EA deletes forum posts discussing SimCity offline mod

Your comments on our articles.

Meanwhile, Maxis dev outlines plans to patch in-game traffic issues

SimCity users eager to escape from the game's always-online restrictions have found their discussions and guides removed from EA's own website.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

EA deletes forum posts discussing SimCity offline mod

Postby HelloLadies » 15 Mar 2013, 11:49

Haha.
HelloLadies 53

Re: EA deletes forum posts discussing SimCity offline mod

Postby SuperGamerDude » 15 Mar 2013, 11:59

It's been a complete utter waste of time this "always online" malarkey.

If I was EA, I'd just give up and just make it offline as we all know it's very much capable of playing offline.
SuperGamerDude 55

Postby Jingee » 15 Mar 2013, 12:15

Calling something that brings benefit to the game a "hack"... Well. The writings on the wall for those that didn't think it was just always-on DRM under a different guise.
Jingee 51

Postby ZiggyMoff » 15 Mar 2013, 12:19

Isn't this a bit of a non story, I mean the official website removed posts about hacking an aspect of the game is hardly news worthy is it?. Do this, go to the Steam forums and post how to mod Steam games to work without running Steam (a very similar thing) and see what happens.

I understand SimCity is big in the games news right now due to all its issues, but this one isn't news at all.
---
People can say it wasn't a hack all they want, but it was and of course it wouldn't be allowed on the official forums.
ZiggyMoff 3
New user

Postby illage2 » 15 Mar 2013, 12:31

Its a mod not a hack, the only reason EA removed the forum posts was because EA lied about not having an offline mode for SimCity. It'll be the video next so I suggest people download the video and re-upload it as many times as possible to make the job harder for EA.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby ZiggyMoff » 15 Mar 2013, 12:43

illage2 wrote:Its a mod not a hack, the only reason EA removed the forum posts was because EA lied about not having an offline mode for SimCity. It'll be the video next so I suggest people download the video and re-upload it as many times as possible to make the job harder for EA.

OK they modded out the offline mode, it's still the same thing in the end. It matters not if EA lied about it being needed, it was still something they wanted the game to have.

I agree it was wrong that they had the requirement BUT what I'm saying is - it's hardly news that this was removed from the official forums. It was so obvious it wouldn't be ok to have it on those boards, it's borderline idiotic that someone posted it there thinking it would be ok.

I don't like SP games to require Steam (or any extra services at all) hence I mod them all to run without it, but I'll tell you this - I wouldn't post on the Steam forums how to do it because it isn't allowed.
ZiggyMoff 3
New user

Postby nefariousbig » 15 Mar 2013, 15:45

ZiggyMoff wrote:go to the Steam forums and post how to mod Steam games to work without running Steam (a very similar thing) and see what happens.

Are you not aware of the scale of the problems? It's not the same as doing that, because Steam games are actually playable. This isn't a way for people to get around having Origin open, this is a way for people to play the game they payed for.
nefariousbig 52

Postby ZiggyMoff » 15 Mar 2013, 15:56

nefariousbig wrote:[Are you not aware of the scale of the problems? It's not the same as doing that, because Steam games are actually playable. This isn't a way for people to get around having Origin open, this is a way for people to play the game they payed for.

I'm fully aware of the problems the game is having and it's exactly the same as what I stated (I wasn't comparing the issue, I was comparing the modding out of a requirement), posting how to bypass things like the online requirement isn't something that any official forum is going to allow.

I'm all for the mod and I'm all for an offline mode - but it's kinda stupid to think "well it's OK to put this on the official forums" (not saying you thought that, it's aimed at whoever posted on the EA boards in the 1st place). Basically the mod found a way to bypass a requirement and what is basically the games DRM, post how to get past any requirement/DRM on any official forum and it would result in it getting deleted (regardless of the game working or not).

It's fine that the mod exists and it's great people are trying to fix this game, but it's hardly news that the official forum removed a thread on how to bypass the online requirement/DRM.
ZiggyMoff 3
New user

Postby Noobsaibot » 15 Mar 2013, 17:05

This is developing from simply cheeky on EA's part to downright slippery. I would love (LOVE) to buy this game but I do not want to have to have an always on connection (even if I will always be online barring a technical issue at home).

