to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

EA CEO John Riccitiello steps down

Your comments on our articles.

Company moderniser steps down after five years and another expected poor fiscal quarter

Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello will resign on March 30, the publisher has announced.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

EA CEO John Riccitiello steps down

Postby fatgangsta » 18 Mar 2013, 21:36

Big who cares the devil still lives
fatgangsta 39

Re: EA CEO John Riccitiello steps down

Postby billysastard » 18 Mar 2013, 21:51

well, i guess its a start, but lets face it, he went from being a champion in promoting new ip's to one of the most hated people in the industry because of his switch to greedy, anti-family, anti-consumer tactics that took ea's share price from healthy to failure and yet i fear that seems not to be noticed by their shareholders.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Barry316 » 18 Mar 2013, 21:55

I hope Bobby Kotick gets it, they'd be unstoppable.

Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 18 Mar 2013, 21:57

billysastard wrote:well, i guess its a start, but lets face it, he went from being a champion in promoting new ip's to one of the most hated people in the industry because of his switch to greedy, anti-family, anti-consumer tactics that took ea's share price from healthy to failure and yet i fear that seems not to be noticed by their shareholders.

Thats the thing, the share holders did notice, but not what you are referring to. Riccitello came in and lauded the need for new IP's, Mirrors Edge a prime example. The problems came when the shareholders found out that some of these new IP's hadnt been instant call of duty successful, and basically threatened to fire the guy if he did anything like it again. The reason for EA's recent decline, the reason series like Dead Space have dissolved into mediocrity and why Mirrors Edge never got a sequel is because the shareholders and the idiots in charge of EA prevented it. Ultimately losing Riccitello isnt a bad thing now, because his power was castrated years ago, but we shouldnt celebrate his departure, because the guy who is coming in is responsible for the period of time where EA was literally the worst cash grabbing mega entity in the entire market. Wouldnt surprise me in the least if the next few FIFA games nosedive in quality.
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby Jingee » 18 Mar 2013, 21:58

I hear Zynga have staff leaving, maybe one of them can take over as CEO.
Jingee 50

Postby BenThomasFoster » 18 Mar 2013, 22:06

Feels like an early Easter present to gaming :)

billysastard wrote:well, i guess its a start, but lets face it, he went from being a champion in promoting new ip's to one of the most hated people in the industry because of his switch to greedy, anti-family, anti-consumer tactics that took ea's share price from healthy to failure and yet i fear that seems not to be noticed by their shareholders.

his predecessor was the one who commissioned the new IP's there's only 2 thing for the greater good john has done is take a punt of brutal legend and resign
Last edited by BenThomasFoster on 18 Mar 2013, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby billysastard » 18 Mar 2013, 22:13

DAEDALUS79 wrote:

Thats the thing, the share holders did notice, but not what you are referring to. Riccitello came in and lauded the need for new IP's, Mirrors Edge a prime example. The problems came when the shareholders found out that some of these new IP's hadnt been instant call of duty successful, and basically threatened to fire the guy if he did anything like it again. The reason for EA's recent decline, the reason series like Dead Space have dissolved into mediocrity and why Mirrors Edge never got a sequel is because the shareholders and the idiots in charge of EA prevented it. Ultimately losing Riccitello isnt a bad thing now, because his power was castrated years ago, but we shouldnt celebrate his departure, because the guy who is coming in is responsible for the period of time where EA was literally the worst cash grabbing mega entity in the entire market. Wouldnt surprise me in the least if the next few FIFA games nosedive in quality.

well looking at ea's share price since he took over it was doing fine until the general market crash but since then its gone nowhere but down as each successive ea release has been more consumer unfriendly than the last, not just talking about mass effect 3 and its crappy ending but origin, spore, dead space 3 having its ending as paid dlc, kingdoms of alamur locking parts of its single player behind an paywall, online passes, microtransactions and lets not forget things like forcing console owners to artificially inflate the number of origin users (must have an origin account to use an online pass game) and even now we have sim city and all its issues and its dropping most support for nintendo after nintendo refused to allow ea to make origin the default nintendo online service (last years game engine on madden + fifa, abandoning future ea sports titles, releasing already complete ports of older last gen games but refusing to allow new dlc for them, refusing to publish crysis 3 on wii u even though crytek had it running).

