to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Are triple-A games losing relevance?

Your comments on our articles.

As indies steal thunder at the BAFTAs, CVG examines the future for big blockbusters

A few years ago it was little more than a token gesture.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby frazzerr » 06 Mar 2013, 19:05

I wouldn't say AAA titles are losing their relevance. Journey was an exceptional game, just because an Indie title cleaned up at the awards doesn't mean interest in AAA is waning. A good game is a good game whether it be indie or not ...
frazzerr 44

PSN ID: frazzerr_1

Re: Are triple-A games losing relevance?

Postby TheLastDodo » 06 Mar 2013, 19:14

A good game is a good game whether it be indie or not ...

+1 and /thread
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby ricflair » 06 Mar 2013, 19:20

It depends. The emphasis on story and Hollywood style effects get in the way a lot of the time. As an example, Far Cry 3 was great when I was taking out outposts and the like, when I was doing the story missions, the characters, swearing and all that jazz just got in the way. Nost of the time they're also so poorly written too, with awful characters.

I find myself more and more turned off by AAA games, maybe that's to my detriment, I'm not sure...
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby karkify » 06 Mar 2013, 19:22

If they were, why are the biggest selling titles like Call of Duty and so on, still the biggest selling titles?
As much as I love "indie" games (whatever indie means now) it seems to be a bit of a fad. There's a lot of "hey look I have retro graphics and retro game play, I'm an indie, buy my game!" instead of "I'm a genuinely innovative game with a lot of heart and time poured into it. Enjoy!".
Both indie and "triple A" devs are the same. They pin their hopes on the fact that they're indie or that this game has had a billion quid pumped into it, therefore it must sell, which is why it may seem like AAA is losing relevance, because they keep doing it over and over again.
If anything this has just proven that people actually approve of the good games and not voting "just because", although I do get the feeling of people being slightly more in favor of indies because they're whats cool right now.
karkify 50

Postby MrPirtniw » 06 Mar 2013, 19:37

No, but I think it's a sign of people wanting to experience new games that offer something more than just explosions, shooting and racing. AAA blockbusters will always be around- but they always seem to be the same games pulling in the big numbers. I think it's the George Lucas effect setting in where the fun and charm is slowly withering away and being replaced with cutting edge tech.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby flash501 » 06 Mar 2013, 19:53

As popular as indie games are at the minute, surely all of the big Triple-A games are comfortably outselling them? So no, as it stands, triple-A games aren't losing their relevance. However, the big games are costing more and more to develop now, and have to sell an enormous amount just to break even, so, in the future, who knows? Maybe publishers will decide that cheaper indie games where they are far more likely to make a profit is the way to go?
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby ricflair » 06 Mar 2013, 19:57

Surely part of it comes down to whether you directly associate 'relevance' with commercial success? I wouldn't do that with music or films, and I won't do it with games. Relevance is subjective anyway I suppose. AAA games are becoming less and less relevant to me.

And you'd expect the big AAA games to out sell them, seeing as they probably cost 50 times as much to make, plus a huge marketing budget. If this wasn't the case, publishers would drop them quick smart!
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby tanukilou » 06 Mar 2013, 19:59

"Next year, when indies compete with new blockbusters on new hardware, will be the acid test."

Why compete? Why not have both supporting eachother and the medium? Just different experiences. I love Journey just as much as I love a bit of MGR. I actually have a strong feeling that Sony's success with Journey really opened their eyes - as it should. It's getting them recognition and applause from all sorts of audiences and opening up new people to their brand. **** trying to win over the casual market with gimmicks, just go for sheer creativity.

Most interesting of all. How many people were in the development team? It took 18 people to make Journey and look at the success and recognition it's gained them. Instead of pissing about with microtransactions and moaning about development costs I think 'they' should be learning from games like this. Ideas over explosions.This is what you get when you take talented people and let them realise a vision without meddling and poking your nose in. No "big boards with pictures of Vin Diesel on them and Wesley Snipes ..in his Blade outfit".
tanukilou 46

Postby Byakuya » 06 Mar 2013, 20:25

Yes they are still relevant and always will be. I think a lot of the problem is there is a handful of franchises now which get annual releases and despite selling vast numbers, really don't bring much more to the table than last years edition. How long til the COD bubble bursts? It barely has any innovation every year and is running on an old engine now so why would it win any awards?

Seems to me that developers are scared to invest in regular new IPs, so what we get is one brilliant game that then gets gets a sequel and thus the cash cow begins or they just stick with the tried and tested.

Us gamers don't help things though, seems people get bored of games a lot quicker and start to demand the next game after only a few months of it being out, so we get fed DLC/patches to keep us playing while they release the next game with a few tweaks and additions, but in amongst the rush to get call of battle creed 25 out they haven't made the game properly so it gets released with bugs galore which takes months to sort out properly and by then most people have stopped playing/given up but they already have your money. Then you get get the DLC which should have been in the game anyway (which people moan about yet still buy) and you have your AAA cash cow.
Byakuya 13

Postby Onomatopoeia » 06 Mar 2013, 20:31

The BAFTA game awards was a f**king disaster in every way. Hitman in the action nominees and Darksouls in RTS.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby eastldn » 06 Mar 2013, 20:53

frazzerr wrote:I wouldn't say AAA titles are losing their relevance. Journey was an exceptional game, just because an Indie title cleaned up at the awards doesn't mean interest in AAA is waning. A good game is a good game whether it be indie or not ...

what he said
eastldn 43

Postby starvinbull » 06 Mar 2013, 21:34

Journey was the best new game I've played this past year. ThatGameCompany created their own aesthetic, language and mythos for the game, which players are left to experience rather than pick apart.
Journey is one of those games that has just the right number of ingredients to make a perfect whole. Could anyone say that combat or dialogue would improve Journey at all?

I enjoyed it so much I haven't replayed it as I think I experienced it exactly the way I should have and want to remember it that way.
starvinbull 59

Postby Two-Headed Boy » 06 Mar 2013, 21:55

The other side of this is less publishers are willing to spend a lot of money on an experimental idea. If you pitched something like Okami today it'd probably be scaled back and be £10 on Steam/PSN.
Two-Headed Boy 32

Postby console_whore » 06 Mar 2013, 22:38

If it were so then gaming is truly dead, in my opinion. I'm not interested in short thrill mini games that I get bored of after 10 minutes thank you :roll:
console_whore 45

Xbox Live: chaosancient
PSN ID: chaosancient2

Postby MrPirtniw » 06 Mar 2013, 23:25

console_whore wrote:If it were so then gaming is truly dead, in my opinion. I'm not interested in short thrill mini games that I get bored of after 10 minutes thank you :roll:

You don't play many indie games do you?
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Next