to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Unofficial Wii U price cut 'not working', UK retailers claim

Your comments on our articles.

Firms warn Nintendo it could be 'facing another GameCube'

UK retailers claim unofficial Wii U price cuts haven't had the desired impact - and have called on Nintendo to act fast if it wants to revive the console's flagging sales.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby EighteenSky » 21 Mar 2013, 16:13

Pretty sure most people would get the Premium model not Basic, so its not that shocking. Another negative Ninty news article by CVG, hardly surprising as you seem to hate them.

It's been what 5 months since its release. The games are coming, its similar to Vitas situation last year but the Wii U has a hell of a lot more on the horizon than Vita did and does even now.
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U), Pokémon X (3DS), Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Next to play: My Girlfriend is the President (PC), Battalion Wars 2 (Wii), Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
EighteenSky 70

Wii Code: Wii U - EighteenSky

Postby SuperCinos » 21 Mar 2013, 16:17

Is my memory faulty or was there never an "Official" price point for Europe?

Pretty sure Nintendo set it in America and Japan, but left Europe to work out it's own price. As such, how can Nintendo announce a price cut for a device they never priced in the first place?
SuperCinos 53

Re: Unofficial Wii U price cut 'not working', UK retailers c

Postby richomack360 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:21

EighteenSky wrote:Pretty sure most people would get the Premium model not Basic, so its not that shocking. Another negative Ninty news article by CVG, hardly surprising as you seem to hate them.

It's been what 5 months since its release. The games are coming, its similar to Vitas situation last year but the Wii U has a hell of a lot more on the horizon than Vita did and does even now.

But its the shops stocking the gear that are complaining, not CVG yeah ?

We have a strong and broad line-up of software launching this year

Should read

We should of had a stronger and broader line-up of software at launch

Quick, get the pitchforks !!!!

Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Zabba 2 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:21

£200 for the premium console and you might have a deal. I'm not about to invest £250+ in something with next to nothing in terms of quality first party titles. I made that mistake with the 3DS by buying it at launch.

Pikmin 3 might have stirred my interest if I'd had played the previous two. Wind Waker HD is obviously a great opportunity to relive a classic, potentially with extras, but that alone is not enough to warrant purchasing the console. Smash Bros is probably a long way off, especially with Sakurai's recent health problems, not to mention it'll be available on 3DS. Zelda Wii U is similarly a long way away. Bayonetta 2 is actually a decent exclusive for the console, but again, I can't justify buying the console just for that.

Nintendo really need to announce/show off some impressive stuff at E3. Announce a new F-Zero and Star Fox and I'll buy one straight away.
Zabba 2 65

Postby Agent75 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:26

The Wii U can survive against the Xbox 720 and PS4, but as ever, games have dried up. Exactly the same situation right from the SNES (I got one at launch all them years ago) to the Wii. It's just a Nintendo thing. But when you weigh it up, as stated in another post, even at say £179.99, it won't sell, even with a game. I think Nintendo is looking at £149.99 with a game (Nintendo Land). After playing Nintendo Land, it's not very good and is no way worth around the £40 mark. Nintendo's obsession with controllers which started with the Nintendo 64, hasn't paid off with the Wii U. Too many problems with it. Biggest being price point at launch, thirdparty support will drop due to the tech and no hard drive (or even a hard drive bay). With all the other faults, it's got a future, but I think a low price can only save it.
Agent75 48

Postby Tivan » 21 Mar 2013, 16:31

Hi SuperCinos: UK retailers set their own Wii U prices, but they do so based on the trade price at which Nintendo sells them the console, which is what they’d like to see reduced. I can’t confirm this, but it was previously claimed that the trade price for the basic model was £205, meaning that - if the number is accurate - retailers are already selling systems at a loss.
Tivan
CVG Staff

Postby Agent75 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:32

Zabba 2 wrote:£200 for the premium console and you might have a deal. I'm not about to invest £250+ in something with next to nothing in terms of quality first party titles. I made that mistake with the 3DS by buying it at launch.

Pikmin 3 might have stirred my interest if I'd had played the previous two. Wind Waker HD is obviously a great opportunity to relive a classic, potentially with extras, but that alone is not enough to warrant purchasing the console. Smash Bros is probably a long way off, especially with Sakurai's recent health problems, not to mention it'll be available on 3DS. Zelda Wii U is similarly a long way away. Bayonetta 2 is actually a decent exclusive for the console, but again, I can't justify buying the console just for that.

Nintendo really need to announce/show off some impressive stuff at E3. Announce a new F-Zero and Star Fox and I'll buy one straight away.

