to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

DICE creative director 'eager' to try Oculus Rift with Frost

Your comments on our articles.

Studio has developer kits incoming

DICE's creative director for Frostbite has expressed interest in Oculus Rift support for the engine.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

DICE creative director 'eager' to try Oculus Rift with Frost

Postby mrlister » 06 Mar 2013, 04:14

I'm more eager to see if the Oculus rift ends up being compatible with any consoles. If only one console is compatible, I will own that one. Whatever it takes! Except buying a PC gaming rig. Can't justify a G. So it had better work with a console!
mrlister 46

Xbox Live: Shinishii
PSN ID: Shinishii
Steam: Shinishii

Re: DICE creative director 'eager' to try Oculus Rift with F

Postby Welsh Jester » 06 Mar 2013, 07:14

I'm very interested in the Oculus Rift, my only concerns with the device is performance. I usually upgrade my video card every few years when needed, my 5870 is in need of a change not long from now. But i'm not sure how the Rift works, it can display stereoscopic 3D.. 1920x1080 shared between 2 eyes, so effectively it's running full HD x2 because it's rendering 3D as well? i don't get how the 3D works, is it built into the unit or do we have separate 3D glasses? it must be built in.

So with that, it would need a fair good bit of hardware to run 60+Fps all the time, i don't know how its going to handle some new demanding game at full HD at a good framerate with the 3D. Some newer games struggle to keep 60+Fps at just full HD without the 3D! and that's on newer graphics cards, i doubt people would want to use 2x graphics cards for it because it would just introduce the (still!) unfixed micro stuttering.

So really my only disappointment with this is if it would bring framerates crashing to a slideshow of 30fps or lower instead of a smooth 60+. The good thing about this thing is the fact that it seems very easy to add support for it, so support can be added to any game really and very quickly.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby runadumb » 06 Mar 2013, 10:42

Sorry Mrlister but welsh has nailed it. To really use the Rift you must have 60fps with V-sync on at all times. Lower than that and apparently the whole thing falls to pieces. So the only console games that could use it would be ones that weren't normally very demanding on system. Still possible, just very niche I'd guess.

EDIT:Although they could maybe just drop the resolution until it works.

@Welsh I too am unsure about the performance hit from 3D. I "think" its a single display split in half with the view mirrored between each eye. I don't understand if that means its a small performance hit (half the pixels of a normal display for each eye) or if rendering the same thing twice is still somehow a full x2 hit.
Suffice to say the former would be great and the later would be very expensive and ideally require 2 high-end GPU's. By the way I've ran 2x570GTX's for over 2 years now and have never (knowingly) encountered micro-stuttering so don't be too concerned with that.

My mate finally cracked and ordered one yesterday so I'll hopefully get some first hand experience in the summer. Then (if it doesn't suck) its just a case of waiting for the proper consumer version.
runadumb 61

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 06 Mar 2013, 14:07

Bf4 would be so good with the Oculus Rift,i would love to see this running on next gen consoles. The PC guys make me laugh with all this 1080/60 fps. Most pc gamers wouldn't achieve this playing current gen games at the highest settings let alone next gen games. According to Steam the Gtx 570 is the most commonly used graphics card and there's no way they could get 60fps @1080 on the highest settings on BF3 let alone next gen games. I have a beast of a Pc with a gtx 590 and this just about manages it. There is no way most Pc gamers will be able to run 1080p 60 fps with 3D and vsync on anywhere near the highest settings. Keep dreaming guys. :roll:
Two Pennys Worth 56

Postby LordVonPS3 » 06 Mar 2013, 14:24

mrlister wrote:I'm more eager to see if the Oculus rift ends up being compatible with any consoles. If only one console is compatible, I will own that one. Whatever it takes! Except buying a PC gaming rig. Can't justify a G. So it had better work with a console!

Ah Mr.Lister you acquaintance and admirer of doctors, dentists and architects. Welcome to Novelty Island!

So this Oculus Rift novelty..... It works with a PC but not with a console? Is that it then?

I didn't think you could get any lower than lard for laughs. Very poor, very poor indeed. Go on - off with you!
Last edited by LordVonPS3 on 06 Mar 2013, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
LordVonPS3 57

Postby runadumb » 06 Mar 2013, 14:29

@two pennys worth
You MUST HAVE 60fps for the effect to work right and not make you want to spit up chunks, so people need to drop detail levels in whatever game they play until that is possible (or upgrade). Its necessary.

I've been talking with my mate who ordered it and confirmed it is a single display (dev kit is only 720p) with the image being split into 2 which halves the resolution each eye will see.
The good part about this is there is only around a 10-15% hit from playing on a normal 1080p display as the GFX card has to do some magic sending a slightly different signal to each eye. So its not a big performance drop.
The bad part is each eye sees only half the pixels so the real resolution is lower. Fair comprise for now. Although I fear those early dev units may look pretty bad at times. Best waiting for the better specc'd consumer version.
runadumb 61