Valve to offer Steam Box prototypes to customers in 'three t

Your comments on our articles.

Early testers to also receive multiple controller designs

Valve boss Gabe Newell has said that Valve will be distributing prototype versions of its Steam Box to customers in as little as three months.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Valve to offer Steam Box prototypes to customers in 'three t

Postby Windowlicker79 » 06 Mar 2013, 00:48

I really don't understand how they're going to fit an entire gaming PC into that little box. I've seen graphics cards with heatsinks that are bigger than it!
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Re: Valve to offer Steam Box prototypes to customers in 'thr

Postby karkify » 06 Mar 2013, 01:16

Windowlicker79 wrote:I really don't understand how they're going to fit an entire gaming PC into that little box. I've seen graphics cards with heatsinks that are bigger than it!

Every part of this is surely going to be custom built. I don't find its size too shocking and "impossible", I mean, while these aren't technically PCs (but are still custom built) we've had consoles offer (at their release) relatively high end gaming in compact packages. I guess they just want to avoid any nonsense like "RRoD" upon release.
karkify 50

Postby ted1138 » 06 Mar 2013, 01:22

Just make it compatible with the xbox 360 controller(I'd be shocked if it ain't already)... :shock:
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby Jensonjet » 06 Mar 2013, 04:20

Could CVG or anyone else point me into the direction of a direct spec comparison with the Steam box and the PS4 please. I'm interested to see how they compare.

Oh, and is it just me or is anyone seriously worried about how much more addictive gaming will become next generation!? I think I might have to retire, buy myself a humongous TV and live the rest of my life in high definition bliss!
Jensonjet 47

Postby turricantg » 06 Mar 2013, 07:07

I think what really worry's me is the name.

Steam box?....Now the only other steam box I know is a sauna that gets really hot.

We all know about over heated consoles don't we?

The red ring of death.....Still it will be much better that the Wii U....A cardboard box with straw in it is much better than the Wii U.
turricantg 23

Xbox Live: wigla

Postby Gameoholic007 » 06 Mar 2013, 08:02

There doesn't seem much too that thing at all, just a tiny little streaming device, woopee. :|
Gameoholic007 55

Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Postby stato257 » 06 Mar 2013, 09:10

Although this looks cool I cant see why I would want it. Given that I've cluttered up my house with a gaming rig, xfire laptop, iMac, Nexus10, PS3, 360 and Vita over the last few years and no doubt will pick up the next gen's later this year, I'm struggling with the idea of this. PC gaming is having a resurgence of late but to experience a discernible difference between PC and the next gen consoles, you're going to need a full size PC - look at the GTX Titan - that thing's the size of an ironing board and its just the GPU!
stato257 43

Postby runadumb » 06 Mar 2013, 10:10

The timing of this concerns me somewhat. Assuming, for the mainstream version at least, they are going for as simple as possible design at a low(ish) price they are going to want to leave out a discrete GFX card and go with one built onto the CPU. I was hoping they would go with AMD's upcoming Kaveri but it isn't expected until end of this year or very early next.

So what are they using? Hardly anything custom, so a A10-5800K or one of intels new Haswell chips? Haswell is expected to only have similar GPU performance to the A10, while kicking its ass in CPU, the less important part.

While all the above is speculation based upon speculation its worrisome. I really hope they are just using a placeholder chip to get everything else right until the release of Kaveri and then swap it out for that. They can always leave space for a full sized GPU if anyone wants to fit one further on down the line.
runadumb 62

Postby badgerpog » 06 Mar 2013, 12:30

Do they need volunteers? I'm up for a bit of testing. :D
badgerpog 62

PSN ID: badgerpog
Steam: badgerpog