amazing, whether or not they are included it's just good to hear.

TBH 'most' trailers today are p**s poor anyway. Rockstar (and I'm sure there are more) actually tease people with these trailers that have meaning behind them but others just show lovely clips that they think will wow the audience and almost hypnotise them into buying it. More often than not you see that little caption in a corner saying 'NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY'. That's as bad as film trailers that show all the best bits of the film in that 30 second clip.
WHITEyy118 39

Postby metallicorphan » 22 Mar 2013, 14:31

I have seen enough of the game to know that I WANT IT!!

I would be fine not having any more info released until the game is out....TBH,even if i had not seen anything of the game i would still want it,i trust Rockstar..i can tell you now that i want the new Red Dead game or the new Bully game,all they have to do,is announce them :D
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 22 Mar 2013, 15:03

this is going to slip into 2014
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Mr Manipulation » 22 Mar 2013, 15:09

Really hope they port this to PC or next gen consoles, can't help but feel playing it on current gen this late in the cycle will take some of the shine away.
Mr Manipulation 12

Postby Rammsoldat » 22 Mar 2013, 15:10

Jon Ahmad wrote:Still think they should 'port' it to PS4.

Yeah im hoping for this, im gonna hold of buying it right away in hopes that they do. Im sure id have to wait for a pc version anyway.
#PS4noDRM into the Universe, towards the stars we go
Rammsoldat 58

Xbox Live: brand3d on3
PSN ID: Rammsoldat
Steam: Rammsoldat

Postby SpandexArmstrong » 22 Mar 2013, 15:11

Ah good, i prefer this appoach. I like at least a little mystery in a game. I hate seeing a million articles on a game leading up to its release too. It killed Arkham city for me, and now im sick to death of Bioshock Infinite.....which is one of my most anticipated releases......and isnt even out yet!
SpandexArmstrong 45

PSN ID: Me0wgRavY

Postby fatgangsta » 22 Mar 2013, 16:41

The wait is a bit unbearable and this is doing us no favours were better off forgetting about the game instead of using this as a reason to get more traffic on the site
fatgangsta 39

Postby minato » 22 Mar 2013, 18:38

it's not so much the lack of information i mind but the constant delays, also stating that any info would suddenly reveal the whole game / story is abit of an exaggeration, they released plenty of behind the scenes stuff for red dead and max payne as this is now all part of publishers marketing strategies, i think they mean't to say "we don't feel the need to update our loyal supporters as you'll still buy our games even if we p**sed on orphans". I bought every past gta title on day of release but the timing being what it is now is to close to next gen release for me to bother.
minato 31

Postby moogiesboy » 22 Mar 2013, 20:27

minato wrote:it's not so much the lack of information i mind but the constant delays, also stating that any info would suddenly reveal the whole game / story is abit of an exaggeration, they released plenty of behind the scenes stuff for red dead and max payne as this is now all part of publishers marketing strategies, i think they mean't to say "we don't feel the need to update our loyal supporters as you'll still buy our games even if we p**sed on orphans". I bought every past gta title on day of release but the timing being what it is now is to close to next gen release for me to bother.

Shameful I know; but yes, I would still buy GTAV if Rockstar really did start pissing on orphans.
moogiesboy 50

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby Onomatopoeia » 22 Mar 2013, 20:49

djhazardous wrote:There's always been a media blackout with GTA games, I've never had a problem with it. The only stuff we saw from GTA IV were the official trailers they released every few months on its build up to release.

It makes the games more exciting when you play them like they say.

Rockstar never talk about anything ever. Ever since the Hot Coffee scandal they've gone dark.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Next