New Xbox 360 spring hardware bundles released

Your comments on our articles.

Consoles, games and Xbox Live Gold on offer while supplies last

Microsoft has released two new Xbox 360 spring hardware bundles.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

New Xbox 360 spring hardware bundles released

Postby Madjeski » 20 Mar 2013, 15:43

I just don't 'get' this console generation... 8 years after release the Xbox (albeit with a couple of games) is still £200! The Playstation 2 (the biggest selling home console of all time) was around $130 at that time in it's console cycle...

And it's not just Microsoft, the PS3 is also far too expensive for a machine that is 7 years old...
Madjeski 47

Xbox Live: MagicMadjeski
PSN ID: Madjeski

Re: New Xbox 360 spring hardware bundles released

Postby Solm » 20 Mar 2013, 16:31

I understand what you are saying Madjeski. But both PS3 and Xbox have far more features than the previous generation, also this generation is the longest running as soon as next gen comes out 360 and PS3 will drop to around 130, but not before then.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 54

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby Agent75 » 20 Mar 2013, 16:34

Madjeski wrote:I just don't 'get' this console generation... 8 years after release the Xbox (albeit with a couple of games) is still £200! The Playstation 2 (the biggest selling home console of all time) was around $130 at that time in it's console cycle...

And it's not just Microsoft, the PS3 is also far too expensive for a machine that is 7 years old...

I couldn't agree more. Gone are the days when you could pick up a console that was at the pension age for under £99.99. If you look at Xbox 360 and PS3 bundle prices, it's comical, I've seen them selling for over £400 with this and that. As I've mentioned many a time in other posts, when you consider how much the 3DS launched for (£230 without a game), the price now is way too high, more so for a 3DS XL with a game and power unit. The Vita is also at a comical price, even the Wii U. Next will be silly prices for the Xbox 720 and PS4 and I bet even then, the Xbox 360 and PS3 will still be dear. Even the new Wii is at a price that adds to crazy console prices (who would buy one of them anyway?...). Consoles selling out at launch just doesn't happen anymore, no matter how good it is. It's set in stone that most just wait. I know there's been more expensive consoles over the years, but 7 and 8 year old consoles at a premium price is taking the p**s. Nintendo could knock out the 3DS for £99.99 easy, the Vita for £149.99. Can't say I'm too bothered about next gen console. But as per usual, I won't be getting ripped off at launch...
Agent75 49

Postby CatfishMurphy » 20 Mar 2013, 19:21

Absolutely ludicrous prices on the 360 and PS3 still! This is the perfect time to pick up late adopters who probably already own the other system, show 'em what they've been missing, and maybe even get a few on your side for the next gen.

But noooo, they still want to act like these are premium items and they must be losing out on so much custom because of this. That said, with no backwards compatibility on the new consoles and given that it normally takes about 18 months for a system selling title to arrive in a new gen, you could argue that the current consoles have got a two year lifespan at least.
CatfishMurphy 38