Counter-Strike: Condition Zero now available for Linux

Your comments on our articles.

More Valve titles coming to the PC operating system

Valve has released a Linux version of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, the company's fifth port for the operating system.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Counter-Strike: Condition Zero now available for Linux

Postby Dalaeck » 07 Mar 2013, 00:16

That's great news. We want all the titles on linux! I can't wait for the day when I can play Skyrim on Linux and can finally be rid of my otherwise neglected and useless Windows OS.
Dalaeck 42

Re: Counter-Strike: Condition Zero now available for Linux

Postby Skullet » 07 Mar 2013, 04:23

Dalaeck wrote:That's great news. We want all the titles on linux! I can't wait for the day when I can play Skyrim on Linux and can finally be rid of my otherwise neglected and useless Windows OS.

I wouldn't get rid of Windows anytime soon as there is probably more chance of Jimmy Savile being posthumously voted in as the next pope than there is of Bethesda porting Skyrim to Linux. :)
Skullet 62

Postby Sangor » 07 Mar 2013, 10:04

Skullet wrote:
Dalaeck wrote:That's great news. We want all the titles on linux! I can't wait for the day when I can play Skyrim on Linux and can finally be rid of my otherwise neglected and useless Windows OS.

I wouldn't get rid of Windows anytime soon as there is probably more chance of Jimmy Savile being posthumously voted in as the next pope than there is of Bethesda porting Skyrim to Linux. :)

With Valve putting their weight behind Linux, other big developers like Bethesda won't be that far away.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Postby Skullet » 07 Mar 2013, 10:35

Sangor wrote:
Skullet wrote:

With Valve putting their weight behind Linux, other big developers like Bethesda won't be that far away.

I personally can't see it, Steambox is likely to be a niche product at best so I wouldn't expect 3rd parties to be in any rush to port games to Linux. Steam is also available on Macs but much like Linux they wont be seeing a port of Skyrim anytime soon, if ever there was a company that wasn't going to port it's games to Linux then Bethesda is probably it.
Skullet 62

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Mar 2013, 10:56

Didn't condition zero come out about 10 years ago or more? Or are they reporting anything that moves over to linux?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Bambis Dad » 07 Mar 2013, 10:59

But you'll be able to play it on you PS3 as it has Linux, oh wait. Well I guess us europeans can still play Global Offensive on the PS3, oh wait.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Mar 2013, 11:12

Bambis Dad wrote:But you'll be able to play it on you PS3 as it has Linux, oh wait. Well I guess us europeans can still play Global Offensive on the PS3, oh wait.

Have you just zinged yourself? Global offensive still not released?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Sangor » 07 Mar 2013, 15:00

Skullet wrote:I personally can't see it, Steambox is likely to be a niche product at best so I wouldn't expect 3rd parties to be in any rush to port games to Linux. Steam is also available on Macs but much like Linux they wont be seeing a port of Skyrim anytime soon, if ever there was a company that wasn't going to port it's games to Linux then Bethesda is probably it.

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with Steambox or whatever name it ends up with, it's about Linux as a gaming OS.
Valve have a massive presence in PC gaming, and if they put their weight behind Linux other developers will follow. As for the Mac thing, Steam on Linux has been available for a month and it's close to overtaking the Mac user base already.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Postby Skullet » 07 Mar 2013, 17:15

Sangor wrote:
Skullet wrote:I personally can't see it, Steambox is likely to be a niche product at best so I wouldn't expect 3rd parties to be in any rush to port games to Linux. Steam is also available on Macs but much like Linux they wont be seeing a port of Skyrim anytime soon, if ever there was a company that wasn't going to port it's games to Linux then Bethesda is probably it.

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with Steambox or whatever name it ends up with, it's about Linux as a gaming OS.
Valve have a massive presence in PC gaming, and if they put their weight behind Linux other developers will follow. As for the Mac thing, Steam on Linux has been available for a month and it's close to overtaking the Mac user base already.

Why do you think Valve are suddenly pushing gaming on Linux? I'll give you a clue - Steambox.

Valve does indeed have a big presence in PC gaming although it's hardly World of Tanks or League of Legends, I read recently that the top 100 games on Steam have about 650,000 concurrent players while League of Legends has 3 million, if a single game can eclipse the player base of the top 100 games on Steam then I think you might be overestimating Valve's ability to kickstart Linux gaming.

We constantly hear devs bitching about PC's and piracy and as a result PC users are often treated as 3rd rate customers with sloppy ports or worse still no release at all, what chance do you think Linux has with what can only be described as a non existent market share compared to Windows?

Like I said before if you are waiting on Skyrim for Linux then you have a long wait.
Skullet 62