to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Black Ops 2 introduces microtransactions

Your comments on our articles.

'Micro Items' will offer customisation options, "won't affect gameplay"

Activision will introduce microtransactions to the Xbox 360 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 tomorrow.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby richomack360 » 12 Mar 2013, 11:25

Damn, I thought you could change your character to look like TV presenter Richard Bacon.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby RicePudding » 12 Mar 2013, 11:31

Remember the days when you bought a game at its retail price and that was that?
If I still had a PC capable of playing video games I'd just mod myself a camo rather than pay for it, console gamers really are stuck in a corporate loop
RicePudding 5

Re: Black Ops 2 introduces microtransactions

Postby AlienClown » 12 Mar 2013, 11:38

I don't mind this at all.
AlienClown 30

Postby sammikid » 12 Mar 2013, 11:43

Glad i'm no longer buying into the COD series. My last purchase being blops which was traded in shortly afterwards and before that MW2, which again was shortly traded in. It's just gotten to the point where its a good way to waste time.
Now with the addition of microtransactions, i'm all the more thankful. DLC was bad enough.
sammikid 60

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby TheRandyNinja » 12 Mar 2013, 11:46

so instead of addressing the issues like getting killed by your own kill streaks they give us this......
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 12 Mar 2013, 11:50

Didn't take Activision long to see ever more $$$$$$ in COD.

Are they in Battlefield yet or is that going to introdcued for BF4?
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Mar 2013, 11:56

richomack360 wrote:Damn, I thought you could change your character to look like TV presenter Richard Bacon.

He's coming out in later dlc, they have to mocap Kevin Bacon first.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby Tivan » 12 Mar 2013, 12:12

I personally don’t see the problem with these as they don’t offer buyers any gameplay advantage.

Hi MANYOO4EVA, EA offers an 'Ultimate Shortcut Bundle' for Battlefield 3 which instantly unlocks all 119 weapons, gadgets and vehicle upgrades in the game's multiplayer priced at £27 (at launch anyway). You can also unlock various weapons and gear for smaller sums of money too.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/34 ... xbox-live/
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/kit-shortcuts
Tivan
CVG Staff

Postby Ali_ » 12 Mar 2013, 12:38

And so, it starts.
Ali_ 56

Postby murph_77 » 12 Mar 2013, 12:38

No thanks. With the s**t connections and even worse weapons that have naff all balance I will not be wrapping my Scar-H in bacon for £1.37, I would rather put that to some real bacon and feel satisfied. Maybe they should put all their resources into making the game work properly so you can enjoy it instead of this crap. Only ever have problems with Treyarch games, never IW or Sledgehammer etc.
murph_77 44

Postby apalmer28 » 12 Mar 2013, 13:11

10 extra slots! Hmmm might go for that, the joy of this game for me is the constant tinkering of weapons, perks, etc with the new pick 10 system.
10 more slots will keep me happy for hours!

BTW, someone mentioned to me that there's this whole hidden game in Black Ops 2 where you actually run around a pretend area, shooting your chosen guns at real players from all over the world. How I laughed, surely I would have noticed that :mrgreen:
apalmer28 55

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby sonic_uk » 12 Mar 2013, 13:15

It begins. Innocently enough to begin with with "optional" skins etc, the next game will let you unlock a few extra more powerful guns or better armour, the game after that will be pretty much impossible unless you pay up. This will be introduced ever so carefully and slowly so the next generation of gamers grow up accepting this as "the norm". F*** you Activision and f*** you too £A. Microtransactions have no place in a full priced game. Adding them in via a patch months after release is frankly a p***take.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 55

Postby cupoftea » 12 Mar 2013, 13:37

not even a good article to read tbh we all know this was going to happen sooner or later
cupoftea 36

Postby Jensonjet » 12 Mar 2013, 14:01

I share the same worries as the rest. It's incredibly disappointing a game, a set of developers and more importantly, a publisher that have never shown an interest in this side of the business are now taking more advantage of dedicated fans by incorporating this rather nasty method of extracting a little extra cash. It's bad enough that they have the audacity to charge for maps!?!?

We understand that they're in the business of making money, sure, but don't they already charge enough for map packs? Haven't the games, the series on the whole, proved successful enough that adding a few additional weapon skins could have been used as a little 'thank you for making us f*cking rich' treat to those that have purchased the game? Pretty disgraceful. Definitely greedy.

Oh well, at least the most important people to Activision will be pleased; the shareholders!

Surely this is the first stage towards releasing weapon packs, and other additions that give gamers a genuine advantage over those that refuse to pay extra.

How long will it be until shooters start everyone off with just a couple of weapons with the rest being chargeable? How long will it be until the industry charges gamers for virtual ammo? If that sounds unbelievable, I'm sure many of us would have believed a weapon skin would have been a ridiculous addition to charge for not too long ago.

I have never bought into paying more than the cost of the original game, and already my options are limited on some potential purchases. It seems they're soon to become even more limited.
Jensonjet 47

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 12 Mar 2013, 14:20

Tivan wrote:I personally don’t see the problem with these as they don’t offer buyers any gameplay advantage.

Hi MANYOO4EVA, EA offers an 'Ultimate Shortcut Bundle' for Battlefield 3 which instantly unlocks all 119 weapons, gadgets and vehicle upgrades in the game's multiplayer priced at £27 (at launch anyway). You can also unlock various weapons and gear for smaller sums of money too.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/34 ... xbox-live/
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/kit-shortcuts

Thanks for answering the question in my post.

I thought EA would've incorporated it inot BF, as they did it for Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3.

As long as you don't HAVE to use them to complete the game, I couldn't give a toss about microtransactions.

If stupid people wanna buy them, then that's there problem.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Next