to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Thief 4 team experimented with Assassin's Creed-style third-

Your comments on our articles.

Eidos Montreal explains directions it could have taken

Eidos Montreal's Thief team has explained a number of reasons for the game's prolonged pre-production stretch.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby ingy » 06 Mar 2013, 12:13

I hope this doesn't mean the new game is 3rd person only, it's got to be 1st person for total immersion, the previous game was either or if i remember right.
ingy 63

Re: Thief 4 team experimented with Assassin's Creed-style th

Postby BenThomasFoster » 06 Mar 2013, 12:28

please just don't implement it. Thief is a game where you shouldn't ever be take out of first person view or your own control
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby fionn1 » 06 Mar 2013, 13:43

Either Vegas 2 style cover with 3rd person back to 1st (hiding behind walls etc....) or do a skyrim and give the option of 1st and 3rd.

I found sometimes while being my thief in skyrim that sometimes it was helpful to have a 3rd person view as well as 1st...just my 5p..I appreciate the purists may want it the same as the original but times have changed since then in gaming design and ideas
fionn1 45

Xbox Live: Breenington

Postby freds1 » 06 Mar 2013, 13:56

In 3 you had a choice of 1st or 3rd, so I don't see the big deal. Just do it again like that, give players the choice. I played it mainly in 1st but there were situations where 3rd was preferable.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 56

Postby TheRandyNinja » 06 Mar 2013, 17:26

first person all the way thief stole my heart iv been waiting for this game for ages. i loved taking out the lights with the water arrows hopefully they stay true to the series but i have full faith as deus ex was tre to form in a way and was an amazing game.
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby corkscru74 » 07 Mar 2013, 14:49

"I noticed that when I asked several directors about the original mandate, there was no clear answer," he explained

But...but...the game's called Thief! It's all there in the title. Surely the mandate should be to make a game, you know, about being a thief!? :lol:

Joking aside, I'm excited for this despite struggling to get into the previous titles. Not that I didn't enjoy them, just didn't feel compelled to get past the first few levels. Was slightly disappointed by Thief 3 in that it was hub-based rather than fully open world.
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby Matthew Collins » 14 Feb 2014, 14:05

Gamers who play first first person shooters do not grasp the simple concept that Stealth does not even exist in first person.

In order for stealth to exist in a game, it requires specific elements that only exist in third person. First person view completely strips all stealth elements out of a game for a number of reasons. People who argue the following points, simply do not understand how stealth actually works and only go by their first person gaming preference to argue these points. Walking up behind an enemy in a game and knocking them out in first person is not the same as doing it in third person.

First person view blocks up to 90% of the view that is needed in order for stealth to be possible.

First person view removes any and all distance judgement which is a requirement in stealth.

Stealth absolutely requires the player to know what is going on around them, first person removes this so you're no longer actually playing, you're now doing what's called guessing.

There is a reason why games like Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed, Mortal Kombat, Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil are not in first person.

Removal of or not including 3rd person in a Thief game, turns it into just another run of the mill first person view game that destroys it.

You cannot play Stealth without the elements of Stealth being there to use, and first person removes all the elements that make stealth possible. And as I said above, people that argue against this with any type of justification simply does not understand how stealth works.
Matthew Collins 1
New user