to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm review: The Jim and Sarah sh

Your comments on our articles.

Blizzard's long-awaited StarCraft 2 expansion puts the AAA into B-movie

Sarah loves Jim. Jim loves Sarah. Sarah and Jim hate Arcturus. Sarah and Jim are seriously confused by Zeratul. Yet, despite their mutual love, hatred and confusion, Sarah and Jim just can't get it on.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm review: The Jim and Sarah sh

Postby BenThomasFoster » 13 Mar 2013, 13:48

Not as good as fall of the Samurai

Wow what a blunder for a game in such a large dev time and cost. Blizzard cannot possibly say now that activision isn't effecting them.
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Re: StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm review: The Jim and Sara

Postby Dalaeck » 13 Mar 2013, 15:47

I think CVG gives it a fair review, kudos. I would probably put it mid 70s from what I've seen though I haven't played it yet to be fair. It's in the "E" for "Effort" range.
I fully agree with the previous poster, this is now an activision game, through and through, Blizzard of the 90s doesn't exist any more.
Dalaeck 42

Postby SwordKing » 14 Mar 2013, 02:19

As somehow how HAS bothered to play it before commenting...

This is a nonsense review.

The reviewer clearly did a quick play through on the 'Casual' or 'Normal' difficulty settings, did not touch the Arcade, AI Challenges, Skirmishes or any Custom Games.

The actual campaign that takes '10 to 12 hours' to complete, is about 1/8th of the content that was just released.

I've been playing Wings of Liberty for 2.5 Years, as have hundreds of thousands of other people, and the majority of us played the campaign for several days, then went on to the endless other content.

Reviewing HotS without mentioning multiplayer or other features outside a small aside is ridiculous.

When you think of GoldenEye, Halo, Mortal Kombat, or any other game like that...They all had a 'story mode' that people played for like 3 days, then you spent the next 2 years playing against friends.

Nothing about the title is close to 'Blunder'. Blizzard had the top Selling PC games in 2010 and 2012 with SC2 and D3 and I won't be surprised if they do in 2013 now as well.
SwordKing 1
New user

Postby SLayer_xx » 14 Mar 2013, 02:25

I am sorta curious what the reviewer means by polish here. If polish is presentation, art, sounds, cinematics, the number of bugs and glitches, tightness of gameplay etc, do those games actually even approach the level of HotS, or was the reviewer trying to say that this is not his style of game and he likes those better but used a very awkward (and by most accounts easily dismissed) statement about the game? Not ranting :)
SLayer_xx 8
New user

Postby Dalaeck » 14 Mar 2013, 04:03

Sword king, I beat WOL on brutal on my first play through through the game. Yes it took me a few passes on a handful of the maps but no SC2 is quite far from being a hard game, particularly if you've played many RTS before which the reviewer clearly has.
He can't review the *other* content, and frankly I'll tell you right off the bat that WOL was a very poorly balanced RTS when it first hit the market.
I frankly hated the predictable cliche WOL campaign and the reviewer has just spared me some coin because they told me precisely what I expected from the first experience with SC2. I would buy the game day 1 if it was "deep, cool, interesting story with character" and would cross my fingers that the new crop of morons at blizzard might have in fact not made glaring day 1 mistakes. Right now, if it's in a bargain bin, I might pick it up. But they're not getting my $ or time because it looks to be precisely more of the same. Maybe 2 years from now it will be multiplayer balanced.

Just because blizzard sells the top PC games does not in point of fact, make SC2 HOTS a good game. It means their games are/were popular. Farmville was a popular PC game - let's not get quality game and popularity confused.
Finally let's not get graphics and movie style polish confused with quality either. You can have a very pretty, nonsensical cut-scene, tons of meaningless but gorgeous looking explosions, and plenty of one liner dialogue. Not every action movie is a great action movie, even compared to other action movies. That's what the review tells me and I'm inclined to believe it. Good job CVG.
Dalaeck 42

Postby Imaduck » 14 Mar 2013, 09:33

To be fair Ben, comparing FotS and this is like comparing Mariokart and Gran Turismo. They're both going for very different things within the same field. Also, when you think about it, Blizzard run on cliche and classic fantasy storylines and always have and hopefully will. When they try to not do that it goes all horrible, it's what fans like and it has a certain charm. Same as Mario there again in the last bit at least I guess.

Still, it's fair enough at this point in history to not give it a 9+ rating for being basically what's expected. Would like to see more of reviewers "playing the field" like that with big releases instead of just 8 or 9. This is in no way a bad score either you muppets. It's basically "excellent". How is that bad?! Not likely to buy this at least not now, but thanks CVG.

Think he's simply saying that in his experience Slayer, it ran well, looked well and played well. To the high standard you'd expect.
Imaduck 58

Postby Bobsaget » 14 Mar 2013, 12:42

Warcraft came out before Command and Conquer.
Bobsaget 1
New user

Postby Rick_1138 » 14 Mar 2013, 16:45

Got my Collectors ed yesterday, will sort out authenticator tonight (old phone had it on).

I know what to expect, its a bit of a nostalgia fest with shiny graphics, WoL was a good game, i enjoyued the story and got a good few days of playthrough enjoyment.

I ex[ect the same with HotS, its basically a movie with some strategy gaming in the middle.

The collectors ed has some nice things i like (art book and CD) and Blizzard's online requirement at least works every time i have used it, which cant be said for EA's last few attempts.

Then we wait for the protoss expansion in 2 more years and the ball keeps on rolling.

Then its Tomb Raider :D
Rick_1138 33

Postby turricantg » 17 Mar 2013, 22:03

I hope Jim and Sara get it on!!

They have a kid Zerg offspring!

Now that would be a weird expansion!! :shock:
turricantg 23

Xbox Live: wigla