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby plain_kloz_cop » 18 Mar 2013, 22:18

Wave goodbye to the Rickety Man!
plain_kloz_cop 47

Postby Clusks » 18 Mar 2013, 22:22

Rafa Benitez will be looking for work soon. Maybe they could hire him to be in an interim role...
Clusks 45

Postby Damien Warren » 18 Mar 2013, 22:24

Shame he didn't fall down.
Damien Warren 9
New user

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 18 Mar 2013, 22:26

As someone who actually enjoys most of EA's games it's a shame the guy's got to go. I know EA have made some stupid decisions (bit of an understatement) lately but when this guy took over he made the decision to invest more in the quality of the games they publish. Games like Fifa caught up and then blew away Pro Evo, BF3 on the PC is stunning but we as gamers need to remember that ALL publishers and games devs are in it for the money and nothing more.
Just look how Cliffy B and Robert Bowling jumped ship from the consoles they proclaimed to love as soon as the word was out the new money is being made on mobile and ios games.
It bothers me that the hobby we all enjoy so much seems to be in decline with all the talk about Free to Play and mobile games. Even the likes of EA are struggling and making hundreds of millions in losses.
I guess what i'm trying to say is that i don't think EA are the mighty Satan most people make them out to be, i here all the talk of micro transactions and DLC but i play a lot of EA games and the only thing i have ever paid for after buying the game was premium for BF3 and got great value out of that. I wish things could stay the way they were for years and not change but if the stories about console demise are true, then we need to hope that the likes of EA and Activision can find a way to make developing for consoles profitable because there's a good chance our beloved hobby goes the way of the dodo.
Anyway i'm off to the nuclear bunker now so play nice :D
Two Pennys Worth 55

Postby Penguin101 » 18 Mar 2013, 22:26

Hopefully it means that Crysis 3 can be reinstated to Wii U in a special edition? Wishful thinking but one can only dream :D
Penguin101 32

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 18 Mar 2013, 22:27

billysastard wrote:
DAEDALUS79 wrote:

well looking at ea's share price since he took over it was doing fine until the general market crash but since then its gone nowhere but down as each successive ea release has been more consumer unfriendly than the last, not just talking about mass effect 3 and its crappy ending but origin, spore, dead space 3 having its ending as paid dlc, kingdoms of alamur locking parts of its single player behind an paywall, online passes, microtransactions and lets not forget things like forcing console owners to artificially inflate the number of origin users (must have an origin account to use an online pass game) and even now we have sim city and all its issues and its dropping most support for nintendo after nintendo refused to allow ea to make origin the default nintendo online service (last years game engine on madden + fifa, abandoning future ea sports titles, releasing already complete ports of older last gen games but refusing to allow new dlc for them, refusing to publish crysis 3 on wii u even though crytek had it running).

The problem EA have now is that they have destroyed all of their franchises. Medal of Honour is apparently deceased (although a reprisal wouldnt surprise me), Dead Space has been 'canned' after 3, Mass Effect was slaughtered by fans and has probably destroyed the series' profitability, Need for Speed is a dead horse and has been for years, sim city is currently shitting all over its good name, the skate series petered out after the 2nd release, dragon age 2 was panned and star wars the old republic was quite possibly the biggest financial disaster in the history of games. EA's 2013 release list on wikipedia stands at: tiger woods, army of two (because the first two sold so well.....), fuse, the sims, C&C and Dragon Age 3......the nickel and diming is gonna continue because EA have no cards left to play.
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby richomack360 » 18 Mar 2013, 22:35

24 months pay on leaving? Sounds like a golden goodbye to entice a particular person to leave. Our company did the same to one of its Directors.

He wouldn't go, so they paid him off. I doubt it was 50/50 mutual to begin with.

EA need to have a good long hard look at itself and reassess. It's currently bruised, battered and in need of TLC - here's hoping common sense prevails and they get back to making decent games that the fans want, not what the shareholders want.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby CDS » 18 Mar 2013, 22:43

Wait. EA wanted Origin as the WiiU main online service? Literallybeing the first thing WiiU owners would connect to?
If that did happen, the WiiU's online would probably be in even dire bantha poodoo than it is now, and I'm glad Nintendo saw that.

As for the CEO stepping down, I just hope the new one can fix the online struggle of Origin, and bring some of the downing franchises back to greatness. I like the new Need For Speed, but most of you probably don't. And I see it as a dwindling franchise all the same. They are good games, but Most Wanted pales against the likes of Midnight Club, and that was released at least five years ago.
CDSMEDIA CDS BLOGS

Currently waiting for - Star Wars Battlefront III / New Sonic the Hedgehog
CDS 57

Next