Major Aliens: Colonial Marines PC update improves visuals, e

Your comments on our articles.

Gearbox tackles the game's most pressing issues with huge 3.8GB update

Gearbox and Sega have released a major update for the PC version of Aliens: Colonial Marines.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Major Aliens: Colonial Marines PC update improves visuals, e

Postby ghuk » 18 Mar 2013, 23:58

Patch installed, noticeable graphical improvements with better lighting, additional fogging / mist as well as a sort of 80's grain film effect added. Anti aliasing however seems to be off (lots of jagged textures now) so had to force it 'on' @ 16x via Nvidia Control Panel. Its a marked improvement to what the game looked like on release and definitely looks a lot closer to the demo that we all thought it was going to be.

Also the alien AI is remarkably better. The Xenos don't run straight at you like they used to do and attack with a lot more variety. Certainly worth downloading guys, oh and it runs like a dream with a GTX 670... :lol:
ghuk 39

Re: Major Aliens: Colonial Marines PC update improves visual

Postby alan666 » 19 Mar 2013, 00:04

Is this the WiiU version of the game then ?

It was said before release that the game works best on the WiiU !

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/34 ... -the-game/
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby MrPirtniw » 19 Mar 2013, 00:26

3.8GB? Ouch! (for any console folk I mean)
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Imaduck » 19 Mar 2013, 02:42

Well that's positive at least :)
Imaduck 58

Postby mayhemdude » 19 Mar 2013, 08:40

polishing a turd?......
mayhemdude 52

Steam: mayhemdude441

Postby turricantg » 19 Mar 2013, 10:09

What I can't understand with all the updates that most game seem to have these days.

For example to correct problems with textures or sprite bugs...Or just the game crashing.

It leaves me with one question....

How the f**k did the game testers miss these things?????

If we the simple folk of gamers with no education in the art of game testing can simply find them by playing the game.

Then what do these people do?

Yes as I understand they test and find a lot of bugs...But some are so obvious that you would have to wear blinkers to miss them.

Are we now buying half made games?......If so can we reduce the cost of buying it???

After all...You don't buy a car with no wheels...Only for the garage to say " Don't worry we will update your car soon and send the wheels to you"
turricantg 23

Xbox Live: wigla

Postby apalmer28 » 19 Mar 2013, 11:59

mayhemdude wrote:polishing a turd?......

Rolling it in glitter?
apalmer28 57

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Mar 2013, 12:11

turricantg wrote:What I can't understand with all the updates that most game seem to have these days.

For example to correct problems with textures or sprite bugs...Or just the game crashing.

If we the simple folk of gamers with no education in the art of game testing can simply find them by playing the game.

Yes as I understand they test and find a lot of bugs...But some are so obvious that you would have to wear blinkers to miss them.

Are we now buying half made games?......If so can we reduce the cost of buying it???

After all...You don't buy a car with no wheels...Only for the garage to say " Don't worry we will update your car soon and send the wheels to you"

You're on a very fine line, squire, comparing cars and games. Point taken though, although the price does drop rapidly for games like this so in a way the cost is reduced. Only not for those stupid enough to pre-order..... :oops:
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby richomack360 » 19 Mar 2013, 12:31

turricantg wrote:What I can't understand with all the updates that most game seem to have these days.

Its relatively simple - the company can employ a team of core testers to test out basic bits n bobs. Then, they can release the game to the thousands who will effectively test the game for them, at no cost to the company. Releasing patches along the way.

What has made dev's lazy is updating via patches on XBL / PSN - so you could argue playtesting (and paying staff to do so) is pointless and not cost effective when compared to the thousands of hours the public can do and the cost of releasing a patch based on gathered data and feedback
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby DoomGuy84 » 19 Mar 2013, 13:13

By the time i actually buy this game (when its around £20) i may actually get the game i hoped it would be! Its almost as if they just released it half completed and thought "ahhh we'll just finish it as the months go on, by about summer it should be done!" Atleast something is being done to right its wrongs though which is a good thing. Still no word on the Wii U release so it looks like that version is getting a complete overhaul!
DoomGuy84 31

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Mar 2013, 13:20

DoomGuy84 wrote:By the time i actually buy this game (when its around £20) i may actually get the game i hoped it would be! Its almost as if they just released it half completed and thought "ahhh we'll just finish it as the months go on, by about summer it should be done!" Atleast something is being done to right its wrongs though which is a good thing. Still no word on the Wii U release so it looks like that version is getting a complete overhaul!

You can (or could at least a day or two ago) get it for that price on Games website with a code. I think I'll wait a bit longer. Maybe half that price again.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Miguel Bain » 19 Mar 2013, 15:17

I decided to forgo the shambles of a game and replicate the experience by supergluing a carefully angled pringles tube to my cats head, spray painting her black and shooting at her with an air rifle whilst going "beep beep" to replicate the motion tracker.

The next gen is here people. Embrace it.
Miguel Bain 11

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Mar 2013, 15:34

Miguel Bain wrote:I decided to forgo the shambles of a game and replicate the experience by supergluing a carefully angled pringles tube to my cats head, spray painting her black and shooting at her with an air rifle whilst going "beep beep" to replicate the motion tracker.

The next gen is here people. Embrace it.

In case PETA read these forums, this never happened. Cat kind and human kind can coexist peacefully.

I really hope that lion isn't dead...
FishyGinger 71