As a result, I will stick with Sim City 4 or simply wait for the offline 'play & save' crack of this game to play it. I don't feel guilty about this at all. And why would/should I?

No point crying piracy, think of the (devs') children, your killing the industry etc... I refuse to be punished with this kind of DRM as a legitimate customer - especially when customers with an illegitimate (or "hacked") game can seemingly get a better experience. Simple as that really
I'm kind of a big deal...

Steam ID: noobsaibot21
XBL GT: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)

Currently Playing: Video Games

Noobsaibot 67

Xbox Live: Noobsaibot21
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21

Postby Imaduck » 16 Mar 2013, 00:06

I was typing out a whole lot of stuff, putting this all in perspective and summing up anger etc, but then, there's no point, if EA havn't got it yet then it won't get through. So I'll simply leave it with this:

I will not buy another EA published product on any platform, including DLC. I'm done. Get f**ked.
Imaduck 58

Postby nefariousbig » 16 Mar 2013, 03:00

ZiggyMoff wrote:
nefariousbig wrote:[Are you not aware of the scale of the problems? It's not the same as doing that, because Steam games are actually playable. This isn't a way for people to get around having Origin open, this is a way for people to play the game they payed for.

I'm fully aware of the problems the game is having and it's exactly the same as what I stated (I wasn't comparing the issue, I was comparing the modding out of a requirement), posting how to bypass things like the online requirement isn't something that any official forum is going to allow.

I'm all for the mod and I'm all for an offline mode - but it's kinda stupid to think "well it's OK to put this on the official forums" (not saying you thought that, it's aimed at whoever posted on the EA boards in the 1st place). Basically the mod found a way to bypass a requirement and what is basically the games DRM, post how to get past any requirement/DRM on any official forum and it would result in it getting deleted (regardless of the game working or not).

It's fine that the mod exists and it's great people are trying to fix this game, but it's hardly news that the official forum removed a thread on how to bypass the online requirement/DRM.

I think with the scale of the issues this launch has had and the unprecedented level of outrage this could be a time to deviate from the norm. For most games hacks to get around DRM would be justified in being kept away from the forums. But I think with this kind of ludicrously intrusive always online DRM, and the fact that EA lied about the need for the connection, and of course the massive server outages and save deletions, there seriously needs to be a way for all the p**sed off customers who payed for the game to be able to actually play it. If that means allowing someone else to fix the problem they themselves created, then so be it. Maxis needs to just take the plunge, admit they were wrong and the DRM strategy is a disaster, release an offline patch and get working on increasing the lot sizes. From what I've read an increase in lot sizes and a fix to the traffic system would fix a hell of a lot of the games problems.

A lot of people have been claiming that an offline patch would be massively difficult and time consuming. As far as i'm concerned, they already have all the code and software they need for their game to run. If there are any server side calculations going on then they must have some piece of software somewhere specifically made for them. How hard could it be to repurpose that code for home installation? Patch the game to address that software rather than the servers and surely you have a functioning, offline Sim City, at least until something more efficient was worked out? I'm no coder, but it seems like there are much more complicated solutions to much simpler problems out there in software, can't be too great a feat. GlassBox is propietary software is it not?
nefariousbig 52

Postby billysastard » 16 Mar 2013, 09:05

its an EA game, just don't buy the damned thing.

on a side note, how many people are going to pay to buy the ending of dead space 3?

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby gmcb007 » 16 Mar 2013, 16:06

While I feel bad for anybody who bought this this scam, I am loving this whole fiasco. Serves EA right for trying methods nobody wants.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby shogunreaper » 17 Mar 2013, 13:43

They modified the game

Not sure if they serious...
shogunreaper 47

Postby richomack360 » 17 Mar 2013, 20:07

Imaduck wrote:I was typing out a whole lot of stuff, putting this all in perspective and summing up anger etc, but then, there's no point, if EA havn't got it yet then it won't get through. So I'll simply leave it with this:

I will not buy another EA published product on any platform, including DLC. I'm done. Get f**ked.

How about Colonial Marines 2, if it was published by EA ? :mrgreen:
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Next