I fell like I've let the team down, says SimCity boss

Your comments on our articles.

Lucy Bradshaw apologises to Maxis team and insists "this was my responsibility"

The executive at the centre of the SimCity server calamity has said the past ten days have given developers at Maxis "the most challenging situation that any of us have ever faced".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

I fell like I've let the team down, says SimCity boss

Postby Asinine » 14 Mar 2013, 15:11

You've let yourself down, you've let Maxis down, you've let the sim people down but most of all you've let everyone down.

PPP.

Hara-Kiri is the only option I'm afraid.

But seriously, this on-line all the time requirement crap is a joke!
Last edited by Asinine on 14 Mar 2013, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Asinine 49

Re: I fell like I've let the team down, says SimCity boss

Postby SuperCinos » 14 Mar 2013, 15:24

She admits fault but doesn't appear to understand the reason so much outrage happened.

The reason of course being that had there have been an offline mode then none of this "calamity" would have occurred. People would have just happily made their cities offline whilst the servers sorted themselves out for those that even wanted to play online.

Failing to implement that is the problem. Always online DRM is the problem. Not that the servers simply buckled under the pressure (which lets face it was a certainty anyway).
SuperCinos 54

Postby cupoftea » 14 Mar 2013, 15:28

how much r ea paying you to say this anything to get the blame off them
cupoftea 37

Postby shogunreaper » 14 Mar 2013, 15:34

They wanted to force people to play online but then not fork out the money to actually let them.

Nice job.
shogunreaper 47

Postby Bambis Dad » 14 Mar 2013, 15:37

Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 14 Mar 2013, 16:05

Funny stuff when I keep getting internal server errors on this site.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Mar 2013, 16:10

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:Funny stuff when I keep getting internal server errors on this site.

I would say ditto but I'm clearly being scatty today. Oh well, nice monkey villain.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby jacksj1 » 14 Mar 2013, 17:06

Quote : Test your game in the real world as much as possible because your players will challenge your game in ways that you never thought possible

Perhaps Mz. Bradshaw would be kind enough to tell us whose decision it was to limit beta testing to hour long periods so no-one found all the broken and poorly thought out systems in the game. You know something is wrong when the devs actually use the asset 'FudgedPopulation' throughout the game code.
jacksj1 4
New user

Postby Josh298 » 14 Mar 2013, 18:37

the team and fans of your game
Josh298 44

Postby alan666 » 14 Mar 2013, 20:56

so us the fans are victims of sim citys success then ? :roll:

now what about sorting out the appalling AI ? :x
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby slamatron » 15 Mar 2013, 05:14

this game has turned into a joke, the drm is unnecessary and ridiculous and the ai is just terribly programmed, needs a lot of sorting out.
slamatron 51

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby verrg5 » 15 Mar 2013, 05:26

verrg5 35

Postby Asinine » 15 Mar 2013, 08:34

^^^ !!! Filthy spam alert !!! ^^^

verrg5 wrote:https://epicfreeprizes.com/?ref=2886713
free microsoft points!

!!! Filthy spam alert !!!
Asinine 49

Postby AlienClown » 15 Mar 2013, 09:19

I understand that people want an offline mode but in all honesty I don't know, and have never known, a single person that pays for PC games. I personally don't approve of that but they don't see it as an issue. I'm not saying that all PC owners illegally download games but I'm calling it how I see it. So I can appreciate why measures such as always online are taken. This seems to be a simple case of them underestimating how many people wanted their game, and the strain that would put on their servers. As I understand it servers can be a very costly investment. Perhaps they didn't want to invest too heavily in them given that Sim City isn't really a big name anymore.

Ultimately the people to blame for this are all those who illegally download games. Obviously the industry has to react to that, especially when it's so prevalent. As long as there's so much piracy with PC games the industry will take increasingly tough measures to fight it, and that will sometimes compromise the customer's experience.
AlienClown 31

Postby Asinine » 15 Mar 2013, 10:11

AlienClown wrote:I understand that people want an offline mode but in all honesty I don't know, and have never known, a single person that pays for PC games. I personally don't approve of that but they don't see it as an issue. I'm not saying that all PC owners illegally download games but I'm calling it how I see it. So I can appreciate why measures such as always online are taken. This seems to be a simple case of them underestimating how many people wanted their game, and the strain that would put on their servers. As I understand it servers can be a very costly investment. Perhaps they didn't want to invest too heavily in them given that Sim City isn't really a big name anymore.

Ultimately the people to blame for this are all those who illegally download games. Obviously the industry has to react to that, especially when it's so prevalent. As long as there's so much piracy with PC games the industry will take increasingly tough measures to fight it, and that will sometimes compromise the customer's experience.

I am a console gamer and to a lesser extent a PC gamer, I buy all my games and have done since the Amiga era (although I did purchase and pirate on that). So I must be the only one who pays for stuff that you know.
I despise the "always online" mentality and want nothing to do with it although I do play multiplayer occasionally. If a game is "always online" I just do not buy it. That's also one of the reasons I decided to stop buying COD, after MW it ended up being a tiny offline game and a massive online game.
It's a big shame for me as I liked SimCity, I will not be buying this SimCity and as I'm the only person who pays for stuff, that's their only sale gone.
Asinine 49

Next