to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wonderbook 'could have sold better', Sony admits

Your comments on our articles.

Product an "important step in becoming more family-focused"

Sony has suggested that its big PS3 Christmas game, Wonderbook: Book of Spells, didn't perform as well as it had hoped.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wonderbook 'could have sold better', Sony admits

Postby StonecoldMC » 07 Mar 2013, 17:36

Struggling to understand how you can have a tie up with Harry Potter and its not a success?

It would seem that the Harry Potter Theme Park is attracting enough Muggles to part with there money and that kinda trip costs more than a PS3. This could be a potential goldmine for Sony if exploited properly.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Re: Wonderbook 'could have sold better', Sony admits

Postby Currychips » 07 Mar 2013, 18:07

All this effort by Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft to keep tapping into this casual gamer market must cost them a fortune.

When will they knock it on the head and go back to concentrating on the core gamer again? Because you see, the thing about casual gamers is that they're casual. Just like their buying habits. The clue is in the name...

The Harry Potter ship sailed 3 years ago, about the same time this product should have been shipping as well.
Do you want Chilli on that?
Currychips 49

Xbox Live: Mr Cheesefinger
PSN ID: westypie

Postby sammikid » 07 Mar 2013, 18:21

When will they knock it on the head and go back to concentrating on the core gamer again?

Sony is trying to tap into that market for the extra revenue which is fair enough. I know a number of PS3 owners with kids that this would work well for but I don't feel they have done it at the expense of the core player.
There are plenty of past and future core titles available that we're more than catered for, to the point my backlog of games is huge, especially with the inclusion of PS+
sammikid 61

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby Ali_ » 07 Mar 2013, 18:42

Wonderbook's probem is that no-one really knew what it was. It's not a game or a book. More an Eyetoy/AR type experience that requires too many pieces of hardware. I don't see why it needed the actual book. It would have worked just as well as a cheap Move download, like Eyepet.
Ali_ 57

Postby stealth » 07 Mar 2013, 18:45

bad game=bad sales
stealth 47

Postby TheLastDodo » 07 Mar 2013, 19:15

Very easy Stone.

- Released same week as CoD. Sony scheduling at it's best. Killzone Vita day after GTA V??? Never learn.
- Wrote by the Harry Potter creator but Sony couldn't get her on stage at E3 to pimp it, that's very telling.
- Barely anyone understood what it was, let alone cared. E3 demo was a disaster, it was boring and it didn't even work properly.
- It wasn't called Uncharted, God of War or Gran Turismo so got little advertising as normally happens with other PS3 exclusives.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Padua » 07 Mar 2013, 19:40

Ali_ wrote:Wonderbook's probem is that no-one really knew what it was. It's not a game or a book. More an Eyetoy/AR type experience that requires too many pieces of hardware. I don't see why it needed the actual book. It would have worked just as well as a cheap Move download, like Eyepet.

I didn't see why either until I saw video of the next book and it all made sense...
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/394249/wonderbook-diggs-nightcrawler-dated-with-trailer/

I don't think its fair to say this is just a casual title.
It is obviously aimed at younger kids and offers some quality family-time entertainment. :D
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Padua » 07 Mar 2013, 19:43

stealth wrote:bad game=bad sales

Have you seen video of the second one?
It's magical I tell you! :mrgreen: I got the same happy feeling watching that as when I first played Super Mario Galaxy.
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Sandbwoy » 07 Mar 2013, 20:54

There's only one game for it yet, I think they need to wait until a few titles are available for it before they decide whether or not it has been a success
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Fr33Kye » 07 Mar 2013, 21:02

Padua wrote:
stealth wrote:bad game=bad sales

Have you seen video of the second one?
It's magical I tell you! :mrgreen: I got the same happy feeling watching that as when I first played Super Mario Galaxy.

I think it looks great! And i still think wonderbook is a good idea. It's unique, innovative and could turn into something great if it's handled right!
Fr33Kye 71

Postby djhazardous » 07 Mar 2013, 22:22

Did anyone actually see it advertised anywhere? You know places that attract the masses? TV adverts? Billboards? That sort of thing? I saw neither of those.
djhazardous 46

Postby sammikid » 07 Mar 2013, 23:28

djhazardous wrote:Did anyone actually see it advertised anywhere? You know places that attract the masses? TV adverts? Billboards? That sort of thing? I saw neither of those.

I saw it on TV I think once, thats about it. Though i'm not the target audience so it was lost on me
sammikid 61

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby djhazardous » 07 Mar 2013, 23:35

Me either, but I figured that was probably the most likely reason for it under-performing.
djhazardous 46

Postby Barca Azul » 08 Mar 2013, 01:16

I got it for my niece. She liked it and I thought it was quite good actually.

I'm guessing it hasn't been marketed very well mind.
Barca Azul 62

Postby SuperGamerDude » 08 Mar 2013, 09:53

Wrong console at the wrong time.

This would of been ideally paired up with the Wii a few years back when the last Harry Potter movie came out.

PS3 considered to be a more mature gaming console.
SuperGamerDude 54

Next