The likes of Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Metroid, Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, Starfox, Smash Bros. and Pikmin are games I'm not interested in (quite a lot I know). Still waiting for all these new and amazing games from Nintendo, it didn't really happen with the Wii. Bayonetta 2 will be great, but I bet it comes out on other consoles (look at what happened to the Dreamcast exclusive of CODE: Veronica). Same thing will probably happen with ZombieU. From Nintendo, I wouldn't say no to a Wave Race 3 and a Stunt Race 2. I'd bet a new F-Zero is in the works. But you can't get away from the fact that most gamers have probably got sick of the same old Nintendo franchises.
Agent75 48

Postby FishyGinger » 21 Mar 2013, 16:34

Tivan wrote:Hi SuperCinos: UK retailers set their own Wii U prices, but they do so based on the trade price at which Nintendo sells them the console, which is what they’d like to see reduced. I can’t confirm this, but it was previously claimed that the trade price for the basic model was £205, meaning that - if the number is accurate - retailers are already selling systems at a loss.

Are you only saying that because you apparently hate Nintendo?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Malmo » 21 Mar 2013, 16:34

The problem is, it's competing with platforms that are 7/8 years old. It's missed basically all the game's from the generation it's competing with and developers are not going to put resources into a platform that has a pathetically small userbase at a time when they need to get working on next-gen projects.
Imagine if the wii u was actually out alongside the ps3/360 and something like the improvements in Deus Ex were out actually competing with the original launch of the game on ps3/360/pc. I'd have gone for the wii u version easily.
Nintendo has historically depended on 1st party games, but the wii u doesn't really have much quality in that area either.
Malmo 63

PSN ID: dead2theworld

Postby frazzerr » 21 Mar 2013, 16:37

Another negative Ninty news article by CVG, hardly surprising as you seem to hate them.

CVG are a media outlet dedicated to video games, so when UK retailers raise concerns about the sales of the WII U, CVG are not to report on a important story because Nintendo fans are over sensitive. Grow up, it's interesting and relevant news in the industry therefore an article was written ...
frazzerr 44

PSN ID: frazzerr_1

Postby Vhyper1985 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:38

"price cut not working" ... well no duh, there's still not that many games out for it so to be honest most people won't see the point of buying unless there's content there for them to enjoy. I bought a WiiU because i know that there are games coming later in the year (Pikmin3, W101, new 3D Mario, Retro studios new project, Bayonetta2, possibly Eternal Darkness, Wind Waker HD, New Mario Kart & Smash Bros to name a few), problem is average joe public who aren't as informed as us won't know this + as with all console launches there's always 3-4 decent launch titles then there's a drought for months (something which Sony may be learning from since it looks like they are continuing to make new games for PS3 during the PS4 launch period.) i think retailers are just gonna have to be patient & wait to see what happens on this one.

Also they're considering giving WiiU less space on shelves? My local Asda superstore doesn't even stock the games for it let alone the console & my local GAME has one very small section in the corner of the shop where you wouldn't even notice it unless you were looking for it. I think the main problem Nintendo's gonna face is when the PS4/ new Xbox is launched, Ninty's going to have to come out with some amazing games to make owning one worthwhile.
Vhyper1985 52

Postby slamatron » 21 Mar 2013, 16:40

just wait till e3, once it gets the games it'll sell.
slamatron 50

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby lonewolf2002 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:44

EighteenSky wrote:Pretty sure most people would get the Premium model not Basic, so its not that shocking. Another negative Ninty news article by CVG, hardly surprising as you seem to hate them.

Do you only visit this site? Plenty of others are reporting this NEWS funnily enough.
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby TheLastDodo » 21 Mar 2013, 16:46

^ They all hate Nintendo too then :lol:
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Zabba 2 » 21 Mar 2013, 16:47

In regards to 3rd party games, we'll end up seeing a few cool exclusives (or at least temporary exclusives, as Agent75 said I also fully expect Bayonetta 2 to find its way onto other platforms) here and there from the big developers like Capcom and Sega, but to be honest the 3rd party library will probably be largely made up of enhanced ports of old 360/PS3 games. As Malmo said, why make the effort when...

1. The majority of resources will need to be put into Durango/PS4 titles to capitalise on the launch of a new generation and...

2. There's a plethora of existing titles that Nintendo-centric gamers didn't experience on the Wii that are just waiting for a bit of dusting off and tacked-on Gamepad features towards a re-release.

Cynical I know, and though it might not seem like it, I am a big Nintendo fan. They've just been very frustrating these last few years.
Zabba 2 65

Next