Persuade, don't force me, to be 'always online'

Your comments on our articles.

Monday muse: Compelling online features - not server gates - will push players online, writes Andy Robinson

Forget the troubled launch which saw EA's servers crumble; my biggest problem with SimCity's 'always online' game features is that they simply aren't compelling enough.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Mar27w » 18 Mar 2013, 15:05

Same rules apply when trying to get women to go home with you
Mar27w 46

Xbox Live: MARTY W RFC

Re: Persuade, don't force me, to be 'always online'

Postby Asinine » 18 Mar 2013, 15:53

Still not going to persuade me that a game 'requires' you to be online all the time or you get no game at all.

Unless you're going to call your game a MMO and there is no game without online such as Warhawk, DayZ or whatever, then always online is s**t, do not do it. At least give people the option of playing offline. Demon Souls, Dark Souls, NFS are great examples. Single player is great, do I want to play online now, or even connect up to the online servers now, no.

Oh, and lets not forget that if EA or whoever the publisher is decides to turn off the servers, you have exactly zero game that you can play, thanks, but no thanks to this model.
Asinine 49

Postby adgr19 » 18 Mar 2013, 16:34

i think the only reason simcity has been 'designed' to play online is so they have an excuse for drm, no matter how much maxim or ea protest it isn't.
adgr19 53

Postby jonbwfc » 18 Mar 2013, 17:11

Its implementation of persistent network play feels slightly cynical, with business - not consumer - interests in mind.

Really, you think? :roll:
jonbwfc 58

Postby beemoh » 18 Mar 2013, 18:55

>the ability to struggle through Dark Souls alone is technically feasible

Lies.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Postby tanukilou » 18 Mar 2013, 19:28

EA have let business effect their games. In the case of Sim City, quite seriously. They've crossed the sacred line and must be shunned and left to walk the path of shame. Amen.

And if that Joakim guy isCG.. it would be insanely genius and I wouldn't put it past them. Probably be the best way to reveal a graphics engine imaginable. Expect imitators in the future if it is.
tanukilou 48

Postby Toki zero » 18 Mar 2013, 21:50

beemoh wrote:>the ability to struggle through Dark Souls alone is technically feasible

Lies.

:roll:

:lol: I finished both demon and dark souls by myself and NG+ of the latter without ever summoning help,
both are very easy games if the player has enough patience. AND Knows the rights stats to build for their playstyle.
Toki zero 29

Postby Barca Azul » 19 Mar 2013, 00:08

98% of what I play is single player and offline.

Two good reasons for this, my Internet connection is dog crap and the second, I'm not massively into listening to other people's music played loudly and distorted through their headset.
Barca Azul 63

Postby Asinine » 19 Mar 2013, 08:11

Barca Azul wrote:98% of what I play is single player and offline.

Two good reasons for this, my Internet connection is dog crap and the second, I'm not massively into listening to other people's music played loudly and distorted through their headset.

^^^ +1 x1,000 ^^^

Or playing with wankers just looking to ruin everyone elses game play.
Asinine 49

Postby ingy » 19 Mar 2013, 11:55

The problem with online modes as in Dark Souls, is that you have to rely on peoples goodwill and sense of fairplay.

As i discovered recently while trying to summon help to deal with a boss i was struggling with, only to be instantly killed over and over by players invading my world just to mess with my game.

Yeah, brilliant feature that is!
ingy 64

Postby SuperCinos » 19 Mar 2013, 15:30

ingy wrote:The problem with online modes as in Dark Souls, is that you have to rely on peoples goodwill and sense of fairplay.

As i discovered recently while trying to summon help to deal with a boss i was struggling with, only to be instantly killed over and over by players invading my world just to mess with my game.

I'm pretty sure summoning someone only allows for them to help.

Sounds like you were invaded at the same time however, which is just plain bad luck. :p
SuperCinos 54

Postby ingy » 19 Mar 2013, 16:16

SuperCinos wrote:
ingy wrote:The problem with online modes as in Dark Souls, is that you have to rely on peoples goodwill and sense of fairplay.

I'm pretty sure summoning someone only allows for them to help.

Sounds like you were invaded at the same time however, which is just plain bad luck. :p

You're probably right, but if i reverse hollowing i get invaded straight away and can't get anywhere the boss to lay down an invite.
ingy 64