to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PS3 firmware updated to 4.40

Your comments on our articles.

Improves system stability and adds NFC reader support in Japan

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has released PS3 firmware update 4.40.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PS3 firmware updated to 4.40

Postby mushi_mush » 21 Mar 2013, 12:44

hope GT6 is for ps4 and not ps3. We all know that game like GT needs a lot of power to be great... Cant wait!!!
mushi_mush 21

Re: PS3 firmware updated to 4.40

Postby sonic_uk » 21 Mar 2013, 13:06

The most important thing question is - does it remove that f***ing Singstar icon that appears by default everytime I switch the machine on??!! Just because someone at head office likes the game they decided to put it on everyones machine regardless. What If say I liked Killzone 2 and put an icon on everyones Ps3 that loads up by default regardless? Its madness, Its something I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever, which I didn't put there and cannot get rid of. By definition its malware.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby LiamT » 21 Mar 2013, 13:36

sonic_uk wrote:The most important thing question is - does it remove that f***ing Singstar icon that appears by default everytime I switch the machine on??!! Just because someone at head office likes the game they decided to put it on everyones machine regardless. What If say I liked Killzone 2 and put an icon on everyones Ps3 that loads up by default regardless? Its madness, Its something I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever, which I didn't put there and cannot get rid of. By definition its malware.

agreed. it is annoying. i asked my wife WTF was she doing installing it lol.
LiamT 49

Postby Benson Mutton » 21 Mar 2013, 14:04

As for SingStar icon. Grow up... Your hardcore gamer status is unaffected by it.

As for NFC, a little birdy tells me that it's something to do with PS4 games coming with NFC tags in the box construction. And if you pay for Playstation++ (as opposed to Playstation+), then you can play PS4 games on your PS3 via Gakai, no new console required...
Benson Mutton 2
New user

Postby sbradley88 » 21 Mar 2013, 14:10

Benson Mutton wrote:As for SingStar icon. Grow up... Your hardcore gamer status is unaffected by it.

As for NFC, a little birdy tells me that it's something to do with PS4 games coming with NFC tags in the box construction. And if you pay for Playstation++ (as opposed to Playstation+), then you can play PS4 games on your PS3 via Gakai, no new console required...

What was this little birdy smoking when he told you this?
sbradley88 58

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby laslowoodbine » 21 Mar 2013, 15:56

Benson Mutton wrote:As for SingStar icon. Grow up... Your hardcore gamer status is unaffected by it.

Even if that is true, which is cool by the way. I still would want a PS4 as I can't imagine the image being anywhere near the clarity required to enjoy as a new system.
laslowoodbine 50

Postby Barca Azul » 21 Mar 2013, 18:22

I've no issue with the singstar, but I do with pointless updates.

Is this Japan only?
Barca Azul 62

Postby CatfishMurphy » 21 Mar 2013, 18:39

Given I recently upgrade my long dead fatty (yeah, I hope you know what I mean by that) with a new slim I welcome further updates as I still find the OS a laggy pain in the arse, though this doesn't sound like it's going to fix any of that and will probably just mean yet another 15 minutes of my PS3 sitting there while I wait to play an actual game on it.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 21 Mar 2013, 19:04

mushi_mush wrote:hope GT6 is for ps4 and not ps3. We all know that game like GT needs a lot of power to be great... Cant wait!!!

Considering how crap GT5 was id suggest PD need some Nasa tech to make a decent game if thats the case
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby sonic_uk » 25 Mar 2013, 15:38

Honestly, how pathetic, I swear the mental age of the average gamer is getting younger by the day. I'll tell you what, the next time you try and remove Malware or viruses from your Pc or don't install an Active X prompt I'll remind you to "grow up" and see how you like it. The point is something we don't want and didn't ask for is on everyone's machine because someone at head office chose a game at random because they like it and decided everyone should like it too. If they wish to advertise the game fine, put it on the store with the other adverts where it belongs, but don't force people who have no interest in it whatsoever so see it and its background everytime they turn the machine on.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56